Indigenous Players | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Indigenous Players

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Why is it,We seem to be the only club that is unable to get the very best out of our indigenous Players?Not since the days of Micheal Mitchell and to a lesser extent Phil Egan have we had a player who is capable of playing good consistant football whereas other clubs seem to have no problem in that regard.
Even this years draftee,s Taylor and Roberts have huge question marks if they are going to get any better than what we have already seen from them both.
Are we that bad in player development that we totally suck the indigenous player,s natural game out of them?

It's a bit early to make a call on Roberts and Taylor IMO. Both have shown glimpses in their first couple of games, especially Taylor.

Panthera tigris FC said:
It's a bit early to make a call on Roberts and Taylor IMO. Both have shown glimpses in their first couple of games, especially Taylor.

wayyyyy to early to call on those two.

Panthera tigris FC said:
You think?Taylor looks like a very lazy footballer to me,While Roberts is very much playing like a Bush footballer from where he was recruited from.
Both are heading down the same path as most before them at the RFC.IMO.
Why is this?
Culture?
Recruiting?
Development?

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
You think?Taylor looks like a very lazy footballer to me,While Roberts is very much playing like a Bush footballer from where he was recruited from.
Why is this?
Culture?
Recruiting?
Development?
The same reasons we don`t get good white players too.

Recruting and development.

Even this years draftee,s Taylor and Roberts have huge question marks if they are going to get any better than what we have already seen from them both.

Are you this premature about everything in your life?

Why is this?
Culture?
Recruiting?
Development?

So after two games each we have written them off?

Our indigenous players are crap because their role model is Richard Tambling, who seems to be very casual in his approach to the game.

So is Alroy going to get a sudden promotion off the rookie list for this weeks game? Or is Relton going to get a call up from Coburg?

Otherwise we go in with Tambling and Edwards I assume.

brigadiertiger said:
:cutelaugh :rofl :cutelaugh
So i take it your one of those type of supporters who are more than happy with their single digit possie,s at vfl level,while other indigenous players get those in one qtr.
And thats the point im trying to make.Why is this so?

I think I get where you are coming from Capt. It frustrates me a lot. I love the way the indigenous players can electrify the crowd, make the difficult look easy and just generally provide a team with some spark, flair and polish. But for the most part those players usually play for opposition teams. They are still brilliant to watch, but it isnt the same as cheering on a Tiger.

I have been a long term advocate of recruiting more Indigenous players and still feel the same, but there isn't much point in doing that if we fail to develop them into good consistent footballers... and everyone knows all to well what we have been like at development in the past.

With the Indigenous centre a major feature of the new Punt Rd. development, I would hope we get our developmental process right sooner rather than later.