Max kudos to Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Max kudos to Hardwick

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He's been tremendous. Copped all the short-term huff and puff (ie. people who can't see past the next 10 minutes, including Caro and a lot of PRE sooks). Won't win a game for 2 years, worst team ever, no good players etc... I'm rapt. Wallace or Spud would have brought in all our oldest players after a couple of losses to please said sooks. Its telling DH didn't have any to bring back because he sacked them all anyway, except McMahon.

Thankfully now we're showing a bit, (skill that is, we've had guts all year) a lot of short-term thinkers can now see where he's headed with the side and the pressure will be off. Again, top stuff Damien Hardwick.

Love him. Love the attitude, the approach, the honesty, the laid back but determined tone, the focus. I am so much more footy aware these days than I was when wallace took the reins (thanks mainly to PRE!!) - and I have so much more hope for the future because everything Dimma says and does is consistent.

And it's showing on the field.

These are the easy days for Dimma.

No hard game day moves to worry about in an evenly contested battle when the opposition is watching your every move.

This will happen as we become more competitive.

Like the way he has gone about things to date and without an insider knowledge hope he has worked out a game plan and as a result which players to keep to fit into that gameplan going forward.

The future is looking much brighter than it has for over a decade. Even the frawley finals campaign had a all or nothing aroma to it as the playing list was *smile* for depth.

Agreed, very happy at this point

Personally wouldnt mind seeing Hardwick have an older more expierenced assistant, a bit like Port has with Laidley, but a mit more behind the scences, someone like Lethal just to further his education and bounce a few things off

love the no shortcut policy by dimma , that alone has won me over.

CC TIGER said:

Personally wouldnt mind seeing Hardwick have an older more expierenced assistant, a bit like Port has with Laidley, but a mit more behind the scences, someone like Lethal just to further his education and bounce a few things off

Yeah thats a good point. Although the introduction of Lade seems to have done wonders. The resurgence of Gus and development of Ty seems to be working.

CC TIGER said:

Doesn't seem to be working too well for Port.

Agreed!

And another very good aspect of Hardwick's management style is he is prepared to admit a mistake. (Don't laugh how many mistakes did Wallace admit too?)

The foxtel non-interview of Jack after the game - Hardwick stood up and was counted for the error in judgement he felt he made - what an example for all at current day Richmond!

We are stuggling this year from a ladder prespective - we won't play finals - but I feel far more comfortable now with my Richmond Membership than I have for years........cheers RT

Matiger said:
Yeah thats a good point. Although the introduction of Lade seems to have done wonders. The resurgence of Gus and development of Ty seems to be working.

Brendon Lade is HIGHLY rated by current, past and other club players, absolutely get of the year for us!!

I think Dimma is the best thing to come to this club in years.
He's working like a corporate CEO who's taken over an under performing business that's been badly managed.
He's got a firm plan and he's got the faith in it to stick it. Maybe a little tweaking here and there but nothing dramatic.
Like a good new CEO the first phase of his plan is the discovery phase. Understand the culture of the club and put in place values and behaviours that over time will change a losing culture into a winning one. Also this phase is about identifying who will take this club forward and who will not. He's doing the basic things to turn the ship around. This is a 12 to 18 month phase.
The next phase is the turnaround phase. Another 12 months. Consistently competitive team. Creation of core team structure (players in pretty much set positions) and the continued development of those players and the recruitment of specific players for set roles.
The next phase is growth. Exciting times - up the ladder and finals.
There'll be times when we take two steps forward and one step backward, but we'll still be moving forward.
If you can't dream and plan for success, then why bother.

Dimma is doing well so far but no doubt he is still in the honeymoon period where expectations are low and anything else is a bonus.
I truly believe we still need a higher calibre of player across the paddock if we are to seriously threaten and would hope that the club is taking a realistic approach to the fact that our list is still currently a long way off despite a couple of wins against battling sides. Fortunately I think they are.

I have marvelled the last few years at the way other clubs such as collingwood seem to be able to get the very best out of even average players.

I get the feeling Hardwick and his team are starting to extract the same, and hopefully we have enough talent to really stand apart from other clubs in the future.

Tigers of Old said:
Dimma is doing well so far but no doubt he is still in the honeymoon period where expectations are low and anything else is a bonus.
I truly believe we still need a higher calibre of player across the paddock if we are to seriously threaten and would hope that the club is taking a realistic approach to the fact that our list is still currently a long way off despite a couple of wins against battling sides. Fortunately I think they are.

Spot on ToO.

Especially with the Hardwick honeymoon period and the fact the list needs a lot of work and much more quality.

Will be interesting too see come seasons end if this Hislop new contract rumour which is starting to grow legs is true. I certainly think it would divide opinions on Hardwick.

I quote Rudyard Kipling

"If you can keep your wits about you while all others are losing theirs, and blaming you. The world will be yours and everything in it, what's more, you'll be a man, my son."

Dimma didn't panic and more importantly neither did the club as a whole. The pressure that comes with being labelled the next Fitzroy, won't win a game for the next 2 years...it would have been easy to have changed direction in the hope of some short term success to keep the wolves at bay.

As they say in the European cycling commentary - Chapeaux young man, chapeaux