Friday night game in Tassie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Friday night game in Tassie

Probably a stupid question, but one for the locals.
Do many of the Tassie sides play night footy during winter?
Personally a fan of an extra bit of fresh n chilly in the winter sunshine during a game of footy with a bit of a brisk breeze thrown in.
Just curious about the prospects of night footy not far from the base of a snow covered Mount Welly.

Played a few hockey tournaments in Hobart over Winter months as a young man. This won't be a fun night for supporters or players, particularly if their is snow on Mt Wellington. They may have to try a few of our old tactics to keep warm, swig of whiskey or Stones Green Ginger Wine at half time just to keep the blood circulating. Could be as low as 0 at that time of year.

Re: Friday night game in Tassi

TigerMasochist said:
Probably a stupid question, but one for the locals.
Do many of the Tassie sides play night footy during winter?
Personally a fan of an extra bit of fresh n chilly in the winter sunshine during a game of footy with a bit of a brisk breeze thrown in.
Just curious about the prospects of night footy not far from the base of a snow covered Mount Welly.
Haven't lived there for a few years now but the limiting factor has been the infrastructure rather than the climate. Yes it gets very cold in the middle of winter, but clubs train at night. The upgrades at Bellerive Oval including lights, have transformed football and cricket

We are really going to set ourselves for this game next year,a bit like we did against Port this year after the 2014 Elim final.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we beat them this time around and certainly won't be writing it off as a loss.

Totally Agree David C. I grew up at Dodges Ferry but now live in QLD. If you didn't wear a wetsuit when you surfed at Park Beach you were never going to reproduce!. Night games can be very chilly but Bellerive has been redeveloped with this in mind, so hopefully they have cut out that chilling wind off the Derwent River, but if it rains or there is fog around it could get nasty.

TasCuz said:
Totally Agree David C. I grew up at Dodges Ferry but now live in QLD. If you didn't wear a wetsuit when you surfed at Park Beach you were never going to reproduce!. Night games can be very chilly but Bellerive has been redeveloped with this in mind, so hopefully they have cut out that chilling wind off the Derwent River, but if it rains or there is fog around it could get nasty.

A wetsuit may have helped back then (did they have 'em in 1970?), at least it might have stopped the massive sunburn that we all copped before the world realised that there was a massive hole in the Ozone Layer above Tassie and we were all being bombarded on a daily basis with enough radiation to mutate us into The Hulk........

It was cold enough at Bellerive this year, I might have to go undercover for the night match just to be safe.

Panthera Tigris said:
Yep for sure, there'll be icebergs floating off Bellerive Beach for that one, given Antarctica is only a quick boat ride away. ::)

*smile* me, does anyone have any idea outside of old wives tales?

Really not much difference in climate from Melbourne or Geelong. And even if it was a few degrees cooler, still not as cold as soccer in the UK and Europe. Or American football in the Northern US states. Australians generally have NO perspective of what 'cold' or 'freezing' weather is.

When there is snow on Eastern Beach or St Kilda I'll agree that Hobart climate is comparable to Melb.
But I agree on your comment that our winters are nothing compared to Europe and northern U S. How would we go at the G with 3 inches of snow? a large number of major NFL stadiums are still open air. I don't think I have ever seen an indoor match of soccer in a euro league but I am no expert on that. Yet they play ALeague games in summer under the Etihad roof at night?

1970's David, we must be of the same era. I am hopefully flying down for the game and will stay with Relatives on the Eastern Shore. At that time of the year I expect a nice day about 10-14 so I can enjoy at Lager at the Clarence Hotel before I walk to the game. Night temp should be around 2-6 so rug up.

rosy23 said:
Not so much defensive about the weather per se. More irritated by people being incapable of analysing beyond superficial clichés.

I lived in Tassie for a couple of years. You sound very defensive about the weather. I loved it. I remember the street near my house in West Hobart being covered with thick snow on a couple of occasions. I also recall the freezing wind chill factor coming off Mt Wellington. Maybe if Hobart doesn't get that cold now there's good support for the climate change and global warming theories.

I suppose Rosy, i'm not defensive of the weather per se. More I get irritated by the inability of people to think beyond superficial clichés.

You are certainly correct, when the south westerly snowy type weather streams come through, wind chill is the most challenging aspect. If we look at the actual average winter temps though, really not that much difference between Hobart and Melbourne, or even more so, Geelong - a couple of degrees is all, not that much in the scheme of things. Having said this, I ran an Australian Cross Country running championship at Eastern Park in Geelong once with a howling southerly. And the wind chill that day was on par with any I've ever come across over the years competing in Tasmania.

As for snow, I was born in the early 1980s and in my life time I've seen snow settle at sea level only twice. Actually only once in real thickness - and I'm barely old enough to remember that, so really is a freakish event. Higher suburbs in the foot hills of the mountain happens more often. But then this isn't much different to the Dandenongs. And I've seen Canberra with snow more often than Hobart in my lifetime. Hence why I find it all a bit clichéd. To be honest, any marked difference in Hobart's and Melbourne (or Geelong's) climate actually comes in summer, not winter so much. Melbourne is capable of having quite long spells of really hot weather. Hobart's is far more patchy. Occasional really hot days, dramatically overrun by cool fronts coming across the ocean from the west.

One thing's for sure. I'm with you, I prefer the southern states as I prefer to actually get a change of seasons (lived in Sydney for 4 years and that climate just doesn't do it for me). However I'll still maintain, Australians have little perspective of what actual 'cold' or 'freezing' weather is - Tasmanians included. After sitting through some Scottish Premier League games, Tasmanian (or Victorian) weather doesn't get 'cold'.

As a Tasmanian, I used to think it was cold here until I went to live in the New England states in the US. So cold outside in Winter my face would hurt. It will probably still be reasonably mild in Tassie in May. Any northerners making the trip WILL live to tell the story ;D

TasCuz said:
1970's David, we must be of the same era. I am hopefully flying down for the game and will stay with Relatives on the Eastern Shore. At that time of the year I expect a nice day about 10-14 so I can enjoy at Lager at the Clarence Hotel before I walk to the game. Night temp should be around 2-6 so rug up.

Yep, I have my flight and hire car already locked in - didn't want to wait until the FF seats evaporated - and will be looking for a decent match to give the Tiger fans in Tassie some payback for the last couple of "efforts" there.