Literally coming out of the woodwork | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Literally coming out of the woodwork

PJ in Osaka said:
Still yet to meet any tigers in Japan. Pretty sure there are one or two around.

If you get out of that backwater Osaka and into the the real hustle you would. Otsukare.

Last Friday night did a safari sand dunes tour out of Dubai - at the traditional dinner where we sat on pillows in a large tent and ate barbecue meats and western salads, I heard a loud American voice commandeering the conversation at the table next to ours - then a distinctive Aussie voice broke the American's constant flow.

I leaned over and said where you from - he and his wife said Melbourne - I replied Queanbeyan NSW - The next question was obvious - who do you follow - the reply Husband and Wife in unison - The Mighty Tigers - to which I replied - is there any other team? Whilst showing them my interstate membership.

We chatted for what seemed an hour about the team and how good it was to knock off Fremantle that very day (it was day in Dubai when the Tigers played the Dockers in Perth at night)).

I will not mention names here and if he reads PRE he will recognize me. All I can say it was one of the many many highlights I had of 7 nights in Paris and 5 nights in Dubai whilst on our family tour.

I simply LOVE THE MIGHTY TIGERS

My wife and I were on a tour of Europe in 2011, not sure if anyone else has also seen this but at the top of Mt Pilatus in Switzerland I saw some graffiti with the words "GO TIGES" scrawled on if remember rightly a seat. Also took my Tiger hoodie and got a go tiges in Venice. And on the flight there sat next to Jamie O'Reilly on his way back to Ireland after being delisted.

23.21.159 said:
I was in Krakow, Poland on the weekend and visited A-u-s-c-h-w-i-t-z. We were on a guided tour. At one stage we were being led through one of the prison houses via an entrance hallway and the previous tour was coming out the same way walking past us. My wife tapped me on the shoulder and said "have a look at this bloke about to walk by us". I look up and here's this bloke in an RFC t-shirt!
Not much time to say or do anything as we were both being led in opposite directions and had to keep walking. I just shouted to him "Go Tiges", and he stopped briefly, smiled, and gave me a thumbs up.
Never saw him again.

Seems we are everywhere. Would be interested to know if the guy is on here.

(Sorry about the dashes in the name - the spelling filter played havoc with the real name inserting Hardwick instead of the h-w-i-t. Why is it doing that? )

That's still not "literally coming out of the woodwork". Cos that would be tigers fans emerging from wooden furniture and other hardwood items.

Good story though.

antman said:
That's still not "literally coming out of the woodwork". Cos that would be tigers fans emerging from wooden furniture and other hardwood items.

Good story though.

Ants you are taking "literally coming out the the woodwork" literally.

You literally can't do that.

:police:

PJ in Osaka said:
Still yet to meet any tigers in Japan. Pretty sure there are one or two around.

Our family welcomed an exchange student and they sent the most beautiful gifts with their lovely daughter, the greatest gift of all. Racking our brains for things to send back that might even part way respect the wonderful generosity received, my Richmond membership pack arrived and all it's contents immediately went into the "hi from Australia' box along with other bits of Australiana. My wife was embarrassed to say the least. The letter we receive weeks later included photos of the father out and about in their Japanese town wearing all the Tiger's gear. I've since been told he has attempted to get hold of some games to watch on the Internet. You just never know!

23.21.159 said:
Seems we are everywhere. Would be interested to know if the guy is on here.

Was it you who saw someone wearing a PRE top o/s once, or they recognised you wearing one? Then there was the time someone watching the cricket in India (I think) showed up on telly.

rosy23 said:
Was it you who saw someone wearing a PRE top o/s once, or they recognised you wearing one? Then there was the time someone watching the cricket in India (I think) showed up on telly.

I think 1980 was interviewed at the vatican in his PRE shirt

rosy23 said:

I remember seeing someone at the cricket on telly. Warms the heart, But i wonder if we are we a bit pathetic... You know... Having that as a memory.

Geeze you folks have got memories on ya !!!!!!

Yes, that was me. I happened to be at the vatican the day Mary MacKillop's canonisation was announced (Feb 2010). There was much Australian media there and I was the only Aussie they could find to interview, so they cornered my family and I for a quick q-and-a. They even asked my wife and kids some questions - the kids thought it was hilarious because they're Danish (and I don't think the media picked up on that). I think only I got on the telly in Australia, though.

But the wearing of the PRE t-shirt was deliberate. It was quite cold and I had a windcheater on, but we had a few minutes' notice so I took it off because the PRE shirt was underneath.

tiges said:
yer my mate got married there a few years to a polish girl , Irish and polish wedding :spin, it finished around 8 am in the morning .lol
Nice. My wife is from the south of poland, in the mountains about 2 hours from Krakow. Beautiful spot. I know there are tigers there because my father in law was presented with a tigers cap which was proudly donned at the pub and about town for a while.

zgod said:
Nice. My wife is from the south of poland, in the mountains about 2 hours from Krakow. Beautiful spot. I know there are tigers there because my father in law was presented with a tigers cap which was proudly donned at the pub and about town for a while.

Oh cool :) i have many polish friends as I did some work there about 15 years ago .

tiges said:
Oh cool :) i have many polish friends as I did some work there about 15 years ago .
The Polish hospitality is legendary. No doubt you enjoyed many nights at friends homes and was made to feel like a long lost friend.
Go tiges!

ToraToraTora said:
If you get out of that backwater Osaka and into the the real hustle you would. Otsukare.

The Mrs.'s family are from Amagasaki. I wanted to head to Tokyo, been there once, Ozzfest 2013. Wasn't bad. Wouldn't live there though. Too full on. Otsukare sama desu

caspar said:
I remember seeing someone at the cricket on telly. Warms the heart, But i wonder if we are we a bit pathetic... You know... Having that as a memory.

I don't feel pathetic. It was nice to see a fellow PREnder wearing their top so far away. What are the odds?

I lived in Gifu in Japan for 10 years, and often wore my Tiger colours, but never found a local who had any idea about footy. It's a hard game to explain at the best of times, but in a different language and to people brought up on simple games such as soccer and baseball, it was almost impossible.