Nab cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Nab cup

TigerMasochist said:
No surprise, D.C. is always cynical.

I have precedent on my side - and any cynicism regarding Richmond comes from bitter experience and not having the memory of a goldfish.

David C said:
I have precedent on my side - and any cynicism regarding Richmond comes from bitter experience and not having the memory of a goldfish.

Survivor of the 1983 - 1992 War like some/most of us? ;D

YinnarTiger said:
Where did you find that out?

Leaked on AFL website.

scottyturnerscurse said:
Happy to see that we will play Essendon twice during the home-and-away season.

Yes - that will most likely be our only repeat game against a bottom 6 side - and therefore looks like we won't play the blues twice.

Therefore my guess is we will play Collingwood twice to keep the AFL coffers alive

David C said:

A belief that nothing ever changes, that we are powerless to change anything and that we are in a perpetual loop of misery is pretty much the lived experience of a goldfish.

year of the tiger said:
Yes - that will most likely be our only repeat game against a bottom 6 side - and therefore looks like we won't play the blues twice.

Therefore my guess is we will play Collingwood twice to keep the AFL coffers alive

We are allowed up to two double-up games against bottom six sides, so it is still possible to double-up against all 3. Our other double-up games would then be against another middle six team and a top six team.

DirtyDogTiger said:
83-93 sucked
96 - 2000 sucked but was brief
2001 to 2012 really sucked

Yeah it's been a rocky road since 1993, but from 1983 - 1992 we just morphed from king to pauper and kept falling.

I am a war veteran from those years.....who could forget that bomb at night at the MCG on April 6, 1990 against Norf. I nearly died. ;D

TigerForce said:
Survivor of the 1983 - 1992 War like some/most of us? ;D
Hardwick got a 2 year contract extension in 2012 a couple of days after we defeated the reigning premier Geelong in the NAB Cup. It was classic Richmond knee-jerk reaction to 5 seconds of sunshine and was totally unnecessary.

Just think about it, a novice coach that had basically achieved nothing until then getting a contract extension before the real season had started where you then see if there is any real merit in the overall season's results - was some other club going to somehow poach him from us?

If we happen to beat Hawthorn in the 2016 pre-season I can almost guarantee you there will be dribbling demands to immediately extend his contract again.

David C said:
Hardwick got a 2 year contract extension in 2012 a couple of days after we defeated the reigning premier Geelong in the NAB Cup. It was classic Richmond knee-jerk reaction to 5 seconds of sunshine and was totally unnecessary.

If you think the two things were directly related then more fool you. All our football department decisions since Steven Wright have been considered and professional in terms of due diligence.

Just think about it, a novice coach that had basically achieved nothing until then getting a contract extension before the real season had started where you then see if there is any real merit in the overall season's results - was some other club going to somehow poach him from us?

And yet the appointment was vindicated. We showed steady but clear improvement and in the very next season we made the finals for the first time since 2001.

I'd bet it was this kind of expected improvement that led to the contract extension, not some trivial NAB cup win.

If we happen to beat Hawthorn in the 2016 pre-season I can almost guarantee you there will be dribbling demands to immediately extend his contract again.

Almost? Don't pull your punches at this late stage. I reckon the board will hold fire this year unless we totally blitz the H&A season given our recent finals results.

I'm a healthy cynic myself but your version borders on the paranoid.

Wonder which team will take the NAB serious?
My guess Melbourne.
Then the media will build them up to be top 8 team and they'll end up finishing 16th