Geelong to get 2 first rounders for Ablett ??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Geelong to get 2 first rounders for Ablett ???

Interesting to see the application of this rule if Ablett did go north.

Would Geelong's first pick then be prior to GC17's first pick?
Or, if we finished 16th, Geelong's pick would be just prior to our's, pushing us out to pick #5?
Or would it come paired, immediately, with their first round pick?

Someone may already have an answer.

Personally, I thought the previous intension was that if GC17 wanted experienced players from other clubs, for them to use those early picks as currency for getting those players.

If GC17 wanted Ablett, let them trade their early draft picks to Geelong to get him. Same with Boak, et al.

Then it would be up to the clubs to negotiate.

Phantom said:

Or, if we finished 16th, Geelong's pick would be just prior to our's, pushing us out to pick #5?

I think the way it works is that first round picks can't be used until 2012, when the draft is not compromised, except by the 25 or so first round compensatory picks that will be banked up over 2010 and 2011.

There may never be an uncompromised draft ever again.

Phantom said:

Personally, I thought the previous intension was that if GC17 wanted experienced players from other clubs, for them to use those early picks as currency for getting those players.

If GC17 wanted Ablett, let them trade their early draft picks to Geelong to get him. Same with Boak, et al.

Then it would be up to the clubs to negotiate.

From what I could gather, you can use the picks within the next 5 national drafts. The compensation picks are straight after your 'regular' picks position. So if you finished 18th in 2013 you would have pick 1 for being last & if you were to utilise your compensation pick it would be at pick 2. If you finished first you would have pick 18 based on ladder position, compensation would be utilised at pick 19.

Geelong's premiship era is coming to an end and this will help with the rebuild. Good luck to them.

What's with the AFL changing the rules as they go?

TOT70 said:
I think the way it works is that first round picks can't be used until 2012, when the draft is not compromised, except by the 25 or so first round compensatory picks that will be banked up over 2010 and 2011.

There may never be an uncompromised draft ever again.

I heard similar discussions about having a 3 year window as to when you want to use the compensated draft pick.

Disco Stu said:
From what I could gather, you can use the picks within the next 5 national drafts. The compensation picks are straight after your 'regular' picks position. So if you finished 18th in 2013 you would have pick 1 for being last & if you were to utilise your compensation pick it would be at pick 2. If you finished first you would have pick 18 based on ladder position, compensation would be utilised at pick 19.

That is how I read them too.

If the above is correct, then even more pressure falls on your recruiting department to judge what draft amongst the next five will be the strongest. Some serious knowledge is needed to judge that. This picks have become the "Draw Four" card in Uno, sure they are great to have but you don't want to waste them. If I was Geelong and they get the two extra first rounders, I would hold off from using both this year.

WCE got pick 3, a former pick 4 and a 2nd rounder for Judd. Ablett is on similar talent and age so two 1st rounders seems reasonable

We would now get 2 first rounders for Martin, so that is good news for us

To me the level of compensation seems about right. You can argue either way on the relative value of each player affected of course but it isn't unreasonable.

What is unreasonable is the entire ediface that the AFL have built up around the entry of GWS and GC to the competition. The aim appears to be to have both teams finals competitive in their first year. And now that the established clubs are starting to see the holes that this is going to put in front of them they are starting to bleat. (Should have belated a year ago!) And how is the AFL responding? By adding to the wonky ediface that is already in existence with extra "compensation" for the affected clubs.

The whole thing is *smile*. The AFL should have set up a single team (don't really care where - but should have certainly considered Tassie) and treated them as the bottom plaed team (with less than 4.5 wins for the year) for draft picks at year 0 and allowed them a single priority pick in their initial year. This would have have a limited impact on other teams. They could have still gone after an Ablett or Martin but it would have been pure market forces driving the acquisition than what we now have which is an overly complicated and damaging (for established clubs) system that requires band-aid after band-aid to patch the holes that are appearing.

Cheers

Disco Stu said:
Partly correct Stu. Compensatory 1st round picks are able to be used but only at the end of the 1st round (until 2013) see link below.
But because you get "awarded" 1st round draft picks, the actual position you get them is to be determined by the "Draft Assessment Mob".
ie depending on the "value" of the player taken, the "DAM" will assess on player on 2 criteria only=Age & salary to be offered
Because a club gets (say) 2 1st rounders they could be early , middle or late 1st round. Still to be determined.

link http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/deal-improved-for-clubs-that-lose-top-players-to-new-teams-20100623-yz32.html

Put McMahon back in the seniors and in the centre, and everyone start kicking the ball to him.

Always said that McMahon was a VERY valuable player down at Tigerland.

Someone just posted over at Big Footy that we should let Martin go to GWS so we get 2 first round picks for him and could then enter the 2012 draft with picks 1, 2, 3 & 4 if we were to tank the next 2.5 years. ;D

GoodOne said:
That's the minimum they should be getting.  Best player in the league for two untried players.

Not to mention the history with Ablett senior. We'd go completely feral if Tom Roach or Andrew Raines turned out as good and GC were tearing him away from us through weight of money.

Reckon Ablett will be making a mistake if he leaves, unless he's not enjoying his footy at present. He's a bloke who doesn't like the limelight, but will be used to sell the new club. He'll be seen as greedy, and go from pin-up boy to public enemy #1 with many. He'd be earning those extra dollars the hard way, and Geelong's offering plenty as it is.

Spot on LTRTR. Not to mention what GAJ will earn after footy if he stays in Geelong.

Frank Costa, the business' down there, & the clubs sponsors will be far more lucrative later.

In the long run he'll be financially worse off to go.

Ruthless Tiger said:
Someone just posted over at Big Footy that we should let Martin go to GWS so we get 2 first round picks for him and could then enter the 2012 draft with picks 1, 2, 3 & 4 if we were to tank the next 2.5 years. ;D
Barnzy under another Alias? ;D

Leysy Days said:
Spot on LTRTR. Not to mention what GAJ will earn after footy if he stays in Geelong.

Frank Costa, the business' down there, & the clubs sponsors will be far more lucrative later.

In the long run he'll be financially worse off to go.

Agree, just don't see why he would go. Geelong have some of the best off field facilities in the AFL and Ablett lives a dream lifestyle in Torquay.

I just don't understand why Geelong don't say to him 'gary re-sign and we'll trade you' and then trade him for 2-3 top 10 picks

Where is our compensation if we lose pick 1 or 2 this year and get pushed down to pick 3 or whatever. We are losing the a 12 year champion vs and experienced player with maybe 5-7 years left.

We should get compensation for this. This is a joke.

On top of this is that if a club gets compensated for losing an uncontracted player we will also be penalised and pushed down the draft order in futrure years eg. If GC recruit 10 players and clubs are compensated wtih trade picks we could go from pick 8 down to 12 if the clubs cash tem in.

So in summary

This year Tigers go from pick 2 this year (assuming we finish second last) to pick 8. We get no compensation.
Future Years Assuming GC recruit 8 players and clubs exercies those draft picks. We could slide from a pick 8 (assuming we finish 9th) to pick 12.

WHERE IS OUR COMPENSATION??????????????????/