Long way to go | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Long way to go

btoz_01 said:
Not necessarily as most of the kicks backwards are usually into or inside the defensive 50m arc.
This rule would force the play forwards from the backline and make it more entertaining instead of this holding the ball in the air which = go back and play keepings off to run down the clock.
i fully agree with the need for a rule change, i'm just concerned that the ultra defensive coaches would still stifle the game between midfield and the 50 m defensive arc. a rule preventing backward kicks in D50 would be a step in the right direction though.

btoz_01 said:
Not necessarily as most of the kicks backwards are usually into or inside the defensive 50m arc.
This rule would force the play forwards from the backline and make it more entertaining instead of this holding the ball in the air which = go back and play keepings off to run down the clock.

It doesn't work. With no marks for kicking backwards in the defensive 50 there is no need to man up. The ball must travel forward so what do the coaches do? More flooding.

When a team wins a flag playing like this I will worry, hopefully the saints will get cleaned up by the cats or dogs at the G and this type of play will go out of fashion.

linuscambridge said:
It doesn't work. With no marks for kicking backwards in the defensive 50 there is no need to man up. The ball must travel forward so what do the coaches do? More flooding.

When a team wins a flag playing like this I will worry, hopefully the saints will get cleaned up by the cats or dogs at the G and this type of play will go out of fashion.

The ball must travel forward to more than likely a contested situation.

Tiger Crikey said:
Let me enlarge on what I stated.

Looking at the statistics including kicks, marks and tackles

there were many players from both sides who had over 25 posessions.

Now if you compared the Tiges with that we are not in the race yet

and it will take some time.

I thought the game had 3 classes above ours on stats
What was the disposal efficiency stats? I know the pressure from both teams was incredible, but all I saw was missed kicks and handpasses all night.