Geelong to get 2 first rounders for Ablett ??? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Geelong to get 2 first rounders for Ablett ???

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Can this be true? If so it is the most idiotic, unfair decision the AFL have ever made - and that's saying something.

He went at 40 as a father-son pick. That he is a gun is his and Geelong's good fortune. Why prolong that situation to an already successful team? Doesn't that fly in the face of equalizing factors like the draft and salary cap?

If they get Martin you could argue that we deserve even more because he has seven more years left in him than Ablett does.

Not happy.

That's the minimum they should be getting. Best player in the league for two untried players.

23.21.159 said:
Can this be true? If so it is the most idiotic, unfair decision the AFL have ever made - and that's saying something.

He went at 40 as a father-son pick. That he is a gun is his and Geelong's good fortune. Why prolong that situation to an already successful team? Doesn't that fly in the face of equalizing factors like the draft and salary cap?

If they get Martin you could argue that we deserve even more because he has seven more years left in him than Ablett does.

Not happy.

Maybe we should be getting 4 x 1st rounders for Martin because another advantage Geelong gets is massive cap space compared to us if Martin went?? :hihi

He is out of contract and can go where he pleases, they should get whatever they can bargain for him, if that is nothing then so be it.

jb03 said:
He is out of contract and can go where he pleases, they should get whatever they can bargain for him, if that is nothing then so be it.

How can they bargain when GC has a right to grab him for nothing if he is not contracted? The situation is ridiculous.

martin better not be going anywhere...he is beter than judd and ablett were in their first years by a mile..make him a tiger for life...

it really frustrates me how the clubs originally agreed to these concessions and only now stating its unfair.

They should have thought this though before agreeing to such stupid concessions.

On top of these concessions GWS and Gold Coast don't have to pay a cent for their license. When the Crows, Bears, Eagles, Dockers and Crows came into the competition, they all paid for their licenses.

Where is the fairness? The GWS is going to be a massive failure as the Swans are stuggling to get a decent crowd. Come on everyone know how they give freebies to get people in the gate. Who is going to have to financially support GWS? Yes, the money that would normally be distributed to the clubs.

A team on the Gold Coast? They tried that over a decade ago and it failed. Why does the AFL think it's going to work this time?

Is the AFL going to look at merging a club each with the Gold Coast and GWS team just as they did with the Brisbane Bears ? Oh it was supposed to be a merger but ended up more like a take over.

As far as I'm concerned if the GC or GWS want a player then they should have to trade their draft picks for them, just like every other established club has to.

nwonash said:
it really frustrates me how the clubs originally agreed to these concessions and only now stating its unfair.

They should have thought this though before agreeing to such stupid concessions.

On top of these concessions GWS and Gold Coast don't have to pay a cent for their license. When the Crows, Bears, Eagles, Dockers and Crows came into the competition, they all paid for their licenses.

Where is the fairness? The GWS is going to be a massive failure as the Swans are stuggling to get a decent crowd. Come on everyone know how they give freebies to get people in the gate. Who is going to have to financially support GWS? Yes, the money that would normally be distributed to the clubs.

A team on the Gold Coast? They tried that over a decade ago and it failed. Why does the AFL think it's going to work this time?

Is the AFL going to look at merging a club each with the Gold Coast and GWS team just as they did with the Brisbane Bears ? Oh it was supposed to be a merger but ended up more like a take over.

Yeah, couldn't work out the time why the clubs let this through so meekly. Can't work-out how they let the AFL be so dictatorial in general, apart from a squeak from Kennett every now and then. Maybe a lot going on behind closed doors we don't know about?

GoodOne said:
How can they bargain when GC has a right to grab him for nothing if he is not contracted? The situation is ridiculous.

Good, hope Geelong get nothing for him then. It is like any other uncontracted player who chances their luck in the PSD.

CarnTheTiges said:
As far as I'm concerned if the GC or GWS want a player then they should have to trade their draft picks for them, just like every other established club has to.
totally agree

CarnTheTiges said:

Wasn't that the original idea? I thought they were given a shedload of early draft picks with the express intention that they could trade them away for established players. Given that they are starting with nothing, I thought it was a pretty good way to get the off the ground that would be fair to all concerned, and not cost anybody anything. Draft picks is a currency the AFL can dish out without having to pay anything.

Good that the compensation is alot fairer.
It still doesn't really solve the problem for Geelong. Assuming they finish first or second the next 2 years, those picks come straight after their first pick at 25, so they are the equivalent of picks 26 & 27. Same next year with GWS raping the draft.
So in essence unless they get close to rock bottom in the next 5 years they are still getting shafted.

Why a 'high echelon player' (get used to this term!) compensation picks can't be used from the gaining clubs allocated picks is ridiculous. A Martin or Ablett isn't exactly securing a good ordinary player, they are gold, the losing clubs need to be compensated. Not in 3 years when the draft is 'fair' or in 5 years when the club is at the bottom of the table - probably due to losing their best player -it should be now.
It's up to GC17 to weigh up Ablett or best young kids, not rape & pillage everything in their path with no consequence.

Then again, why do I even try & come up with logic or reason, it is the AFL we are talking about, a fine example of dictatorship.

CarnTheTiges said:

Agree whole heartedly.
So the AFL will make allowances or the "Ablett RUle" but screw the bottom teams who don't get what they truly deserve by finishing on the bottom paret of the ladder. Why should Melbourne get thye first pick last year, and this years wooden spooner get pick 4? Let's widen the gap between the good and the bad?

People laughed at me when I suggested this, and will probably laugh again, but in reality, we should get more for Martin than Geelong get for Ablett.

Yeah Ablett is a proven player/superstar, but if you look at Geelong's squad, they can cover the loss of Ablett better than we can cover the loss of Martin. If the idea behind all of this crap is to promote an even competition by giving poorer performed clubs draft concessions, then us losing Martin goes against the AFL objectives far beyond Geelong losing Ablett.

Martin was a pick 3, Ablett cost Geelong pick 40. Granted good luck to Geelong for the Father/Son rule, a rule I fully support retaining. But seriously, who is more important to their respective club and the aim of that club being in an even competition?

jb03 said:
Good, hope Geelong get nothing for him then. It is like any other uncontracted player who chances their luck in the PSD.

Nothing like the PSD. Other teams have the same salary caps. GCs is basically how much money do you need. How are ou supposed to compete with that? Of couse Gelong should get compensated. This is not an ordinary situation.

Streak said:
People laughed at me when I suggested this, and will probably laugh again, but in reality, we should get more for Martin than Geelong get for Ablett.

Yeah Ablett is a proven player/superstar, but if you look at Geelong's squad, they can cover the loss of Ablett better than we can cover the loss of Martin. If the idea behind all of this crap is to promote an even competition by giving poorer performed clubs draft concessions, then us losing Martin goes against the AFL objectives far beyond Geelong losing Ablett.

Martin was a pick 3, Ablett cost Geelong pick 40. Granted good luck to Geelong for the Father/Son rule, a rule I fully support retaining. But seriously, who is more important to their respective club and the aim of that club being in an even competition?

Completely agree. Also Martin is 18 and Ablett 25 ... so whichever way you slice it, Martin has 7 more years of footy left in him than Ablett has.

What I don't understand is whose draft picks are they going to take to provide this compensation?

If I understand this correctly, if 5 players are nabbed by GC worthy of first round draft picks, then in the year in which teams are compensated, a pick 20 all of a sudden becomes a pick 25.

Mr Pumblechook said:
What I don't understand is whose draft picks are they going to take to provide this compensation?

If I understand this correctly, if 5 players are nabbed by GC worthy of first round draft picks, then in the year in which teams are compensated, a pick 20 all of a sudden becomes a pick 25.

It is definately policy on the run PC from the AFL.

They just sya what peoiple want to hear, then try to work it out later.