Do you agree with Benny Gale? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Do you agree with Benny Gale?

Do you agree with Benny Gale?

• Yes

Votes: 50 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • Andy Maher is a tool & should be sacked from SEN

Votes: 32 29.6%

• Total voters

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
its been a week or so now since our CEO came out and stated that we don't want any sympathy, charity, AFL assistance, etc. he wants the club to do it the hard way. we've all had plenty of time to consider his comments... so do you agree with him? or should we be banging down the door on harbour esplanade?

Yes, I agree, because of the philosophy that the statement is backed up by.

Benny is saying we're not going to ask for any handouts because, starting this year, we are going to take responsibility for our own situation. If that philosophy could start flowing through everything that everyone does at Tigerland, it will go miles further than any extra draft pick.

Gale's statement about taking responsibility was the highlight of the season, on or off-field, for me so far.

Yes, I agree with Benny. And I think this is the only club attitude that could see us given some extra assistance from the AFL anyway.

I couldn't disagree with him more. Fact is we are at least 5 goals worse than any other team in the competition and 10 goals worse than most. We are desperately in need of a priority draft pick at the pointy end of the draft.

Do you think Carlton, St Kilda or Melbourne fans give a stuff that they have received handouts from the AFL in the past.

On the money, Mr Magic

Richmond are their own worst enemy.

evo said:
On the money, Mr Magic

Yep, IMO Gale and co are derelict in their duty if they don't demand a fairer deal for RFC. By fairer I mean the right to what every other club has had for finishing last; the first pick in the draft and a priority pick (if we win 4 games or less) in the late teens.

I disagree with him too, Geelong kicked up a stink about getting fair compensation for Ablett should he leave to the GC. This is a team that has won 2 grand finals and are on track to be in their 4th GF in a row, and the AFL listened to them. They would at least listen to our request had we approached them and Benny should have plenty of pull down at AFL HQ. Why are we the ones that have to be seen doing the 'noble' things in order to get some respect but end up looking like the usual basket case we are. Respect will come when we start winning games with young kids that can play footy, and our best bet was high draft picks.

evo said:
On the money, Mr Magic

[/quote

Too many mistakes before, another mistake now. He shouldve put this subject to the members.
Im not happy!

Absolutely agree with Mr Gale. Taking accountability for the past failures and redressing without seeking the sympathy vote or seeking special needs help is a powerful message. Embedding this attitude in the fabric of the club is what is needed - this will be a significant and lengthy cultural change. I never understand why people want an easy out, a quick fix, 'help me I am a victim' - if you get an easy out, you then you will expect another and another - it is not sustainable and you never learn to fight or work for yourself, you never learn to pick yourself up and dust the dirt off and take head on the adversity. Good for you Benny for having such a selfless philosophy.

Mr Magic said:
I couldn't disagree with him more. Fact is we are at least 5 goals worse than any other team in the competition and 10 goals worse than most. We are desperately in need of a priority draft pick at the pointy end of the draft.

Do you think Carlton, St Kilda or Melbourne fans give a stuff that they have received handouts from the AFL in the past.

They are laughing in our faces the cheats.

cagedtiger said:
Absolutely agree with Mr Gale. Taking accountability for the past failures and redressing without seeking the sympathy vote or seeking special needs help is a powerful message. Embedding this attitude in the fabric of the club is what is needed - this will be a significant and lengthy cultural change. I never understand why people want an easy out, a quick fix, 'help me I am a victim' - if you get an easy out, you then you will expect another and another - it is not sustainable and you never learn to fight or work for yourself, you never learn to pick yourself up and dust the dirt off and take head on the adversity. Good for you Benny for having such a selfless philosophy.

Hear hear CT! :clap We need a change of culture and a change of mindset. When it comes to premium draft picks, we've been playing that game since Anthony Banik and it hasn't solved anything. Gale has diagnosed the real problem and it aint welfare payments.

Yes Geelong got them to change their thoughts about compensation for players leaving but then the AFL likes Geelong. There is no chance no matter what the club was to say or do that would get them to change their mind in our favour. As far as the AFL are concerned Richmond is a dispensible club to get them a Tasmanian team.

I would rather Gale and the club not waste their time and efforts on doing something that is not going to change and focus their energies on doing things that will result in a positive for the club.

I want nothing more than for Richmond to get back on their own without help from the AFL and show the world that the AFL will help clubs that cheat but clubs that legitimately are poor are left to fend for themselves.

I wanted to vote yes, but the last option was way too tempting!! ;D

When I say I agree, I mean I don't want any extra pick or compensation out of the ordinary, but do think we should get what everyone else before us has got when they have been in the same situation.

There are no prospects of a priority pick in 2010 or 2011. The draft picks for the new teams are a term of their contract to join the AFL. So suck it up Tiges and get on with what we have. Perhaps the AFL could bank roll another recruiting officer?

We've had plenty of early picks but stuffed them up,we've got to get ourselves out of this mess ourselves & Benny is right.

mb64 said:
We've had plenty of early picks but stuffed them up,we've got to get ourselves out of this mess ourselves & Benny is right.
Get the AFL to choose the priority pick them so we carnt be blamed if he turns out crap! ;D

No I don't want any help or handouts.
We have got ourselves into this position and we have to dig ourselves out.
I have faith in Benny Gale.
I am optimistic (but not sold) on Craig Cameron and Francis Jackson.
I am hopeful on Damian Hardwick.