draft sham | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

draft sham

the idea of the academies is to get talented athletes from the Northern states playing AFL. this year 6(?) of the top 20 came from NSW or Queensland, im guessing in previous years that number would have mostly been 0. so from that point of view they are working.
also linking them to the clubs gievs players more incentive to play AFL as the likelihood they will stay in their home state is markedly increased.

where it falls down, as others have pointed out, is the way points were allocated to picks. the idea that a bunch of late picks equals a top 10 pick is ridiculous.
perhaps if clubs want to be able to bid on a 1st round pick they cannot trade there 1st pick away.

Brodders17 said:
the idea of the academies is to get talented athletes from the Northern states playing AFL. this year 6(?) of the top 20 came from NSW or Queensland, im guessing in previous years that number would have mostly been 0. so from that point of view they are working.
also linking them to the clubs gievs players more incentive to play AFL as the likelihood they will stay in their home state is markedly increased.

where it falls down, as others have pointed out, is the way points were allocated to picks. the idea that a bunch of late picks equals a top 10 pick is ridiculous.
perhaps if clubs want to be able to bid on a 1st round pick they cannot trade there 1st pick away.
spot on, and remember theres a 25 % smiling discount on academy kids, which club wouldn,t want a area to them selves plus access to draft anyway, you could have and its a real possibility and will happen, gws makes top 4 or wins a flag in next 5 years, they get pick 18 im draft and have a gun kid who would go top 5, even top 3, they easily accrue points to effectivly come out with pick 1-5, and still get pick 18, thats in a possible premiership year, we cant EVER REALLY ACHIEVE THIS , HOW THE smiling hell is this viable or fair to vic clubs.

I got the feeling that our bidding on Kennedy & ? was simply a strategic move and we knew we werent going to get them. But it made me think whats the possibility of "collusion" that could emenate form this?

Brodders17 said:
Perhaps we should simply go back to the old father / son plus now academy system of nominating whichever eligible kid and then claiming him with the last available live pick? All those interstate clubs could just have snaffled each of the lot with picks ranging from seventy or eighty upwards, instead of having to at least trade something to ensure they had enough points picks to be able to rack up enough points to match value.

tigertim said:
I got the feeling that our bidding on Kennedy & ? was simply a strategic move and we knew we werent going to get them. But it made me think whats the possibility of "collusion" that could emenate form this?
I actually think we would have been happy to get them at those picks BUT I also think we had a sight on another player that may have been pushed down to us by making the Academy kids go earlier. I was thinking that they may have been hoping someone like Dunkley could have slipped through.

jokershoppe said:
What *smile* the academy situation was with some giving up two picks in mid 30, s and getting back pick in the early teen and pick40, the draft collusion was obviously carlton and sos, should be investigated has only reason they completed their 4 player deal.

just goes to show how amatuer our List managment dept is..............SOS is miles ahead.

TheCan said:
just goes to show how amatuer our List managment dept is..............SOS is miles ahead.

How does the example of Tomato Sos, in any way, reflect poorly on our List Management Dept?

Gazmatron said:
Clearly you have no idea of where AFL is played in NSW. It is limited to the Riverina, Canberra and Sydney metro. These is a comp around Broken Hill but players there have always gone to Adelaide not Sydney. Minor competitions on the South Coast and around Newcastle. There have been no players from the Newcastle or South Coast areas made AFL list out of that comp. The Sydney metro players apart from the McVeighs and the Jack brothers include such notables as Ed Barlow, Playfair and Craig Bird (years ago everyones bogey McClure) not much of a harvest over that last 10 years from academies. From memory Troy Luff and our own Ray Hall started in the Newcastle area before moving to Sydney they were the only ones to make an AFL list. All 4 Northern clubs throw a considerable amount of money at these academies. The Southern and Interstate clubs contribute nothing to them so like the Father/son rule why shouldn't they get a bonus when it arrives. As some comments have been made if in 1 year we fluked the next Richo and Lids under the father/son we would be off loading our first round pick really quick. Under the arrangement of dividing the State into 18 areas we would probably draw Dubbo and take us 5 years to explain to the locals what the 4 goal posts stood for. The same applies in Queensland where it is strictly limited to the Brisbane / Gold Coast corner with a minor comp around Townsville. Anyway why limit it to NSW and Qld why not the rest of the Country. Imagine the whinges in Victoria if the Crows were given Ovens and Murray and Freo the Bendigo leagues.
Some points:

Heeney is a Newcastle product

There was a young fella drafted from Ulladulla on the NSW south coast to Adelaide a few years ago. A friend of mine coached him as a national junior 800m champion in athletics, before footy poached him. Has been delisted now though.

Cairns-Port Douglas is another Aussie Rules enclave in QLD.

TheCan said:

Where did that come from.

I don't follow the juniors like some on here.

But just by reading the news papers and a few web sites I could have picked as well as SOS at both GWS & Carlton.

Bit of reality

Look I operate in the NSW market it is fantastic that we are now attracting the best talent both men & women to AFL.
This is something that Vic people don't understand, we are fighting against overwhelming odds here in NSW not least because the AFL keep sending Vic people to run the game who know nothing about what they're doing. We all have to take a big picture view of our great sport, that being said GO TIGES!

Mappa said:
Where did that come from.

I don't follow the juniors like some on here.

But just by reading the news papers and a few web sites I could have picked as well as SOS at both GWS & Carlton.

Bit of reality

SOS has been pretty good at doing some left field deals to get those picks. He's been fearless culling Carlton's list. Short term pain rather than long-term mediocrity. Whether that works out for them we'll see in a few years time.

15 changes or so to the Blues list. That's a hefty whack in 1 year. They are my bet for the spoon in 2016

Tails said:
Look I operate in the NSW market it is fantastic that we are now attracting the best talent both men & women to AFL.
This is something that Vic people don't understand, we are fighting against overwhelming odds here in NSW not least because the AFL keep sending Vic people to run the game who know nothing about what they're doing. We all have to take a big picture view of our great sport, that being said GO TIGES!
I spent 4 years living in NSW. Even took a year off my main sport (athletics) and played a season of footy in the Sydney league. One thing that I observed at my club was the disproportionate amount of guys from southern NSW and ACT (usually moved to Sydney for work reasons) playing. Always made me think, the AFL/VFL made a blunder not moving a club to or establishing a club in Canberra 25-30 years ago, to tap into the established following the sport has in southern NSW/ACT.

Add to this. Canberra wasn't really a Rugby League town until the NSW Rugby League (as it was then known) established the Canberra Raiders. Certainly a lost opportunity for Aussie Rules.

Perhaps there should have been a carrot dangled in front of Fitzroy to move to Canberra around the same time South Melb moved to Sydney. As early as this time Fitzroy being merged with other clubs such as Melbourne was being discussed. As I say, wouldn't have only represented Canberra-ACT, but been the team of Southern NSW (Including the Riverina, border region as well as the far south coast) which has always had a traditional Aussie Rules following.