Do you agree with Benny Gale? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Do you agree with Benny Gale?

Do you agree with Benny Gale?

• Yes

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Andy Maher is a tool & should be sacked from SEN

Votes: 32 29.6%

• Total voters
It might have been better to argue the case before our season went pear shaped. I wonder if any of the clubs protested at all about the moved goal posts.

New York Tiger said:
What you say in public, and what you say behind closed doors can be 2 separate things...
Agree, i'm sure the club is looking at getting a player but does not want to be seen as asking for help.
The more people talk about it the happier the club will be.

Tiger_4_Life said:
Why are we the ones that have to be seen doing the 'noble' things in order to get some respect but end up looking like the usual basket case we are.

great point T4L. i wasn't sure whether my opinion was yes or no, but the above point has convinced me its a no. carlton and melbourne rorted the system. why do we need to hold the moral high ground?

I agree we don't want handouts or special assistance. But we should argue to get treated the same way as every other underachieving club has over the past 10 years or so. While it is our fault we are where we are, every club that has come last has been at fault in some way or another....and they have all benefited from the draft in a greater way than we will this year.

The AFL are prioritising the competitiveness of new clubs over that of a club that has been in the competition for over 100 years.

We are that far in the sh!t at the moment that we need all the help we can get.

disagree totally with him.

We didn't tank when we should have and now we need priority picks like never before.

BBC said:
No I don't want any help or handouts.
We have got ourselves into this position and we have to dig ourselves out.
I have faith in Benny Gale.
I am optimistic (but not sold) on Craig Cameron and Francis Jackson.
I am hopeful on Damian Hardwick.
Well summed up

I don't mind us looking poor at the moment, but I don't want our club to be seen to be crying poor.

The only thing I think the AFL could give us for this year's draft (if they decided we deserved another early pick) would be to give us pick 4 and pick 6.

Therefore: Pick 1. GC, 2. GC, 3. GC, 4. Richmond, 5 GC, 6. Richmond.

It's unlikely to happen and no doubt would create a major issue for whoever is going to finish 15th.

Actually, there could be a horrible situation with the way the the draft is structured this year if the Gold Coast can't land a major uncontracted player, they may dangle pick 3 up for trade for a quality player who is willing to go north during trade week.

The way Voss was willing to throw players up for trade last year he might be tempted to trade a highly rated player to the new team for a high pick!

Imagine having another major club trading out a quality player for pick 2 or 3 before we get our pick!!

cagedtiger said:
Absolutely agree with Mr Gale. Taking accountability for the past failures and redressing without seeking the sympathy vote or seeking special needs help is a powerful message. Embedding this attitude in the fabric of the club is what is needed - this will be a significant and lengthy cultural change. I never understand why people want an easy out, a quick fix, 'help me I am a victim' - if you get an easy out, you then you will expect another and another - it is not sustainable and you never learn to fight or work for yourself, you never learn to pick yourself up and dust the dirt off and take head on the adversity. Good for you Benny for having such a selfless philosophy.

Wow. First time I've ever agreed with you.

Asking for concessions is *smile* weak. Worse than tanking imo.

I voted no. In a sense maybe it was the right thing to say, I just hope to goodness that Benny doesn't believe it! As a club we are the nice guys of the comp we are meek and roll over on a weekly basis on field. When shafted by the ruthless cheats of the competition we say 'tut tut at Tigerland we will never stoop that low' but then look sheepishly at the ground when this or that team that we mangaged to scape a bit of pride against last year is thumping us this! Personally I've had enough of this self defeating mentality. If you hadn't been watching Brendan we are just about the worst team to have ever played at this level! We desperately need every concession we can get! We need almost as many concessions as the start up teams!

Finally we are trying to do things properly.
We are our own worst enemies. We shared gates with Collingwood until we took the short term option of taking all the money. Now we get 1 game a year against them.

Until we fundamentally change we are going to be a basket case.

puregreen said:
Actually, there could be a horrible situation with the way the the draft is structured this year if the Gold Coast can't land a major uncontracted player, they may dangle pick 3 up for trade for a quality player who is willing to go north during trade week.

The way Voss was willing to throw players up for trade last year he might be tempted to trade a highly rated player to the new team for a high pick!

Imagine having another major club trading out a quality player for pick 2 or 3 before we get our pick!!

Can't see any horrible situation if that happened, thered be no difference actually. If another club trades out a quality player then theyre still losing some quality to get a quality junior.

Why is it ignoble to demand the same thing every other wooden spooner has received in the competition?Especially when we at least can say we didn't tank - unlike others. We have some potentially elite players, but we are way behind just about every other club - we need more talent to become a good side and it is difficult to see development alone getting us there. Mind you...Brendan Gale might be playing things publically the only way he can for now.

Bennnny said:
We are our own worst enemies. We shared gates with Collingwood until we took the short term option of taking all the money. Now we get 1 game a year against them.

Don't even get me started on that one Bennnny. The most stupid, short-sighted decision I have ever seen in any situation, sporting or otherwise.

We should be suing Clinton Casey forthat one.

Bennnny said:
Finally we are trying to do things properly.

We were getting screwed in that deal. Was the right decision to cancel it.
I'm kinda glad we only play them once a year at the moment anyway.

I'm sure when we are playing finals football again the AFL won't be able to help themselves and will definitely schedule us twice a year for blockbuster matches against the big Vic teams

brigadiertiger said:
Yes Geelong got them to change their thoughts about compensation for players leaving but then the AFL likes Geelong. There is no chance no matter what the club was to say or do that would get them to change their mind in our favour. As far as the AFL are concerned Richmond is a dispensible club to get them a Tasmanian team.

I would rather Gale and the club not waste their time and efforts on doing something that is not going to change and focus their energies on doing things that will result in a positive for the club.

I want nothing more than for Richmond to get back on their own without help from the AFL and show the world that the AFL will help clubs that cheat but clubs that legitimately are poor are left to fend for themselves.

If we go to tassie, does that mean we will get a raft of early picks, or maybe the carcass of another club like brisbane did?

I think not.......we should get the same consideration tha other clubs who finish last get........gellong ets compensation if g abblett leaves just in case they dont maje their 5th GF in a row next season......complete and utter bulshit.

Get to it Mr Gale!!!!!