Most one-sided player of the modern era? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Most one-sided player of the modern era?

tigertim said:
Grigg, Chaplin and Tiv are certainly the first that come to mind. Oddly enough I keep thinking of the lef footers with no right foot rather than the right footers with no left.
I'm sure Tivendale's other foot was only there for balance, he never used it to kick with.

One of my kids is completely left-sided when he plays Basketball and completely right-sided when he plays Football. He instinctively moves one way or the other depending on the sport he is playing.

Figure that one out.

TOT70 said:
One of my kids is completely left-sided when he plays Basketball and completely right-sided when he plays Football. He instinctively moves one way or the other depending on the sport he is playing.

Figure that one out.
Go away Tottie, your kids doing my head in.

Jack Dyer, only ever knocked blokes out or broke their collarbones with his right side.
Is he eligible for the modern era?

Harry said:
find it interesting that many left footers struggle on their right, while right footers can manage on their left. any scientific explanation for this?
Stepping onto your left instead of your right works over and over again as a junior. Basically, it wrong-foots players for the first 10 years you play, so you never need to go the other way. Then in big-boy football, the defenders have you figured out, and the lefties have no plan B. I know from experience.

hutstar said:
Stepping onto your left instead of your right works over and over again as a junior. Basically, it wrong-foots players for the first 10 years you play, so you never need to go the other way. Then in big-boy football, the defenders have you figured out, and the lefties have no plan B. I know from experience.

Yes, ive never played aussie rules but had that one figured out ,

We have a similar thing in rugby where your big powerful athletes tend to have limited skills because growing up they can rely on their raw athleticism to beat defenders , your small to mediums have to develop more tricks to do that

TOT70 said:

Figure that one out.

Left handed, right footed Tottie?

Basketball is an interesting one. I play every week in an over 35s comp and we work out pretty early which side good players tend to dribble on when they drive to the basket and set our defence accordingly. Amazing how easy it is to limit the scoring of one sided players down once you do that.

I imagine it's much the same in the AFL. Reckon plenty of teams would work hard to force the likes of Houli & Grigg onto their non preferred.

nikolasmia said:
Matthew Knights wins this

Ha. I've told this sotry a few times but one more won't hurt....

When I was a trainer there in '95 Matt asked for a rubdown and jokes "don't need to do the right leg, don't use it".

hutstar said:

Makes sense.

tigertim said:
Ha. I've told this sotry a few times but one more won't hurt....

When I was a trainer there in '95 Matt asked for a rubdown and jokes "don't need to do the right leg, don't use it".

Good period to be a trainer there, so many great highlights that year then 1 huge lowlight with Northey leaving.

No matter what, Tivendale was a beautiful kick, and enjoyed watching him. Did see him at least once kick with the other foot and it was OK.

graystar1 said:
No matter what, Tivendale was a beautiful kick, and enjoyed watching him. Did see him at least once kick with the other foot and it was OK.
Bit like KB's handball, eh? Claims he only ever did it twice, once was at training and the other time was a mistake.

graystar1 said:

I reckon he had a beautiful looking kick but he missed plenty of targets.

Tried to spear them which resulted in plenty of grubbers and plenty that would go over teammates' heads.

Kicked plenty of good long goals though.

toby64 said:
I reckon he had a beautiful looking kick but he missed plenty of targets.

Tried to spear them which resulted in plenty of grubbers and plenty that would go over teammates' heads.

Kicked plenty of good long goals though.
Tivendale would have been a great finisher in a better side than Richmond was during his time there.