Jackson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jackson

Harry said:
we have foley, martin, deledio, cotchin, cousins as first onballers. big bodies and experience. if anything our starting midfield is our strongest area. we are not so desperate in this area that we need to play jackson, hislop and tuck. i don't see why people are saying that we must play jackson and tuck due to our lack of size and experience.

Sorry Harry, but I don't see any true taggers in those guys you have just listed. When I talk about physical presence, I mean the type of player who can be asked to go out and physically shutdown an opponent by imposing himself on his opponents game. Jackson is ther only guy who we have that fits this category, and he does it pretty effectively at times.

I am not going to argue that Jackson is anything other than a poor man's Cameron Ling. He is simply too poorly skilled to be anything more than a shoutdown player, he will never run off his opponent effectively or hurt teams on the rebound. But if you are getting torched by a Joel Selwood type and need to kill his influence, then other than Jacko we have no one to play the role.

Harry said:
we have foley, martin, deledio, cotchin, cousins as first onballers. big bodies and experience. if anything our starting midfield is our strongest area. we are not so desperate in this area that we need to play jackson, hislop and tuck. i don't see why people are saying that we must play jackson and tuck due to our lack of size and experience.

Foley is an attack first in and under player who is pretty small and still working back into fitness, Martin is absolutely the future but obviously can't be our number 1 midfield in at this age because he is being rested in round 6 from general soreness, Lids is playing out of the midfield primarily, Cotchin is completely unable to run out a game as a mid and is a pretty small guy and Cuz is barely holding his place in the worse side in the AFL and is very outside these days.

All in all, I reckon our midfield has heaps of potential but is too small and unfit to play one and one with the bigs boys at the moment, Jackson make a lot of sense to me because he's big, strong and fit. I'd rather have him in the team that some of the head ducking spivs collecting a pay check for us right now, even if they are better kicks.

Tuck, on the other hand, to me is more marginal because he can't or won't play one on one.

Streak said:
Sorry Harry, but I don't see any true taggers in those guys you have just listed. When I talk about physical presence, I mean the type of player who can be asked to go out and physically shutdown an opponent by imposing himself on his opponents game. Jackson is ther only guy who we have that fits this category, and he does it pretty effectively at times.

I am not going to argue that Jackson is anything other than a poor man's Cameron Ling. He is simply too poorly skilled to be anything more than a shoutdown player, he will never run off his opponent effectively or hurt teams on the rebound. But if you are getting torched by a Joel Selwood type and need to kill his influence, then other than Jacko we have no one to play the role.

agree - you need a tagger that has half an idea what to do with the ball - jackson is completely useless and we are wasting our time playing him - we are in a rebuilding phase where we are trying to find and develop players in all positions - the run with tagger being one of them

Harry said:
agree - you need a tagger that has half an idea what to do with the ball - jackson is completely useless and we are wasting our time playing him - we are in a rebuilding phase where we are trying to find and develop players in all positions - the run with tagger being one of them

Yep, that is another reason I cringe when I see Bastinac go around for North Melbourne. He shut down Daniel Kerr is his third game while working off him to get quality touches. That is the type of run with pressure we need.

Like I have been saying for 18 months, Jackson is not football smart. Looks lost with the ball in his hands. Glad to see so many coming around. I still think we should have pushed for a trade last year when his stock was at a high. Could have got a extra thrid round pick.

SCOOP said:
Yep, that is another reason I cringe when I see Bastinac go around for North Melbourne. He shut down Daniel Kerr is his third game while working off him to get quality touches. That is the type of run with pressure we need.

Like I have been saying for 18 months, Jackson is not football smart. Looks lost with the ball in his hands. Glad to see so many coming around. I still think we should have pushed for a trade last year when his stock was at a high. Could have got a extra thrid round pick.
Perhaps, but there is nothing stopping us doing it at the end of this year.

Giardiasis said:
Perhaps, but there is nothing stopping us doing it at the end of this year.

If we could get deals done for McGuane, Jackson, Tambling and come away with a extra 2 third rounders a extra second rounder that would be a win. Don't forget every pick this year is basically 10 to 12 picks lower then its' actual number. It's a cse of waying up the talent pool and juggling your list. I don't see any value in keeping Jackson and McGuane, they are square pegs in round holes. Hardwicks game plan just doesn't allow for dumb footballers.

With Tambling you have to give up something to get something and he may be the one player with currency that we could trade. Maybe for a McEvoy and a third rounder. Tambling could be the chip that gets a ruck coming back to Punt Road. Just some ideas.

I was at the game in a Geelong Corporate box and can report that.......
Jacko played the first half on Ling and effectively shut him out of the game. Ling didn't like the tagging roles being reversed.
After half time he was switched on to Selwood and IMO Selwood just shaded him.
Unfortunately, we have much bigger problems than Jacko.
Such as the lack of effort from Morton et al.

Harry said:

Big bodies? Experience? cotchin, martin?

SCOOP said:
If we could get deals done for McGuane, Jackson, Tambling and come away with a extra 2 third rounders a extra second rounder that would be a win. Don't forget every pick this year is basically 10 to 12 picks lower then its' actual number. It's a cse of waying up the talent pool and juggling your list. I don't see any value in keeping Jackson and McGuane, they are square pegs in round holes. Hardwicks game plan just doesn't allow for dumb footballers.

With Tambling you have to give up something to get something and he may be the one player with currency that we could trade. Maybe for a McEvoy and a third rounder. Tambling could be the chip that gets a ruck coming back to Punt Road. Just some ideas.
Yes, I agree. I'd also try and see what we can get from Adelaide for Shane Edwards. IIRC they would have taken him at 14 in 2006 if Sellar wasn't available. What do you think about Maric as an option?

Worst game I've seen Jackson play. A pathetic display of football, not only from him but from the whole team.............heartless.

I don't think Damo would play him as a tagger only, he doesn't want to see what he already knows. He wants to see the players learn to play Damo style footy.
No flooding the backline, every player needs to learn to be accountable for their opposition player.
Its all about learning in 2010. If they can't learn, they will be gone.

HellsTiger said:
I don't think Damo would play him as a tagger only, he doesn't want to see what he already knows. He wants to see the players learn to play Damo style footy.
No flooding the backline, every player needs to learn to be accountable for their opposition player.
Its all about learning in 2010. If they can't learn, they will be gone.

Well put a line through Jacko because you cannot learn the basic fundamentals for football!

Giardiasis said:
Yes, I agree. I'd also try and see what we can get from Adelaide for Shane Edwards. IIRC they would have taken him at 14 in 2006 if Sellar wasn't available. What do you think about Maric as an option?

Maric would be fine but I don't see the Crows parting with him. I think he may have become part of the Crows leadership group. But Edwards is another chip who may have some currency. You have to give up something. No one wants our rubbish. Maybe Lobbe at Port, maybe Trengove wants to come home, maybe Robbie Gray wants to come home. Make some noise, see what happens.

I would sniff about Cameron Wood from Collingwood. I don't think he would like sitting behind Jolly for another four years. If you can force someone into into the PSD it would be coo. We need to make a big play from the PSD pick. Start to rattle some cages at other clubs, put some pressure on managers. This is what Hartley will be doing.

SCOOP said:
Maric would be fine but I don't see the Crows parting with him. I think he may have become part of the Crows leadership group. But Edwards is another chip who may have some currency. You have to give up something. No one wants our rubbish. Maybe Lobbe at Port, maybe Trengove wants to come home, maybe Robbie Gray wants to come home. Make some noise, see what happens.

I would sniff about Cameron Wood from Collingwood. I don't think he would like sitting behind Jolly for another four years. If you can force someone into into the PSD it would be coo. We need to make a big play from the PSD pick. Start to rattle some cages at other clubs, put some pressure on managers. This is what Hartley will be doing.
Yeah, I think we should definitely not trade for an established ruckman because we will be forced to pay a lot for one. Maric might be a stretch, but so would McEvoy. I think we will be best served getting a big bodied 25+ year old ruckman on the fringe at other clubs (Wood, Minson, West, Griffin), and secure them in the PSD. We can then draft a few and develop our own. Cheaper and allows for more flexibility, however it just means we will be hopeless in the ruck department for a while. Long-term thinking is what we need.

I haven't seen the game so I can't comment on yesterday, but Jacko's best output for us has been as a tagger. When Rawlings moved him to a more pure midfield role last year, he lost his way (probably cost him the Jack Dyer too). If Beavis isn't getting Jacko to hard tag then I'm not sure we have a place for him other than to just try and protect the younger kids for a while.

To address the comments about Jacko being untouchable here, I'm not sure that he isn't. As an unashamed Jacko fan, I've always been aware of his lack of footy instinct and it can be cringing at times. But my admiration for Jacko cam about in the darkest periods when we were getting smashed, the team would drop their heads and give up the fight. During these times Jacko was one of the very very few players who refused to give up and always kept trying. A player like that deserves respect.

But what I've noticed so far this year is that the boys are not giving up anymore (not sure what happened yesterday) and are not dropping their heads. If that's the case then there is a lot less reason for Jacko to stand out.

SCOOP said:

I'd chase Brad Moran if his knee passes a medical

ZeroGame said:
I'd chase Brad Moran if his knee passes a medical

No thanks, to many question marks. Hasn't shown enough at the top level and his body is shot.

Can someone find the top ruckman in the WAFL and SANFL? Could be some name to ponder.

Jackson could be another chip that fills a more pressing need.

SCOOP said:
No thanks, to many question marks. Hasn't shown enough at the top level and his body is shot.
I disagree, I think he's shown plenty from limited games in a constantly changing position. Has always been played behind other ruckmen at both the Roos and Crows.
Had a knee injury mid 2009 which he tried to rush back from so he could play finals for the Crows last year. It has resulted in further surgery being required which now has him missing most if not all of this season. It wasn't an ACL, so once he recovers from this surgery he should be fine.

Has been played ruck, kpp defender and kpp forward and had some very handy games in all 3 spots.
Is only 23 years old, 200cm tall and faster than Deledio, if we could get him for cheap and promise him the ruck time he wants then I think he'd be a great pickup.

He was averaging 13.5 disposals 9 hitouts 0.6 tackles and 1 goal per game from 7 games playing in defence and as a key forward (including a bag of 4 goals) in 2008, followed by 11 disposals 17 hitouts and 2 tackles from 7 games prior to injury in 2009