Disgruntled player draft. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Disgruntled player draft.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
It seems the medicine we are having to take ATM is a bit too sour.Pre's are screaming for more priority picks,draw concessions,etc.By my reckoning we have only 8 AFL standard players on the list.I know it would not happen,but if we had a chance to pick-up one disgruntled player(does not get on with the coach,slept with his mother...)from each of the remaining clubs,and we gave them a player each.It would be an interesting scenario IMO.Probably have to reinstate Tommy Hafey as disciplinarian though.

RFC would be a land of opportunity for any half decent player who can't get a regular spot in one of the other better teams.....as you say, there are only a handful of players filling our 22 spots each week who seem to be up to it.

Wasn't thinking disgruntled but more the 23rd-24th men in other sides that we may be able to attract post season with regular games
Players that have showed something but are kept out of the side because of a strong 18
Collingwood has a deep list and before Anzac Day Chris Dawes was the first on my list
Big Body to help out Jack and a Huge upgrade on any of our own ie: Polak

Dawes 193cm, Anthony 192cm, Goldsack 193cm, Reid195cm, Cam Wood 204cm.....All from the Pies struggling for regular games, all upgrades for us
Not saying they are all long term but would definately bring us back to contention over the next 3-4 years and all under 24!

Other talls I would like to target:
Walker (Adel), Sellar (Adel), McEvoy (StK), Stanley (StK)

I dont want to go down the path of swappingpicks for retreads, but in a weakened draft if we can get rid of a rd3 which will be low this yr or a pick in the PSD surely it would start to get some mature bodies in that only require a season or two of hardening as opposed to 5!!!

Midfielders can be picked up most yrs but our club needs to focus on talls!!

RICHO_12 said:
Dawes 193cm, Anthony 192cm, Goldsack 193cm, Reid195cm, Cam Wood 204cm.....All from the Pies struggling for regular games, all upgrades for us

Not sure they'd be upgrades. In our current team, without the better players around them, they'd be duds as big as the duds we're labeling in our team now.

Crows - Walker
Lions - Hawksley
Blues - Hampson
Pies - Goldsack
Dons - Myers
Dockers - Clarke
Cats - Djerrkura
Hawks - Muston
Dees - Maric
North - ?
Port - Salter
Saints - ?
Swans - Veszpremi
Eagles - Houlihan
Dogs - Addison

Most (if not all) these players aint disgruntled but haven't been getting consistent games ATM

gold1 said:
By my reckoning we have only 8 AFL standard players on the list.

what exactly is an AFL standard player? i would have thought we had about 35 of them, that being the number on our list who have played AFL.
is raines AFL standard? *smile*?

davidrodan said:
Crows - Walker
Lions - Hawksley
Blues - Hampson
Pies - Goldsack
Dons - Myers
Dockers - Clarke
Cats - Djerrkura
Hawks - Muston
Dees - Maric
North - ?
Port - Salter
Saints - ?
Swans - Veszpremi
Eagles - Houlihan
Dogs - Addison

Most (if not all) these players aint disgruntled but haven't been getting consistent games ATM

There's a reason why they can't get games though. Most of them are crap.

Barnzy said:
There's a reason why they can't get games though. Most of them are crap.

Come on Norths Question Mark is Ok, Worth looking at.
Most of our players have question marks against there names too!! :rofl

Brodders17 said:
what exactly is an AFL standard player? i would have thought we had about 35 of them, that being the number on our list who have played AFL.
is raines AFL standard? schulz?
Just to clarify 8 players that would get a game with most clubs.And seems you mention both Raines and Schulz,currently they cut it.

Brodders17 said:
is raines AFL standard? schulz?

Good point. If you have played a game of AFL it means you met the standard of the time. Too many people bandy this term around as if it means something knowledgeable in a discussion.

gold1 said:
Just to clarify 8 players that would get a game with most clubs.And seems you mention both Raines and Schulz,currently they cut it.

i just dont agree with the whole "would get a game at most club" thing. we have 3 guys this year who we got rid of cos they couldnt get a game with us who are playing, or have played, at clubs in the 8. 2 are regulars. these were guys that every one last year would have said "wouldnt get a game at any other club"

cagedtiger said:
Good point. If you have played a game of AFL it means you met the standard of the time. Too many people bandy this term around as if it means something knowledgeable in a discussion.
I think I clarified my position knowledgable or not. ::)

Brodders17 said:
i just dont agree with the whole "would get a game at most club" thing. we have 3 guys this year who we got rid of cos they couldnt get a game with us who are playing, or have played, at clubs in the 8. 2 are regulars. these were guys that every one last year would have said "wouldnt get a game at any other club"
You were the one that wanted clarification re AFL standard players,I gave you that.It is just my opinion,no need to name players.And just to go further NOT everyone thought it was good idea to cull some of the players in question last year.Already in this thread some have compiled a list of potential players,and some have already disagreed.Take it for a bit conjecture(fun even),really we need some right now. ::)

Brodders17 said:

It's actually quite an eye opener.

If Schulz and Raines can be solid best 22 players for top 8 teams, then almost anyone on our list could be a solid player if you have the quality at the top.

SOLID, thats sooo wrong, Shultz still continues with his consistancy and for Raines i've watched 4 brisbane games including the game against sydney lets just say Im rapt that his in brisbane..
torney, maxfield and rodan have been players that i think that have helped there sides after leaving rfc..

zippadeee said:
SOLID, thats sooo wrong, Shultz still continues with his consistancy and for Raines i've watched 4 brisbane games including the game against sydney lets just say Im rapt that his in brisbane..
torney, maxfield and rodan have been players that i think that have helped there sides after leaving rfc..

Will be surprised if either Raines or Schulz will be at their clubs next year (assuming they only have 1 year contracts). Interestingly Peterson was dropped at Hawthorn. Wasn't listed as injured. Thought he was actually performing the best of the three mentioned.

If we could get a young kid like Dawes I would jump at it.

He is just 21, 193cms and mobile and who until recently Collingwood have played predominately as a decoy forward, he would be an ideal fit for what we are lacking terribly, that is a key postion forward with a big body who can break packs, take contested marks and kick reasonably well and is as strongas an ox.

He would thrive at Richmond as he would play week in and week out and would get delivered the ball on a consistent basis, as he would be no decoy. Collingwood are in need of some speedy midfielders, just dont know how many of them we have and whether we would trade.

Personally unless there was somebody awfully good in the draft, I see no alternative to trading for size and strength in KP areas.

getbacktoglorydays said:
If we could get a young kid like Dawes I would jump at it.

He is just 21, 193cms and mobile and who until recently Collingwood have played predominately as a decoy forward, he would be an ideal fit for what we are lacking terribly, that is a key postion forward with a big body who can break packs, take contested marks and kick reasonably well and is as strongas an ox.

He would thrive at Richmond as he would play week in and week out and would get delivered the ball on a consistent basis, as he would be no decoy. Collingwood are in need of some speedy midfielders, just dont know how many of them we have and whether we would trade.

Personally unless there was somebody awfully good in the draft, I see no alternative to trading for size and strength in KP areas.

You better start barracking for Jack Anthony then

Dawes did look quite good on the weekend, to bad Pies will want pick 4, Lids and Jack, bloody tight arses