Dustin Martin Round 10 Rising Star Nomination | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin Round 10 Rising Star Nomination

SAF said:
Instead of Judd, Cousins and Kerr we will have Delidio, Cotchin and Martin.

Judd and Cousins I agree with. Kerr has proven that without the other two he is no where near elite class. I tend to think our 3 will end up being a fair bit better than Kerr.

Phantom said:
About time!

Well done Dustin.

Without doubt, the Tigers' best first round pick in the history of the AFL draft. (With due respect to Deledio & Ottens.)
Big call...... but I'm with you on this Phanto.

Also like the Robert Shaw "Tim Watson/Chris Judd model" call. Watson had a man's body when he was still a kid and stood out with his speed and strength against much older and experienced types. Judd has the same core strength and drive to burst through the pack.

ZeroGame said:
Have been planning on posting this since the weekend, and thought this was an appropriate thread to do it in

Comparing first year averages (so far for Martin)

Chris D Judd 10.1 Kicks 5.0 Hand 15.0 Disp 2.2 Mark 1.0 Goals 0.6 Behind 2.9 Tack 2.7 Clearances
Dustin Martin 9.7 Kicks 10.2 Hand 19.9 Disp 1.6 Mark 0.3 Goals 0.4 Behind 2.4 Tack 4.8 Clearances (18th in AFL)
Great post :clap

Baloo said:
Judd and Cousins I agree with. Kerr has proven that without the other two he is no where near elite class. I tend to think our 3 will end up being a fair bit better than Kerr.

Disagree, Kerr has been crippled by injury for much of the post Judd/Cousins era. In 2007 many rated Kerr better than Judd. His stats were more impressive that year. Since 2007 Kerr has played 26 out of a possible 53 games due to injury. I still remember Jackson getting a complete towelling from Kerr in one game (granted it was Cox v Pattison in the ruck)

When fit Kerr fits easily in the elite class IMO.

That's my boy.
Well done to the wrecking ball.

Now for Astbury.

Baloo said:

Between 2005-2007 Kerr polled 63 Brownlow votes in 60 games - in that same period Judd polled 51 in 66 games. Cousins polled 37 from 53 games. Cousins was on the downhill slide in 2007 but 2005 & 2006 he was pretty much at his peak. Obviously the umpires thought Kerr was elite. I think you could revise the "no where near elite class" line to often in the elite class.

If our 3 all end up "a fair bit better than Kerr" we can start preparing the trophy cabinet.

Big Cat Lover said:
I think you could revise the "no where near elite class" line to often in the elite class.

Nah, I stand by it but I'll be happy to change my opinion when he can start performing at the same level without Judd and Cousins around him.

Tigermad2005 said:
Well done.
So which Richmond player is next?

I would think Nason is in for a good chance to get a nomination soon. He has been a very good player so far this season.

Baloo said:
Nah, I stand by it but I'll be happy to change my opinion when he can start performing at the same level without Judd and Cousins around him.

You don't think his poor run with injuries is an excuse for his drop in form?

If Kerr is average where do Jackson/McGuane sit on the Baloo barometer as you seem to be a fan of these guys. IYO do you think Jackson is comparable to Kerr in performance?

Big Cat Lover said:

I for one don't. Has Kerr been injured in 100% of all games he's played since Judd left? I strongly doubt it.

If you do cut Kerr slack for being injured did you do the same last year for Thomson and Hislop?

Big Cat Lover said:

Possibly, consider it bad timing I guess but I haven't seen him dominate without his two previous partners in crime. Maybe it's injuries or maybe he's the type of player that needs quality around him to bring the best out of him.

If Kerr is average where do Jackson/McGuane sit on the Baloo barometer as you seem to be a fan of these guys. IYO do you think Jackson is comparable to Kerr in performance?

Here's a deal for you, when you can show me where I called Kerr average, I'll answer your question. Until then, try not to put words into my mouth.

tiger12 said:
Robert Shaw described him as a Tim Watson/Chris judd model. Fair wrap.

With the added extra - curtain side air bags, traction control, anti lock braking system & bi-xenon headlights.