Kicking long without looking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kicking long without looking

Giardiasis said:
We are bad at gut running and finding space. That is why we are so poor at winning our share of uncontested footy. Kicking in from a behind has limited space so it becomes even harder. As the players get fitter we should improve, but we also lack high quality outside runners anyway. Think of players like McMahon, except not soft, poorly shaven and sh!t.
good call. The bad kicks tend to come when there are no options.

super_coach said:
good call. The bad kicks tend to come when there are no options.
Especially when they try and be cute with their disposal. Given that is another weakness of our side, Hardwick should be instructing players to kick long to a contest if an option doesn't immediately present itself. Even better kick to a contest near the boundary line.

martyshire said:
Of course. I hate the hot potato phenomenon as much as the next person but they only do that when there's no clear option to kick to. And if there's no clear option to kick to then, yes, you're better off handballing! (some people in the crowd don't seem to get that part)

It's not the fact that they are handballing that makes them get caught. It's the fact that they are not working their way out of a situation properly. i.e. not drawing body contact after handballing, handballing to a stationary player or handballing before they have drawn their opponent. The opposition player who is about to tackle player A should NOT be allowed to end up tackling player B - but this happens all the time. If we worked better as a team, our players would have more time to look up and wouldn't have to throw it on the boot in hope. Most times a player does this it's a sign that we are not working together and we can can't handle the opposition pressure.
there was a great bit of play, i think in the 3rd, with newman and lids and 1 other where they gave risky handballs from half back, but kept running, ended with lids running thru the centre with the ball. (unfortunately he turned it over- but the lead up looked good.)

Was gonna start the same thread. Was talking about this topic with my mate. Our game plan revolves around tackling, getting the hard ball and booting it long. Almost every time we have the ball we just kick long to the opposition. Teams just have to get extra numbers back and it'll ba an uncontested mark.

This is concerning - our hardness and efforts have improved, our game plan has gone backwards. We are playing 60's football. I'm concerned that Hardwick is going too extreme the other direction to Wallace, who wanted a run and carry game but had no idea on pressure and defense.

We are not running hard to support the ball carrier, to spread from a contest and we are not looking to own the corridor. The effort and pressure is there when we don't have the ball but when we do there is no gut running from behind the play to give support and provide link up options. It's all hands on hips and the ball carrier has no otption but to just kick long.

This is concerning because our talented young players like Cotchin and Martin are doing it, and it effects their development. They need to develop their game but this kick it long, no running support game style does not help.

Hopefully Hardwick is focussing on hardness and pressure first and once we get this right he'll introduce a more attacking, run and support game plan. But if this is all he's got then we'll be going nowhere.

Brodders17 said:
there was a great bit of play, i think in the 3rd, with newman and lids and 1 other where they gave risky handballs from half back, but kept running, ended with lids running thru the centre with the ball. (unfortunately he turned it over- but the lead up looked good.)

Agree that was good. At present, we have 4-5 (add Cotch, Martin) who are able to execute. (NB we had 1-2 last year). We will get Foley and Connors back and they will add to the list. Frankly, I'd rather the likes of Webberley, Jackson, Tuck, McGuane etc kick it long; perhaps their skills will develop one day. Its when the guys with limited skills try to be cute (eg Nahas' dinky chip across half back) that we look really silly.

Giardiasis said:
We are bad at gut running and finding space. That is why we are so poor at winning our share of uncontested footy. Kicking in from a behind has limited space so it becomes even harder. As the players get fitter we should improve, but we also lack high quality outside runners anyway. Think of players like McMahon, except not soft, poorly shaven and sh!t.

:hihi (re McMahon call)

Yep agree with this too. The knowing where and when to run is the other side of things.

skiptomystu said:
Oh yeah of course, and to be fair I wasn't talking about the times we went inside 50 with long bombs. I'm all for that.

Again, I'm talking about times we bombed from half back to the wing/half forward only to see a nest of Saints waiting for it.

yes ,you are spot on...i sat behind the goals..and it seemed that mcguan newman thrusfeild and tuck would be forced into doin those silly things because looking uo ground there were no richmond players presenting themselves..the likes of tambo icould see standing there next to their opposition and refusing to create an obtion upfeild

Harry said:
Hopefully Hardwick is focussing on hardness and pressure first and once we get this right he'll introduce a more attacking, run and support game plan. But if this is all he's got then we'll be going nowhere.

I think he is working like this. One thing at a time.

What annoyed me was the quick kicks out of the pack. Tucky did this a lot - and it ended up on an opponent's chest time after time.

You watch Cotch win a clearance and throw the ball on the boot - he tends to kick in a way that the ball bounces or skids along the ground, at least giving us a contest.

People say he might be too old to learn but do you reckon anyone's TOLD tucky to kick it down instead of up?

grumpytiger said:
What annoyed me was the quick kicks out of the pack. Tucky did this a lot - and it ended up on an opponent's chest time after time.

You watch Cotch win a clearance and throw the ball on the boot - he tends to kick in a way that the ball bounces or skids along the ground, at least giving us a contest.

People say he might be too old to learn but do you reckon anyone's TOLD tucky to kick it down instead of up?

After Tuck kicked high in the 2nd and it cost us a goal, I noticed he would generally look for a hand pass in a clearance situation. No doubt the high kicks are a liability. Like Jobe Watson, he is learning that he is better off by hand. (However, I'd rather Tuck having a set shot for goal.)

The kicks out of our defensive fifty was generally poor when we were trying to get back into the corrider.
I reckon 4-5 times we coughed up possession by kicking over the target's head.
Dusty was the main offender when trying to kick long across the ground.
He looked like he was trying to kick the ball as far as he could with no direction.

Agree with the general comments.

However, a few questions for those at the game:
1. any correlation with the zone St Kilda was applying, and trying to beat the zone?
2. the desire to move the ball quickly and long to get Jack one-on-one?

Overall, stupid footy. But hopefully there is a reasonable explanation, and a longer term remedy.