Mentoring program | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mentoring program

Phar Ace said:
Agreed BigBear. Mentoring is great used wisely. I thought the programme was fantastic, and to those that were dissing the calibre of player, the point of mentoring is not a replication of skills, but a sounding board where commonsense can be considered, challenging life skills can be discussed and even grievances kept in perspective once shared.

I miss my mentor.

I know one of the mentors. He was an average player....and the player he mentored was average.
Two negatives equal..... duh! :eek:

Scribblar said:
I know one of the mentors. He was an average player....and the player he mentored was average.

Tommy Hafey by his own admission was just an average player - would have been a nice mentor to have if you were also an average player like Sheedy or Bartlett................ :p

Scribblar said:

That's the glass half empty view.

The other way to look at it is often average players have to work a lot bloody harder to make the grade due to their lack of natural talent. Lining up a mentor who has traveled the same road would be a very good choice.

Mentoring isn't about telling them how to kick a ball, how to position themselves for a mark, or where to run on the lead. That's the job of the coaches.

The mentor is there to help with the other, non-technical, aspects of making it as a player. A good mentor will rarely give the mentee a straight answer, instead keep probing with questions until the mentee works it out himself.

It's the classic teach a man to fish scenario.