My AFL Season (The fixture in 2012 and Beyond) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

My AFL Season (The fixture in 2012 and Beyond)

Could quite simply play each team once & 2 teams from top 6, middle 6 & lower 6. Which ever zone your team falls in you only play one from that area. 17 + 2 + 2 + 1 =22 games still & each team should have a fairish draw. Alternatively you could rejig the last 5 game scenario, top team only get one bottom side etc, I'm sure it can be worked out & be transparent, which is what all fans I think are really after.

Disco Stu said:
Could quite simply play each team once & 2 teams from top 6, middle 6 & lower 6. Which ever zone your team falls in you only play one from that area. 17 + 2 + 2 + 1 =22 games still & each team should have a fairish draw. Alternatively you could rejig the last 5 game scenario, top team only get one bottom side etc, I'm sure it can be worked out & be transparent, which is what all fans I think are really after.

As I have already posted on the other thread on this, this whole proposed system is a furphy. It is utterly UNECESSARY. What the bloody AFL need to do is create an equitable draw under the current system, which of course, they are completely uninterested in doing. The only thing they are interested in is MORE MONEY.

ToraToraTora said:
As I have already posted on the other thread on this, this whole proposed system is a furphy. It is utterly UNECESSARY. What the bloody AFL need to do is create an equitable draw under the current system, which of course, they are completely uninterested in doing. The only thing they are interested in is MORE MONEY.

Yeah I know it's all about the dollar, but we can dream for a fair draw one day!

Disco Stu said:

Play all teams once is not a fair competition.

Richmond would play all the interstaters at their home grounds while Collingwood would play all the interstaters on the MCG - because of their crowd pulling :vomit

Now guess which team would make the finals between Collingwood and Richmond under this scenario?

Play all teams twice - once home and once away - in a two conference situation - 16 games - the top four from each conference go into a top Division ranked on the two conference premiership points and percentage - then play a 4 week finals series.

The remaining teams can play a 4 week finals series ranked on premiership points and percentage from each conference and the premiership winner of that series gets a draft consession - the remaining 9 teams get put in a ballot for the draft where the runner up of the second division gets 2 marbles in the ballot the third and fourth teams get 3 marbles the fifth and sixth teams get 4 marbles the seventh and eighth teams get 5 marbles and the ninth and tenth teams get 6 marbles.

Once a teams draft marble has been drawn all their other marbles are removed - once the ballot has been drawn and the bottom nine places in the draft have been finalised - the winner of the second division finals gets their pick plus a priority pick after that the last team in the Top Division gets their draft pick and so on up to the Top Division premiers. This provides an incentive for the bottom 10 teams who did not make the finals to play well to achieve a priority pick at pick 11 and will stop tanking as chance plays a role in who gets the first pick, second pick and so on up to pick 9.

The above equals a 20 week season - 16 H&A Games and 4 Finals (6 weeks less than the current season - these 6 weeks could be made up of a knockout season played on certain weekends set aside during the home and away season like the English FA Cup). Thus you could have two winners in the one season - the Premirship winner and the Knockout Competition winner - some seasons they could be the same team.

The only fair competiton is where each team plays each other twice and in a short season of only 22 to 24 rounds, two conferences - is the only option IMO......

ToraToraTora said:
I called mine "p!ss off GC and GWS!"

:clap

ToraToraTora said:
If they were really serious, they would get rid of finals. Only way to be sure the best team of the year wins the premiership.

gee thats such a sokka comment. go wash your mouth our with soap :spin

*smile* me.

What is wrong with these people? Why do they always complicate everything? And why do they always want to change everything?

They will say they are exploreing all options. Why can't they ever just back themselves and say we have a winning formula and there is no need to change it.

Basically, make the season 24 rounds. That seems pretty logical. Make the balance between who everyone plays one and twice as even as possible so no gets all tops teams or all bottom teams twice.

And just leave it as a top 8 as we have now. 8 finalist out of 18 seems logical. 12 finalists, really.

Having 8 finalsists out of 16 has been too many. Every year the 7th and 8th team just make up the numbers and get flogged in the 1st week of the finals ( Ess last Year ) and then the prelims are always the top 4.

When we talk about top teams, we refer to them as top 4 sides. We don't say top 8. Thats because being in the top 4 is what it is about. It is what we aim for. The premierships are won by being in the top 4. The rest just make up the numbers.

So why therefore if we have dud finals every years from teams 5-8 because they are just middle of the road teams, why would you want to have more middle of the road teams and more dud finals?

They might make the argument that it keeps the season more interesting. But thats rubbish. If you have a game between 16th and 18th late in the year, well bad luck.

A final 8 out of 18 is about right. The top 4 will sort itself out, and give another 4 the chance to play in finals too. Every now and then a team from 5-8 might win a few finals, maybe one day even go all the way, but generally the best will be top 4, the next 4 get some chance, and the last 10 miss out because they are average and don't deserve finals.

Simple.

Every hear of keeping it simple AFL?

I'm sure it'll justify several jobs at AFL House, but can anyone explain how the concept of conferences is going to improve the game?

Each club plays every other club once.
The clubs that play each other twice are the ones with the top average attendances over the previous five years, e.g. Ca v Co, Co v Es, Es v Ri etc.

Easy, predictable, transparent, and the AFL gets to keep its blockbusters.

Or if fairness is the primary concern, just institute a rolling draw. It's not rocket science, or shouldn't be.