Eagles whinging about Selwood compensation | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eagles whinging about Selwood compensation

Baloo said:
Stop compo. It's the only way to make it fair.

nah the compo system is fine in theory. its just that the AFL have buggered it up. teams shouldn't get picks after their own selections (ie. buddy and Frawley). a player should be graded according to a band, and a 'band' should be a specific draft pick. they just need to make sure they get the gradings right.
for example:
- a band 1 player should be straight pick 4 (let the bottom 3 teams have a pick first).
- a band 2 player should be straight pick 11 (every team that missed the finals gets a pick first, although this pick drops to 12 if band 1 is already used).
- a band 3 player should be straight pick 19 (end of round 1, although this pick drops to 19 or 20 if a band 1 and/or 2 player is already used).
- a band 4 player should be straight pick 37 (end of round 2, although this pick drops back depending on other bands).
- a band 5 player should be straight pick 55 (end of round 3, although this pick drops back depending on other bands).
- a band 6 player should have no compo.

Also, restricted FA should go. All players become unrestricted after 9 years

Ian4 said:
nah the compo system is fine in theory. its just that the AFL have buggered it up. teams shouldn't get picks after their own selections (ie. buddy and Frawley). a player should be graded according to a band, and a 'band' should be a specific draft pick. they just need to make sure they get the gradings right.
for example:
- a band 1 player should be straight pick 4 (let the bottom 3 teams have a pick first).
- a band 2 player should be straight pick 11 (every team that missed the finals gets a pick first, although this pick drops to 12 if band 1 is already used).
- a band 3 player should be straight pick 19 (end of round 1, although this pick drops to 19 or 20 if a band 1 and/or 2 player is already used).
- a band 4 player should be straight pick 37 (end of round 2, although this pick drops back depending on other bands).
- a band 5 player should be straight pick 55 (end of round 3, although this pick drops back depending on other bands).
- a band 6 player should have no compo.

Also, restricted FA should go. All players become unrestricted after 9 years

Should come from the club the FA is heading to. Why they get a FA for nothing beats me.
FA still gets to his club of choice, but other clubs aren't penalised by the afl compo picks.

Free agency that not only isn't free but punishes all the other teams in the comp bar the club gaining the free agent. *smile* *smile* system today tomorrow n forever.

Farcical how Wet Coke are bleating about not getting enough compo for a crock who needs an ankle reconstruction when they never had any intention of matching the offer as the Crows were going to for Danger. At least the Crows gave themselves the opportunity to negotiate a reasonable deal, Wet Coke just hoping the AFL would over compensate them for a one legged crock.

willo said:
Should come from the club the FA is heading to. Why they get a FA for nothing beats me.
FA still gets to his club of choice, but other clubs aren't penalised by the afl compo picks.

then you will have clubs complaining that they lost too much. you'll get 2 clubs complaining instead of 1.

I also take your point about other clubs being penalised by compo picks, but at least it will be a little more black and white. at the moment its as transparent as lead.

No compo. It's all swings and round abouts. You'll win some, you'll lose some. Well run clubs will attract players, poorly managed clubs will lose them.

Free market.

Ian4 said:
then you will have clubs complaining that they lost too much. you'll get 2 clubs complaining instead of 1.

I also take your point about other clubs being penalised by compo picks, but at least it will be a little more black and white. at the moment its as transparent as lead.

Up until this year they were not transparent.

They released the guidelines a week or so ago and they seem fair.

I reckon the 3 they have given so far have probably been about right.

Theres an easy response to Brisbane if they wanted a first or very early 2nd for Lberger, if he was that bloody good, why wasn't he in your first team. Hardly blessed with massive talent finishing 2nd bottom but with an A grader playing in their 2's apparently. Do these guys from the clubs actually think through what they say before it comes out of their mouths. Same goes fro Selwood, if he's a first rounder, why wasn't he in your first team? Hardly like every team (bar GWS and maybe Gold Coast) has an abundance of 1st round pick mids!!!

I'd think if either of these players were actually traded rather than FA then this is around about right for what they would receive in trade value, potentially actually on the high side.