Max kudos to Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Max kudos to Hardwick

CC TIGER said:
Agreed, very happy at this point

Personally wouldnt mind seeing Hardwick have an older more expierenced assistant, a bit like Port has with Laidley, but a mit more behind the scences, someone like Lethal just to further his education and bounce a few things off

Good point, maybe this could be a mentor like Tom Hafey or Tony Jewell. I don't think we need another coach in there but an experienced sounding board for Dimma and the entire coaching staff I think has some merit.

I wouldn't like the Laidly thing as now Port are stinking the place up Williams is under real pressure and I have no doubt that Laidly would happily step in if Williams got the chop or wasn't reappointed next year. Dimma doesn't need that.

Ghost of 29 said:
I quote Rudyard Kipling

"If you can keep your wits about you while all others are losing theirs, and blaming you. The world will be yours and everything in it, what's more, you'll be a man, my son."

Dimma didn't panic and more importantly neither did the club as a whole. The pressure that comes with being labelled the next Fitzroy, won't win a game for the next 2 years...it would have been easy to have changed direction in the hope of some short term success to keep the wolves at bay.

As they say in the European cycling commentary - Chapeaux young man, chapeaux

Very well said.

His ability to think of the club and not himself has been great and one I appreciate. Have total trust in him to do us well. A great guy who has great integrity and honesty.

At this stage - Hardwick has been good - no bulldust - full recognition of where we are at wihout sugarcoating it - fairly savage cutting of the list at draft time. Long term decisions. I am certainly content with our achievements so far - but our sights were set fairly low too. for mine he & his assistants are doing a great job.

What is the Hislop rumor ? I would have thought Tom was not looking like a keeper? OK overhead for his height - aggressive (not bad) but bordering on undiscliplined with his attack on the player at times (not so good). Looks slow & can't kick more than 35-40 metres. If we are re-signing him - then the Club must see more than I have to date.

I'd be surprised if we resign him considering he has struggled to get a game the last few weeks. I see potential in him as he will do something fantastic but sadly he'll then stuff it up.

I can't see the Tigers keeping both Hislop and King. Seems as though King may have creeped ahead at this stage.

Absoloutely delighted with DH's "Club first" attitude ..... it seems to be permeating through the playing group . A lot like ....... dare I say .......Geelong.

But If you think about it he has a very similar background and demeanor to the bloke coaching the mob from down the highway.........

The thing that has impressed me most is the upward trend in player development.

The visible improvement in second tier players like Graham, King, Connors and Edwards - Hardwick mentioned early that this would be one of his true yardsticks
The new found maturity to match the consistency of Brett Deledio - it is obvious how much more work he is putting in off the ball
The mouth watering glimpses shown by a much fitter Cotchin - he is truly scary good, I haven't been as enthusiastic about a player since seeing Maurice dance around back in the day
The instant impact by Martin - how long has it been since a first year player at Richmond has shown so much
The upward trajectory of Jack Riewoldt - hopefully one day Nick will be referred to as Jack's cousin

This all suggests that the coaching staff are actually doing what they are paid to do - coach the players.

This is what I am happiest about as this was my biggest issue with the previous regime - there was little evidence (if any) of actual player development.

Hopefully this continues and becomes a form of chemotherapy to rid the cancer that has infected the RFC for so long.