Freo practice game how did we go? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Freo practice game how did we go?

Kayne pick of the Tiger crop
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:54:44 AM Tue 4 March, 2003

Kayne Pettifer's form was the main positive Richmond took out of last Saturday's 48-point loss to Fremantle in their practice match at WA country town Geraldton.

The 21-year-old, who is preparing for his third season of AFL football, kicked three of the Tigers' six goals for the game in an eye-catching display.

"It certainly was a promising performance by Kayne," said Richmond's Football Manager Greg Hutchison.

"I think he would acknowledge that he didn't perform as well as he would have hoped in the first round of the Wizard Cup (against Melbourne) and I guess he got more of an opportunity last Saturday.

"He stayed on the ground for the majority of the game and he competed really well and finished off well, too, with three goals."

Pettifer spent most of his time against the Dockers across half-forward, where he used his array of skills to full advantage.

"It was a pretty tough task for him, given the fact that we didn't have many key forwards out there," Hutchison said.

"But he continued to present, he attacked the ball really well and, overall, it was a good effort from him.

"He was able to win his own ball, was able to keep the ball in the forward line and he put pressure on the opposition as well, which was pleasing to see."

Pettifer was Richmond's No. 1 selection (No. 9 overall) in the 2000 AFL National Draft. He has played 17 senior games for the Tigers and kicked 15 goals in his two seasons of league football.

The Yellow and Blacks have earmarked him for either a half-forward or wing role this year.

"I think, at this stage of his career, that he probably hasn't quite got the endurance level that comes with several pre-seasons under your belt, to be able to play consistently in the midfield," Hutchison said.

"But he's got a history of kicking goals - he's been able to do it on a fairly regular basis, so we'd like to think that he could play half-forward and make an impact there consistently by kicking some goals for us."