Foward Line | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Foward Line

Phar Ace said:
While it's very early days, I was thinking Griffiths was more likely a CHF and Astbury a FF -

Quite honestly I don't care who plays what, as long as they both make it the Richmond supporter will be over the moon.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Quite honestly I don't care who plays what, as long as they both make it the Richmond supporter will be over the moon.

Agreed, not an issue to lose any sleep over having both those boys good enough to play 100-200 games. It was more a comment on type casting them by body size really.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Griffen also has the versatility to go in the ruck as well, is 198.5cm and may grow.

Go to bed mate - you are mixing your players and clubs aren't you, could be worse, could be your metaphors too ;D

Apparently Griffiths has grown to 201cm according to a poster on BF who said he got told by Flea Weightman at the Sydney RFC function prior to the match the other week.

Don't know if that's good or bad. I'm not normally a fan of KPF's that start getting into ruckman height (200cm+). Most normally fail besides the odd exception because you need to be something pretty special to survive in modern day AFL at that height as a KPF. For example, they need amazing agility and speed to be able to compete at ground level, basically the exact opposite of David Hale.

Hopefully Griffiths possesses those attributes. From all reports it sounds like he does but we will see.

I heard on the TV - think it was Healy on the couch, talking about how Goddard is the perfect size and ability for the modern forward. goddard has been playing for 7 years now and i think has always been a potential superstar, now just coming to fruition. He was tried down back, misfield and generally used all over the place for a while, which is fine and probably helped is development. He is now a good grab, hard and strong, good height to be mobile and a target. Great kick.
Pity we didn't have someone similar - oh wait! Deledio is an inch or so shorter and 4kg lighter, so he isn't a Goddard identicate - but is an unbelievable mark and has a great jump. He is certainly quicker. amazing kick.
And doesn't work in the mid field for mine. I just can't understand why he isn't played at HFF or even CHF. He would add some much needed execution to the forward line and would be a bugger to match up.
thoughts?

hutstar said:
I heard on the TV - think it was Healy on the couch, talking about how Goddard is the perfect size and ability for the modern forward. goddard has been playing for 7 years now and i think has always been a potential superstar, now just coming to fruition. He was tried down back, misfield and generally used all over the place for a while, which is fine and probably helped is development. He is now a good grab, hard and strong, good height to be mobile and a target. Great kick.
Pity we didn't have someone similar - oh wait! Deledio is an inch or so shorter and 4kg lighter, so he isn't a Goddard identicate - but is an unbelievable mark and has a great jump. He is certainly quicker. amazing kick.
And doesn't work in the mid field for mine. I just can't understand why he isn't played at HFF or even CHF. He would add some much needed execution to the forward line and would be a bugger to match up.
thoughts?

Perhaps in an ideal world he could spend more time in the forward 50 hutstar, but unfortunately we need as many guys who can actually kick the ball - with some level of accuracy - trying to deliver it into the forward half. We don't get enough quality delivery at the moment, so it seems to me that the attributes you noted would be wasted by playing him there.

Perhaps later in his career, when the overall skill level of the team is much higher, we'll have that luxury.

Right I am going to keep watching our foward line all year, thought today it was pretty average again. I think either Post or Polak need to be in there instead of Astbury, not knocking the kid, but he isn't big enough yet to crash packs and give us something to kick long to. I think part of the reason Jack was so average tonight was the support he got, or lack of. Also would put Morton in ahead of the (injured) Troy Taylor, but must keep Nahas, his pressure was outstanding.