Dimma, Cotchy and the boys owe the fans an apology | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dimma, Cotchy and the boys owe the fans an apology

tiger76 said:
This is an interesting one. I began writing a response that questioned whether our loss was mental weakness or just a combination of skill errors at key moments and certain players not playing to the level we know they should be, but as I started typing out the list of those players I found myself starting to sway towards the notion that we are mentally not there yet. Cotchin, Deledio, Edwards, Ellis didn't set the world on fire.

And am I the only one that felt that north looked to have a team of bigger stronger bodies or did it just look that way because of the way the tiges played?

If their coach's ridiculous antics, petrie's punchable face and the niggly way they play isn't enough for every player to play out of their skins I don't know if there will ever be. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the dissection of this one.

All in all it's probably a combination of mental weakness, skill, decision making and a few players not doing their usual business.

How important is a top 4 spot?

No mention of the coaching staff I see, it was obviously all the players fault.

The worst part of it all is the fact we lost to North!! They are so far off winning a premiership it's not even funny. Had they played any other team yesterday i reckon they would of been smashed. That is what makes it hurt even more. They are imposters. Their best players are all geriatrics yet they still out ran us.

That tells me it was 90% coaching and selections.

What made Dimma believe that Batchelor could contain the athletic Waite when Grimes was the perfect match up. Waite was the only reason North were actually in the game in that first quarter. He had done it to us every time we played Carlton yet Dimma still had no answer. I mean how many times do you need to be flogged by someone before you wake up and realise what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

frawleyudud said:
The worst part of it all is the fact we lost to North!! They are so far off winning a premiership it's not even funny. Had they played any other team yesterday i reckon they would of been smashed. That is what makes it hurt even more. They are imposters. Their best players are all geriatrics yet they still out ran us.

Imposters, geriatrics or whatever other insult we could throw at them they wanted it more and were a better team than us on the day. Mental attitude has a lot to do with it and their's was better than ours unfortunately.

frawleyudud said:
What made Dimma believe that Batchelor could contain the athletic Waite when Grimes was the perfect match up. Waite was the only reason North were actually in the game in that first quarter. He had done it to us every time we played Carlton yet Dimma still had no answer. I mean how many times do you need to be flogged by someone before you wake up and realise what is going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Maybe Dimma reads footy forums where most neutrals believe Waite's a dud. Paid for his recruitment with yesterday alone.

But North simply had to finish top four and they blew it. About to go over the cliff.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
But North simply had to finish top four and they blew it. About to go over the cliff.

I give them a reasonable chance against Sydney. They'll be the underdogs but I wouldn't be the least surprised if they won. I would have fancied our chances too. That's why losing is so disappointing.

CarnTheTiges said:
I don't want an apology that won't make any difference. I want to see them win a final at least one, but I don't think that will happen, either, not with the current group and coach. Players have to lift in finals and ours simply didn't.

Agree entirely. The definition of insanity (other than being a Richmond supporter!) is to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result. In my opinion our game plan does not stand up to winning finals football where the pressure is turned up, key forwards become super important and goals are a premium. Our list has so many holes in it in all the key areas. No tall ruckman, no marking CHF, no crumbing forward, no third tall defender. The only thing we did well yesterday was our kicking at goal which effectively kept us in the game. Kudos for Reiwoldt who (imo) played a lone hand in the forward line.

If I hear any more verbal garbage from key leaders at our club I will be very disappointed. Same garbage that has been dragged out last two years. The only way to rectify that sort of performance is by actions - and not in rounds 1 to 23 next year (because that is expected to happen anyway) - it is when we next get the chance to redeem that ordinary effort by so many highly rated players - in a final and hopefully next year.

Just my ten cents worth!

French Tiger said:
What also hurts is that the Swans are there for the taking this week

Yep. As they were in 2013 when we *smile* up that final.

We mess up opportunities better than anyone at Richmond.

French Tiger said:
What also hurts is that the Swans are there for the taking this week

Yep, North will be prime to beat them after they rested half their team in the last round.
I'll say it again.
Scott may be a tool, but he's a smart operator comes finals.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Frankly I do not want to hear an apology. I do not want to hear about how the defeat burns and will spur them on etc. Better to internalise these things than offer promises that the masses want to hear.
Agree. An apology is not required, nor would it do anything to numb the pain.

Ian4 said:
Absolutely devastated as I'm sure most of you are, but my interpretation of the game is that we weren't beaten by a better team, we weren't outplayed, we weren't out coached, it's just that we are mentally weak.

Yes namesake we agree on this.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Frankly I do not want to hear an apology. I do not want to hear about how the defeat burns and will spur them on etc. Better to internalise these things than offer promises that the masses want to hear.

fair point but where to from here? we have proved this year that we have a team capable with mixing it with the best in the home and away season. but if we thought the pressure to win a final was big this year, how intense will it be next year if we're facing yet another elimination final? how will we deal with it? the players keep saying it hurts from previous years, but clearly they don't know how to deal with the expectation. yesterday was devastating, but imagine the fallout from a 4th finals loss in 2016? it'll tear the club apart I reckon.

IanG said:
I blame the players a lot more than the coaches.

Yep.

They are the ones who didn't run, couldn't get the ball, picked and chose and turned it over. Not Hardwick.

But in saying that, this loss has many fingerprints on it.