Let's Stick Together | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Let's Stick Together

exactly, what did we all want wallace to do? play the kids, what is hardwick doing? playing the kids!

Knighta said:
exactly, what did we all want wallace to do? play the kids, what is hardwick doing? playing the kids!

True.
Likely finding out a few can't play in the process. Some will fly and some will crash to the ground.
It's all part of it.

As for sticking together I think Tiger fans are wearing the pain far better than usual.
Most know where we are at and what needs to be done the next couple of years.

yep tiger supporters are bloody champions, great turnout yesterday under the circumstances...would be great to sing our song again :'(

Tigers of Old said:
Some will fly and some will crash to the ground.
It's all part of it.

The only thing with that which disappoints me is that in the late 80's and early 90's we went through the same thing. We had a lot of young players that came to us and crashed who I still believe would have made it with other clubs. The ones that did would have been great players anywhere.

I remain to be convinced that we have addressed our player development issues from back then. So I really hope we don't see it, but I fully expect us to burn through a lot of young footballers to find some good players.

On the surface we look far better placed than at any other time in our last 30 year history.

We actually have a plan that has been published, we actually have good honest people in place at all levels to deliver on that plan. The club finally sound as though they know its not going to happen over night and will stick to the process.

Therefore cant help but believe that we the supporters, should now play our part, relax, enjoy the new kids, support and give till you can't give anymore.

Go and sign up a friend now.

I'm trying to stay positive but it's just so hard. I realise the club is going about it the right way now but I'm a realist and I recognise that we have by far the worst list in the comp and we're trying to rebuild through massively compromised drafts. The chance of this rebuild being a success is very low. Everything nearly has to go right to meet the goals in our plan (finals by 2012, 3 finals in 5 years, etc) and we have to get lucky with a few gems that come out of nowhere ala Barlow, Broughton, Anthony.

Great thread, lets all try for the entire year not to bag any young Tiger player. The older players are the exceptions.

Lets' stick together and see out this year and start the next full of confidence and enthusiasm.

Crikey, great thread and refreshing.

I just hope people understand this will take at least one more season of pain.

Barnzy said:
The chance of this rebuild being a success is very low.

Barnzy said:
and we have to get lucky.

but what's our options..pack up and go home or adapt to the changing environment? isn't it time to forget about our early pick draft disadvantage?..its futile focussing on it. all we can do now is gain an advantage through smarter recruitment and superior development, something we've been *smile* at to date but is looking up me thinks.

I know its been said on other threads but a least we have started our rebuild now. Some clubs will need to rebuild their list greater than ours in the next 2 years so I would want to be in our position rather than them. Look at the Crows McLeod, Edwards, Goodwin, Burton and Doughty all likely to be gone at end of year.

Reasons to stay positive are:-

Currently because half of our list was recruited in the off season drafts, these youngsters didnt start training until January and even then weren't on full training. Taylor, Nason, Griffiths, Astbury and others went sore early in their pre-season. Will be improved with a full pre-season

Of our most recent drafting by the new recruiters, most look very capable players. Some will almost certainly fall away but at this stage we look to have drafted well and we have drafted 2 big forwards (Astbury and Griffiths).

They have set high ethics at the club and it was good to see that backed up with suspensions.

The club will have a new ultra modern training facility at the end of the year at Punt Road in Richmond :clap

We are viable and if members stick fat will continue to dissolve the debts incurred by poor management in the past. Freeing up more funds to invest in the football department.

They are working to a plan that was promised and don't appear to be deviating from it.

People keep harping on about tackling and blocking . They are cubs learning to bring down the prey.

_44920567_tiger_466ap.jpg

Hope the picture puts it in perspective of kids trying to tackle older players. I have been watching and they are tackling and blocking but being brushed aside easily and this will happen until they grow. cute pic though.

Jack Reiwoldt has taken the next step

Dustin Martin is proving to be a gun.

David Astbury looks the goods

Ben Nason is exciting

Troy Taylor, who knows what he could be.

All in all i see many postives at this stage. Yes we have to cop the scoreboard at this stage but the team is learning and developing. Just quietly i think we just had our superdraft and the kids we brought in this year will be our best crop ever to be recruited in one year. (although not hard to beat)

My interest at the moment is focused on who is winning the race between players for positions on the field. It appears Hardwick is giving everyone a go and hasn't decided the postition of many players at all. It will be interesting on who get in and who doesn't.

tiger_getting_ready_to_attack.jpg

Can't wait till we grow

Thought this article sums it up pretty well

Only compromise can stop Richmond
Patrick Smith From: The Australian April 19, 2010 1:26AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print
Email
RICHMOND is winless. The prospect of the club improving that stat this season is slim. Yet the Tigers are as well placed if not better than any club in the competition to once again be a force in the AFL.

The club is effectively about to be reborn.

What it grows up to be is in the hands of the new administration -- chief executive Brendon Gale, football boss Craig Cameron and coach Damien Hardwick. Gale and Hardwick are in their first year of service, Cameron his second.

Their task is a mighty one but it is an opportunity that few get in football. That is a clean slate. Too many clubs are burdened with traditions that blinker and blind. That is not Richmond's problem.

Decades of incompetency have washed away any sense of what it is to be a Tiger.

That takes some doing, for the club has been dominant. It has won 10 premierships but none since 1980. In the 30 years since it has played in just eight finals, one of them the 1982 grand final loss to Carlton. The last final was an 11- goal flogging by Brisbane in 2001.

The club has been so broke it has been forced to beg in public for its very future.

The club has been inept at recruiting, partly because it did not have the money to investigate likely prospects. Tradition cannot survive such ordinariness. At Richmond it hasn't.

Effectively, the new administration must see itself as starting up a new club. What Gale, Cameron and Hardwick do now will define the club in the future. Punt Road must be seen as a centre of excellence in everything.

Its young playing list may not be able to play excellently but it can train that way. Hardwick can coach excellently, Cameron run an excellent football department and Gale seek excellence from his staff. That must be the minimum requirement.

If they do not falter then the club will draw superior sponsors. The dormant supporter base will come to life.

If Richmond can stand for all things exceptional then people will queue up to stand with them. It will be admired by its competitors, players will angle to join the team. Success has many measures.

Winning is one, striving another. Over time, striving begets winning. That must be the force that drives the Tigers.

Only one thing can stop Richmond from becoming the No 1 sporting club in the country if it has a mind to. Compromise. If the Tigers mould their principles to circumstances then it will have no principles at all.

The club has started with good intent. Cameron had barely sat down in his new job when the club drafted Ben Cousins. It was handled in a manner that showed the club had no direction and precious little confidence in its ability to make the right choices.

Richmond changed its Cousins story by the hour. Coming, not coming, yes, no, thinking about it, ruled it out.

Eventually Cousins did go to Richmond and the choice has proved sound. In a club without strong core playing leadership, the premiership player, All-Australian and Brownlow Medallist has set a high standard at training and on the field. If nothing else the recruitment of Cousins showed the club that its supporter base was deep and broad. Membership swelled on the expectation that the club could -- with Cousins -- improve on its fast finishing ninth in 2008.

It came to nothing as expectation paralysed the club. Cameron calmly and swiftly headed off a selfish player revolt to have coach Terry Wallace sacked. Cameron held his nerve and his sense of decency. Wallace would leave before the season was over but the players could not claim his scalp.

Last week Cousins would be central to another decision that -- if the principles that drove it are held firm -- will shape Richmond. Cousins, along with relatively experienced players Dean Polo and Luke McGuane, was in the company of defender Daniel Connors who was mightily drunk and noisy. Cousins, Polo and McGuane were suspended for yesterday's match against Melbourne and Connors banned for eight games.

The decision clearly compromised the club's chances of beating Melbourne but not its principles. The club wants the players to maintain standards constantly, not every now and then. So even Cousins was put aside for a week.

True, Richmond was in a position where it could thump the table. It is rebuilding its list from top to bottom and that takes time and a lot of losses. Nonetheless, it did what other clubs have not and could not do. It set a standard of excellence.

Other clubs have tried to do a bit of both -- discipline and seeking victory at the same time -- and achieved neither. Look at Carlton and Brendan Fevola. The club refused to punish him because he was a potential match-winner. With Fevola under no threat of being held to account, the club suffered. The brand was bashed, the club lost the respect of the broad community. Collingwood has compromised, too. Coach Mick Malthouse will not suspend undisciplined players if it threatens the team's on-field chances. Unless, of course, they lie to him like Heath Shaw and Alan Didak did.

West Coast's leadership was humbled in front of the AFL commission when it refused to restrain the wild behaviour of a large group of players.

Essendon spent a summer considering what to do with Michael Hurley after he was charged following a kerfuffle with a taxi driver. The club looked lame and hesitant. Geelong, which has won two premierships in the past three years, banished Stevie Johnson when he continually stuffed up in 2007 and Matthew Stokes has only returned to the club this week after being charged with drug offences. Sydney, so admired as a club under Paul Roos, moved Barry Hall on after he could not keep his fists to himself. No compromises.

This is an exciting time for Richmond. Craig, Brendon and Damien's excellent journey has begun.

Print
Email

shamekha said:
Reasons to stay positive are:-

Currently because half of our list was recruited in the off season drafts, these youngsters didnt start training until January and even then weren't on full training. Taylor, Nason, Griffiths, Astbury and others went sore early in their pre-season. Will be improved with a full pre-season

Of our most recent drafting by the new recruiters, most look very capable players. Some will almost certainly fall away but at this stage we look to have drafted well and we have drafted 2 big forwards (Astbury and Griffiths).

They have set high ethics at the club and it was good to see that backed up with suspensions.

The club will have a new ultra modern training facility at the end of the year at Punt Road in Richmond :clap

We are viable and if members stick fat will continue to dissolve the debts incurred by poor management in the past. Freeing up more funds to invest in the football department.

They are working to a plan that was promised and don't appear to be deviating from it.

People keep harping on about tackling and blocking . They are cubs learning to bring down the prey.

_44920567_tiger_466ap.jpg

Hope the picture puts it in perspective of kids trying to tackle older players. I have been watching and they are tackling and blocking but being brushed aside easily and this will happen until they grow. cute pic though.

Jack Reiwoldt has taken the next step

Dustin Martin is proving to be a gun.

David Astbury looks the goods

Ben Nason is exciting

Troy Taylor, who knows what he could be.

All in all i see many postives at this stage. Yes we have to cop the scoreboard at this stage but the team is learning and developing. Just quietly i think we just had our superdraft and the kids we brought in this year will be our best crop ever to be recruited in one year. (although not hard to beat)

My interest at the moment is focused on who is winning the race between players for positions on the field. It appears Hardwick is giving everyone a go and hasn't decided the postition of many players at all. It will be interesting on who get in and who doesn't.

tiger_getting_ready_to_attack.jpg

Can't wait till we grow

Great post tiger. :clap

TOT70 said:
God I hate that song......

And as for that appalling video clip with the boombah in a Tiger suit!!!

Arrrrrrrrrgh.

Wasn't it Jerry Hall in the leopard skin suit in the original clip and the fat thing in some take off?