Deluded or justifiably satisfied | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Deluded or justifiably satisfied

DiscoStu

Disco Stu doesn't advertise
Nov 15, 2003
Melbourne
I find myself in the workplace being quietly happy with where this once-mighty club sits.

When people try to get a rise out of me about our sorry state - I stick to the party line and tell them that finally, after many years of ineptitude and false starts, we are on track.

Today at lunch I referenced the cats of 2003 (thanks B1/B2) and our improved finances, training facilities and (I think I'm right in saying) our focus on player development (finally).

I don't care if we are 0/22. Really. As long as Dimma find out what he needs to find out, players who will make it are given every opportunity, morale is not totall sapped, improvements are being made, and there is genuine REAL hope for 2011 and beyond.

Drunk? Deluded? Institutionalised? Or justifiably satisfied?

I'll find out in about 12-24 months, I guess.

What about you? Are you happy with how we are traveling, despite the scoreboard? Did you expect any different given the exodus?

~stu
:afro

DiscoStu said:
What about you? Are you happy with how we are traveling, despite the scoreboard? Did you expect any different given the exodus?

~stu

Much much better than where we've been.
Imagine these results with Pettifer / McMahon / JON / Hughes etc still running around.

B1

DiscoStu said:
I don't care if we are 0/22. Really. As long as Dimma find out what he needs to find out, players who will make it are given every opportunity, morale is not totall sapped, improvements are being made, and there is genuine REAL hope for 2011 and beyond.

Agreed. We needed a proper rebuild and it looks like we're getting it. For better or worse Beavis and co need time and patience to see it through.

B1 and B2 said:
Much much better than where we've been.
Imagine these results with Pettifer / McMahon / JON / Hughes etc still running around.

Exactly! But in my conversation, I included Johnson, Bowdo, Brown and (dare I say) Richo.

We are doing ok - given the youth. I wish I was clearer on the gameplan that's trying to be developed, that's about all I can whinge about.

~stu

I am wrapped with tigers 2010 and DH. My non-tiger friends think I am mad when I grin and say we are going well. How could they possibly understand without experiencing the last 30 years?

tigergollywog said:
My non-tiger friends think I am mad when I grin and say we are going well.

Same - although I'm talking about my wife - ahhhh Blues supporter.

B1

jesus Bananas, if I had a carlton supporting wife, i reckon id have to develop some sort of psychological defence mechanism and end up with multiple personalities to accomodate her :hihi

Mate the rubbish the Bananas go through at work with these Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton supporters is tough.
But B1 & B2 always stand firm.. We tell them we are in a much better position than 12 months ago..
Having fresh faces running around at Richmond is really a breath of fresh air..

Hows that anwser DiscoStu... See we can be adults to.

You see deep down we love Richmond like all PREenders.

B2

Echoed my sentiments exactly.

I think it may stem from the fact that I am partly inured to the losses, however that would probably result in ambivalence more than anything.

I'm quietly optimistic, more so than I've been for a long time. That is, I expect a bright future, rather than being merely hopeful, i.e., wishing for a bright future.

DiscoStu said:

~stu

Thats funny Stu, I was having a similar conversation with a friend at lunchtime today.

Its fair to say however I'm not happy with how we're travelling. I can live with it provided all the "right" things are happening off field.

From the outside they seem to be, but really only hindsight is going to answer how effective the clubs transformation process is. Lucky we are a patient lot!

RoyceHart said:
From the outside they seem to be, but really only hindsight is going to answer how effective the clubs transformation process is. Lucky we are a patient lot!

Thing is - last year I was impatient and wanted success, having had it promised to me.

This year - I know where we are, where we are going and satisfied the pieces are in place to get us there. :)

mb64 said:

I'd love to be able to post a pithy one word reply that adds to the value of a thread - but I cannot.

Instead, I'll give you this to cheer up your day: http://tinyurl.com/26puksh

mb64 said:

Whenareyougoingtostartreplyingwithaneducatedviewofthesubjectratherthantheboringonewordanswersthatyoupersistonusingasanexcuseforanopinion?

(See...I can do one word answers too).

DiscoStu said:
Thing is - last year I was impatient and wanted success, having had it promised to me.

This year - I know where we are, where we are going and satisfied the pieces are in place to get us there. :)

For me - I know where we are, think I know where we're going and am hopeful that things are in place to get us there.

DiscoStu said:
I'd love to be able to post a pithy one word reply that adds to the value of a thread - but I cannot.

Instead, I'll give you this to cheer up your day: http://tinyurl.com/26puksh

:rofl :hihi :rofl :clap :cutelaugh
Well said ...... and may I say on that point .... GO DRAGONS!!!!!

When Patrick Smith in the Australian starts praising the Tigers, it really is time to believe. Up until the last week and a bit i have never heard him say a good word about us. So I am absolutely wrapped to be a Tiger Fan!

Yes, I'm quietly happy as well.

My dad caddied for Michael Green when he was playing golf in Tassie last week. Of course Dad's a mad tigerman as well.
Michael seems happy enough with the progress and also stated that the club went off the rails during Frawley's reign at the helm.
Should've cleaned out a bit after our finals appearance.

Not fresh news I know, but interesting to hear it from #37, premiership ruckman, Michael Green.

mb64 said:

Think I understand where he's coming, just can't do it with one word ;D

If we were doing this (and i thought we were then too) in 2004 onward, I would be a lot more 'justifiably satisfied', BUT I fear there is more delusion around give we don't have the all solving draft picks to rely on over the next few years that such a process would have delivered back then.

The only thing that will really save us is quality player develeopment though some of the best coaching going around, and we seem to be coming from a long way behind in that department too, until proof shows its ugly (or attractive) head.

I just think the odds are stacked up against us higher than usual. Impossible? No, of course not. But Hardwick will be some kind of Houdini to get us playing finals.