If you reckon Tony Abbott is a good bloke, you should barrack for Carlton. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

If you reckon Tony Abbott is a good bloke, you should barrack for Carlton.

Do you reckon you should be able to like Tony Abbott and barrack for Richmond?

• Yes, its a free country

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Who does Tony Windsor barrack for?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, barrack for Carlton or perhaps Melbourne

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Would Tony Abbott sell his arse for the Tigers No.1 Ticket?

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
tigergollywog said:
mods, why is my post counter stuck on 972?

It shows 973 to me. I didn't realise anyone would be concerned about their posting numbers. I wonder if that would typify Labor or Liberal behaviour. :hihi

rosy23 said:
It shows 973 to me. I didn't realise anyone would be concerned about their posting numbers. I wonder if that would typify Labor or Liberal behaviour. :hihi

Its only as I approach 4 figures. I realised now you have a tricky bit f code that updates my post count retrospectively. keep up the good work Rosy.

lamb22 said:
What would Jack Dyer think?

Thats a case in point Lamb. Capt. Blood is my cousin. Irish Catholic Labor man. A picture of Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne for 46 years, fierce intellectual, complex radical revolutionary, would have hung on Jacks wall. I cant substantiate it right now, but I reckon Archbishop Mannix would have barracked for Richmond.

So maybe a good topic is to know what peoples big issues are (at the moment).

1. I don't understand how cost of living, the astronomical rise in Electricity bills, gas................................... How is this not in the media more then it is. How many people are hurting, more then half the population I reckon. This is both a state and federal issue IMO. Not given the scrutiny it deserves IMO.

2. Cuts to the defence budget. Always been a thing for me, due to job, but Labour will always cut it back. Cutting it back as largely as they have could cost lives in the future. The setback of these cuts, would also take 5 times longer to fix in the future.

On another note in reference to Afganistan, it may not be a place we should be right now, however it does serve a purpose for our defence force. Some may not get this, but an Army (navy and air force) need to stay current, theres no better way to be a good functioning organisation then doing what you train to do in the now.

3. Obviously boat people is a big issue and always will be.

Things like gay marriage has no bearing on my vote.

anyway what are some of the big issues in regards to their voting.

Mannix may have barracked for Collingwood, but I'm hoping for the sake of my story, it was the Tigers. I'll call dad on the telephone.

U2Tigers said:

1. I don't understand how cost of living, the astronomical rise in Electricity bills, gas................................... How is this not in the media more then it is. How many people are hurting, more then half the population I reckon. This is both a state and federal issue IMO. Not given the scrutiny it deserves IMO.

2. Cuts to the defence budget. Always been a thing for me, due to job, but Labour will always cut it back. Cutting it back as largely as they have could cost lives in the future. The setback of these cuts, would also take 5 times longer to fix in the future.

On another note in reference to Afganistan, it may not be a place we should be right now, however it does serve a purpose for our defence force. Some may not get this, but an Army (navy and air force) need to stay current, theres no better way to be a good functioning organisation then doing what you train to do in the now.

U2, my thoughts on your big issues are

1. Power prices are certainly going up fast. i reckon they were too cheap before (promoting heating up of the planet) and are now reflecting the real cost. The carbon Tax will up the price, but subsidise it for the poor - good policy I reckon

2. I agree with you on defense. I reckon China will crack the *smile* with Gina Rhinehart and Clive Palmer extorting them with high Ore and coal prices and come marching down with a 1/2 billion soldiers to take a bit of rich ground, in our lifetime. If this happens, I'd like there to be a *smile* load of yank aircraft carriers in Perth and Darwin and a well trained Aussie infantry

3. I dont think boat people is really a big issue, the media is just making it big. It would take 10 years to fill the MCG at current arrivals. Is that a big deal given our abundance?

4. Gay marriage. Why would you want to get married? If your a bloke, why not just find a bloke and live with them and root them? After about 20 years of doing this, you are going to drive each other nuts irrespective of gender, sexuality or the legality of the union. I dont even want to think about what happens when two women live together and root for 20 years.

When I vote, I never vote for myself. I vote for the nation and the planet.

Merveille said:
Gillard literally sold her arse to a union boss (and lost her job as a partner in a leading Law firm as a result of shoddy practice in setting up his slush fund - which was filled with low paid union member's money - unbeknowns to the union! Now there is a quality woman)

This is interesting. I feel like she would have some trouble sitting down. Literally.
This is both figuratively and literally the stupidest thing i have ever read.

Coburgtiger said:
This is interesting. I feel like she would have some trouble sitting down. Literally.
This is both figuratively and literally the stupidest thing i have ever read.

:hihi. Ive literally read plenty stupider, but this post is hilarious

U2Tigers said:

Obviously it is not.

To quote our national anthem.
"For those who come across the seas, we've boundless plains to share."
Let them in. The more people to support AFL better.

I am enjoying this thread immensely and am 2 hours late for work. Luckily I am self employed. I really gotta go and slash the cotton weed in the top paddock (literally), but please continue and Ill be back this evening for sure. Anyway we can get Dyer'er interested in this thread?

U2Tigers said:

U2

1. Cost of living has gone up 12% since 2007 and wages up on average by 18%. Electricity costs have certainly sky rocketed due to the gold plating by providers but they still make up less than 3% of the average household budget. We spend more on take away food and on grog. Its tough on some fixed income people but then again pensioners have had a $4000 increase in real terms over that time and the tax free threshold has increased to $18,000.

2. Note your point and concern but I have suupplied services to defence and there is massive waste in that department and it could afford some trimming without affecting the front line.

3. Boats is a poliitcal issue but a nonsense one. Since 1976 we have had about 40,000 boat people in total. Most have come in two main tranches. Around 12,000 in 1999 to 2001 and around 20,000 from 2009 to the present. In Howard's last year some 300,000 came in as immigrants, around 40,000 as dodgy back door residents on dodgy education visas (the cooks and haridresser permanent residents) and on 457 visas and then obtaining permanent residence. Labor craked down on those rorts and immigration figures are now down to around 170,000 per annum. Our population increase naturally by 7,500 a week so all the boat people since 1976 is the equivalent of 5 weeks of natural population growth.

Oh no we ae being swamped! Anyway the Houston recomendations in total is what most experts have angled for and may help but when you have 45 million refugees and displaced people worldwide and western countries are resettling less than 100,000 per year you will never solve the problem.

We dont have a real problem. Pakistan have to deal with a million refugees. USA has millions of mexicans illegally coming in. Turkey had a surge of 300,000 refugees in THREE DAYS when the Syrian civil war sparked up a few weeks back.

We dont have a land border. We are an island nation . That's why we dont have a real refugee problem and why people try to get here by BOATS

Coburgtiger said:
Obviously it is not.

Thats why I wont stand for our anthem until we have a humane refugee policy. Either that, or change our anthem to Rose tattoo's 'we wont be beaten'.

Coburgtiger said:
Obviously it is not.

Are you Phil Cleary?

No doubt we are better off than we've ever been. Life's good on the land. Something must be going right.

Coburgtiger said:
Obviously it is not.

big issue for me when done illegally and without proper vetting, let alone the numbers who die in the attempt to get here. It also is taking away a lot of resources - money, time and personnel that could be used elsewhere. That makes it an issue IMO.

I am all for letting people in if done the right way.

lamb22 said:
U2

1. Cost of living has gone up 12% since 2007 and wages up on average by 18%. Electricity costs have certainly sky rocketed due to the gold plating by providers but they still make up less than 3% of the average household budget. We spend more on take away food and on grog. Its tough on some fixed income people but then again pensioners have had a $4000 increase in real terms over that time and the tax free threshold has increased to $18,000.

2. Note your point and concern but I have suupplied services to defence and there is massive waste in that department and it could afford some trimming without affecting the front line.

3. Boats is a poliitcal issue but a nonsense one. Since 1976 we have had about 40,000 boat people in total. Most have come in two main tranches. Around 12,000 in 1999 to 2001 and around 20,000 from 2009 to the present. In Howard's last year some 300,000 came in as immigrants, around 40,000 as dodgy back door residents on dodgy education visas (the cooks and haridresser permanent residents) and on 457 visas and then obtaining permanent residence. Labor craked down on those rorts and immigration figures are now down to around 170,000 per annum. Our population increase naturally by 7,500 a week so all the boat people since 1976 is the equivalent of 5 weeks of natural population growth.

Oh no we ae being swamped! Anyway the Houston recomendations in total is what most experts have angled for and may help but when you have 45 million refugees and displaced people worldwide and western countries are resettling less than 100,000 per year you will never solve the problem.

We dont have a real problem. Pakistan have to deal with a million refugees. USA has millions of mexicans illegally coming in. Turkey had a surge of 300,000 refugees in THREE DAYS when the Syrian civil war sparked up a few weeks back.

We dont have a land border. We are an island nation . That's why we dont have a real refugee problem and why people try to get here by BOATS

1. Can't argue figures, maybe the huge jump in power prices in such a short time, makes it feel worse then it is.

2. Agree that savings can be made, we all laugh at how some of the money is wasted, but the cut was huge, and isn't just hitting defence in backyard areas, but is also affecting frontline troops and equipment important for the future.

3. lucky i don't live in Pakistan. Just because we don't have levels seen in other countries, doesn't mean its not an issue for us, at the levels we are seeing it. I don't vote in Pakistan/Turkey or USA elections.

should we put this back on the politics thread, not on the Abbott/Carlton thread

U2Tigers said:
should we put this back on the politics thread, not on the Abbott/Carlton thread

I found it quite strange you posted here rather than starting a new thread. If you or gollywog so desire I can sort though the posts and split them into separate threads.