Interesting Stats | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Interesting Stats

Ty Esler

"Mark Maclure can get stuffed"
May 10, 2005
From Pro-Stats, some interesting stats:

Martin – 19th in AFL for clearances, 17th in score assists, 1st in don’t argues dished out by an 18 year old
Lids – 1st in long kicks per game, 13th in disposals
Angus – 12th in hitouts per game, 9th in contested marks per game (Jack is of course no.1)
Tuck – 10th in contested possessions per game
Jackson – 6th in inside 50s, 15th in clearances
Nason – no.1 in AFL in being asked for id to prove that he isn’t 12 years old

Ty Esler said:
Lids – 1st in long kicks per game

This is a key stat in our success this season and clearly a big part of Dimma's game plan.
Really utilising Deledio's strengths from half back. Added to the fact that Brett is now finally working his arse off for his team & coach.
He's really becoming the new General in the back line.

Ty Esler said:
Martin – 19th in AFL for clearances, 17th in score assists, 1st in don’t argues dished out by an 18 year old

:hihi Inaugural winner of this award.

Hopefully they will name the trophy after him and we will see first year draftees fighting it out for this coveted award.

Ty Esler said:

Angus – 12th in hitouts per game, 9th in contested marks per game (Jack is of course no.1)

Ty? Is that per game for Martin or overall? As he was rested for a game the stats are even more impressive if overall. Saw a stat on one of the footy shows last night which compared him against Scully and Trengove and his clearances and contested ball were through the roof even compared to the good sesaons the other kids were having.

BTW TY you shouldn't have missed that set shot 20 out about round 13, 1995 against the blues late last quarter. We needed you to step up with the big fella doing the knee.

Ty Esler said:

I can’t remember a first year player making this sort of impact in the bully stuff before. Arguably, Judd and J. Selwood made a bigger impact but they were certainly far more respectful of their opposition. Rich was similar to Martin but only in the sense that he started winning his own ball immediately.

Don’t argues are reserved for bully boys like Chapman and Mooney, and they waited until they had been in the gym for five years before trying them out in public. Even Glenn Archer waited till after his 21st before throwing his weight around.

It’s a shame Tim Burton didn’t meet Ben Nason a couple of years ago. He would have signed him up on the spot to play Alice in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. He would have done a better job than that anaemic chick too.

lamb22 said:
Ty? Is that per game for Martin or overall? As he was rested for a game the stats are even more impressive if overall. Saw a stat on one of the footy shows last night which compared him against Scully and Trengove and his clearances and contested ball were through the roof even compared to the good sesaons the other kids were having.

Yes, on Footy Classified last night they compared these stats, and also pointed out that we were leading in the "long kicks" stats - which I guess is largely down to Lids at half back.

HeadandShin said:
Yes, on Footy Classified last night they compared these stats, and also pointed out that we were leading in the "long kicks" stats - which I guess is largely down to Lids at half back.

And Newy. And now Connors.

TOT70 said:
I can’t remember a first year player making this sort of impact in the bully stuff before. Arguably, Judd and J. Selwood made a bigger impact but they were certainly far more respectful of their opposition. Rich was similar to Martin but only in the sense that he started winning his own ball immediately.

Martin is ahead of Judd in most statistical measures when you compare their first years. Martin has almost double the clearances (2.7 to 5.2 per game)and Judd a higher goal per game average, but Martin is either the same or better than other areas. Probably a sign that Judd played forward more in his first year where as Martin is getting genuine midfield time.

He's also pretty comparable to Joel Selwood's first year. Selwood has more marks & tackles, but Martin more disposals and goals per game. Can't find Selwood's clearance stats for 2007, but would be surprised if he was anywhere near Martin's stats which are unbelivable.

As much as I love Martin, I hate make comparisons to other players, especially super elites like Judd, in Martin's first year.

Nice work Ty.

Martin’s circumstances are a bit different to Selwood and Judd in their first year- he’s playing on a much worse team which has both pro and cons for individual performance.

What’s really exciting about Martin is that is often dominates games early only to run out of puff as the game goes on. It shows he has the potential to have huge games when his tank develops

Baloo said:
As much as I love Martin, I hate make comparisons to other players, especially super elites like Judd, in Martin's first year.

Well said Balooga. Juddy's got it all on the board.
When Dusty's achieved the same, then comparisons can be made.
Like Rich last year, Martin's a physical freak for a first year player but who really know's how much he will improve?

Col.W.Kurtz said:
What’s really exciting about Martin is that is often dominates games early only to run out of puff as the game goes on. It shows he has the potential to have huge games when his tank develops

This is a very important point. I think it's almost miraculous the hard body work he is doing at such a young age. He certainly wouldn't have been conditioned to do this amount of work. A couple of years of pre-seasons, I shudder to think how good he could become. The beauty of true gifted inside players is there's not alot you can do to stop them getting possessions.

Ty Esler said:

Interesting considering he has missed games

lamb22 said:

BTW TY you shouldn't have missed that set shot 20 out about round 13, 1995 against the blues late last quarter. We needed you to step up with the big fella doing the knee.

They are per game stats

I prefer to remember round 22 1991 at the MCG when i went into the ruck against Justin Madden after half time to free up David Cloke to go forward to kick eight goals in his final game and beat those Carlton scum ;)

Ty Esler said:
I prefer to remember round 22 1991 at the MCG when i went into the ruck against Justin Madden after half time to free up David Cloke to go forward to kick eight goals in his final game and beat those Carlton scum ;)

You’ll always be remembered as a team first player Ty

Ty Esler said:
They are per game stats

Agree with the Colonel -good to see you sacrificed your personal glory for the common good.

Pity you're too old for a comeback under 'team first' Hardwick.

HeadandShin said:

does that also include kickins from behinds? ::)

Ty Esler said:

No 16 on the ladder.

Spanish Prisoner said:
No 16 on the ladder.

Gee thanks for posting that. There could have been a grave danger of it going unnoticed if you didn't point it out for us. :duh

HeadandShin said:

Lids, Martin and Newman in top 30 for long kicks (99, 72 and 67 respectively) not surprising seeing how Martin loves to bomb it - usually to advantage. Just another sign that Dimma is giving clear instructions and his troops are following them.