Decent nbn modem recommendations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Decent nbn modem recommendations

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Hi all, I’m with IInet with nbn father. I have an IiNet supplied modem..TG-789.
Ok ish performance but *smile* port wifi coverage of only about 10-15 metres. I tried power down, resets, relocations etc. home is single storey, gyprock sheeted. No steel or brick or obstructions.

So I’m after a reasonable modem, not too expensive, I don’t play games or anything. Just need one with decent speed and wifi coverage. Before I have to run some data cabling and network points.

Any recommendations on modem brand, type would be appreciated.

Smart arse replies will be answered in kind you bastards.

I too am with iiNet, and am pissed off about them removing the email account!

Do you mean NBN fibre? If so, you are lucky, we're stuck with coax, then again, we're now a marginal seat so maybe we can get fibre!

I know the modem we have came with the plan, you might want to ask if you can use any modem. I remember something about the phone (we have an internet version of a landline, not sure why we bother any more but it costs no more and have had the same number for decades so it has some uses) and there was something about compatibility with the phone so worth checking depending on what you have.

We got a range expander and it does help, maybe worth trying one of them? Our walls are plasterboard over lathe and plaster so quite thick but with the expander we get decent coverage around pretty much all of the house. Also, shifting the modem/router may help, depends on a number of factors, for us we have a desktop which is connected to the modem/router by a cable so it has to be fairly close.

I have thought about sending wires around the house from the router but it would mean climbing under the house and wiring it all up which would be a pain. If you did something like that you can plug in a range expander via a wired connection.

DS

I too am with iiNet, and am pissed off about them removing the email account!

Do you mean NBN fibre? If so, you are lucky, we're stuck with coax, then again, we're now a marginal seat so maybe we can get fibre!
Yeah we have FTTP fibre all the way in to the nbn modem. Then to the iiNet modem.
I know the modem we have came with the plan, you might want to ask if you can use any modem.
Yeah, most are able to connect, even if you need to change modem settings.
I remember something about the phone (we have an internet version of a landline, not sure why we bother any more but it costs no more and have had the same number for decades so it has some uses) and there was something about compatibility with the phone so worth checking depending on what you have.
VoIP had that, hardly use it now. Mainly mobiles.
We got a range expander and it does help, maybe worth trying one of them? Our walls are plasterboard over lathe and plaster so quite thick but with the expander we get decent coverage around pretty much all of the house. Also, shifting the modem/router may help, depends on a number of factors, for us we have a desktop which is connected to the modem/router by a cable so it has to be fairly close.
I installed a google nest router with 2 nest points. But then the speed drops a fair bit.
I have thought about sending wires around the house from the router but it would mean climbing under the house and wiring it all up which would be a pain. If you did something like that you can plug in a range expander via a wired connection.
That’s what I’ve tried as the easiest way. But with limited success. It seems to be drop in speed or keep speed and drop wifi range. Bit of a trade off. I still think it’s the iiNet modem. Might check a bit more.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Interesting what you say about sending cables around the house and the speed drops. If I ever think of doing this I will do some research first. In any case, climbing under the house to do this is not something I particularly want to do.

Probably harder for us to notice a speed drop, coax ain't fast to begin with :(

Our internet drops out quite a bit too. ADSL might have been slower but it was more reliable than what we have now. Geez, I wish we could get fibre.

DS

Consumer Wifi technology has changed a bit over the years. If your router is any older then 3 years I'd ditch it and get something newer.

But the router is only one side of the argument. If the devices you're using are old then a new router will only help so much.

Then there's the congestion you may have if you live in a dense neighbourhood, that won't help.

I run cat 6a into every room of the house and try to wire everything I can. Then a couple of high powered ceiling mounted APs to take care of the wireless stuff.

If your telephone wires are cat 5e, you can easily convert them to LAN ports capable of up to 1Gb speeds.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Baloo, any telephone wires in this house (bearing in mind there are 3 connections off the front of the house: power, NBN and the old telephone wire is still connected) would be copper! No Cat5, CAT6 or any sort of cat except the one with fur around this old house.

Might look into the router, I'll look at the iiNet info as we do need to keep the "landline" which is really VoIP these days.

DS

Interesting what you say about sending cables around the house and the speed drops. If I ever think of doing this I will do some research first. In any case, climbing under the house to do this is not something I particularly want to do.
No sorry mate. I meant the speed drops with the wifi extender. Not with cabling (straight back to the modem ports) it should be high with cat5/6 cable

Probably harder for us to notice a speed drop, coax ain't fast to begin with :(

Our internet drops out quite a bit too. ADSL might have been slower but it was more reliable than what we have now. Geez, I wish we could get fibre.
Poxy governments 😄

Hi all, I’m with IInet with nbn father. I have an IiNet supplied modem..TG-789.
Ok ish performance but *smile* port wifi coverage of only about 10-15 metres. I tried power down, resets, relocations etc. home is single storey, gyprock sheeted. No steel or brick or obstructions.

So I’m after a reasonable modem, not too expensive, I don’t play games or anything. Just need one with decent speed and wifi coverage. Before I have to run some data cabling and network points.

Any recommendations on modem brand, type would be appreciated.

Smart arse replies will be answered in kind you bastards.
I use this Willos.

1719533614151.png

• Haha
Consumer Wifi technology has changed a bit over the years. If your router is any older then 3 years I'd ditch it and get something newer.
I think my router is 4-5 years old. So that’s why I was thinking of a new one.
But the router is only one side of the argument. If the devices you're using are old then a new router will only help so much.
Yes, some are, some arn’t. Bit of a mixture, like most households I guess. iPads are only about 2 years old. Desktop Mac, only 17 years old 😄. But I’m replacing that. I have a newish model. But might see how the wifi signal works on that.
Then there's the congestion you may have if you live in a dense neighbourhood, that won't help.

I run cat 6a into every room of the house and try to wire everything I can. Then a couple of high powered ceiling mounted APs to take care of the wireless stuff.
Otherwise I will drop couple of cat6 cables to that and tv in lounge room.
Current modem flat out having wifi signal past 15m.
Right time of the year to do it, a couple of cavity drops down the walls and fit plugs and sockets.
Hard wiring, takes a bit more effort, but still much better than wifi. (With the right cable)

( was looking for an quick and easy solution while I’m recovering as I can’t do the cabling for a while yet)

If your telephone wires are cat 5e, you can easily convert them to LAN ports capable of up to 1Gb speeds.

I think my router is 4-5 years old. So that’s why I was thinking of a new one.

Yes, some are, some arn’t. Bit of a mixture, like most households I guess. iPads are only about 2 years old. Desktop Mac, only 17 years old 😄. But I’m replacing that. I have a newish model. But might see how the wifi signal works on that.

Otherwise I will drop couple of cat6 cables to that and tv in lounge room.
Current modem flat out having wifi signal past 15m.
Right time of the year to do it, a couple of cavity drops down the walls and fit plugs and sockets.
Hard wiring, takes a bit more effort, but still much better than wifi. (With the right cable)

( was looking for an quick and easy solution while I’m recovering as I can’t do the cabling for a while yet)

If you start running cables, you might want to think about ceiling mounted Access Points. Depending on the Router you buy, there is a good chance they have dedicated Access Points that work seamlessly with the router.

If you start running cables, you might want to think about ceiling mounted Access Points. Depending on the Router you buy, there is a good chance they have dedicated Access Points that work seamlessly with the router.
Thanks for the advice Baloo.
So hard wire the access points, then they’re wifi from there? Similar to mesh but hardwired to each point?
I’ll have a look at them.

Hmm, interesting points.

For me the way to go would be to put cables under the floor with an input in the study and outputs around the house. Hard work but is doable.

Will look at the modem though, can't remember how old it is, likely pre-COVID which would mean at least 4 years. Just has to be compatible with the VoIP.

DS

Hmm, interesting points.

For me the way to go would be to put cables under the floor with an input in the study and outputs around the house. Hard work but is doable
*smile* that. Concrete floors mate! :oops: Yeah, probably the way to go, ceiling, cavity drop down the walls.
Will look at the modem though, can't remember how old it is, likely pre-COVID which would mean at least 4 years. Just has to be compatible with the VoIP.
Well I don’t use voip anymore. Might even look at changing modem location. Run a new cable from the nbn and relocate modem more centrally. Or better of going to wifi/modem site. Or if possible google map for a store when someone can give good technical advice. There are a few options

Thanks for the advice Baloo.
So hard wire the access points, then they’re wifi from there? Similar to mesh but hardwired to each point?
I’ll have a look at them.

Yeah. Mesh backhauls to the router, or another mesh device, wirelessly so the issues remain. Most Mesh access points will let you backhaul over lan cable back to the router so you're in better shape if you go that route. The couple of mesh units I setup for friends also had LAN out so you can connect devices to the mesh routers via LAN cable.

While it's super convenient to have wireless everything, the reality is that wireless will never be as good as a wired connection.

Reactions: 2 users
One of the better Broadband user sites in Australia is https://whirlpool.net.au/ I'm sure you can ask questions there in the beginner section. Or even in the sub-forums for the main ISPs. iinet is bound to have a dedicated sub-forum so asking your questions there about routers etc that work well with iinet makes a lot of sense as most of the users in there will be with iinet
Nope, doesn't look like they have one. This is the one you want: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82

One of the better Broadband user sites in Australia is https://whirlpool.net.au/ I'm sure you can ask questions there in the beginner section. Or even in the sub-forums for the main ISPs. iinet is bound to have a dedicated sub-forum so asking your questions there about routers etc that work well with iinet makes a lot of sense as most of the users in there will be with iinet
Nope, doesn't look like they have one. This is the one you want: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/82
I did visit there a bit earlier. Mixed reviews of the TG 789. But it is nearly 5 years old..
My daughter has just had nbn reconnected in the house they’ve purchased. I might “borrow” their modem as a comparison.
Then decide. I’ve only got to wire to 2 extra points, so it’s not a big job.

I’ve found the whirlpool community forums quite handy at times.

Whirlpool is pretty knowledgeable, worth a visit.

Wires in the roof and down the walls would be ok here, we have lathe and plaster walls (with plasterboard over them) and that means we have no nogans making wiring a lot easier. But I reckon under floor would be easier - can get under the house although it is low at points as they built them closer to the ground in the 19th century.

Must have a think about possibly wiring up the house. My plan would be to have a 4 way input near the modem/router and then possibly 2 outlets in the lounge, 1 in the back room and 1 somewhere else. Would mean I can run wifi repeaters in a few rooms.

Plus will look at the age of our modem/router and see if it would be worth replacing.

Then maybe lobby the government to replace Malcolm Turnbull and Tony Abbott's sad excuse for a National Broadband Network. I would like at least 20th century technology - I know our house is old but we are allowed electricity now so something newer than coax would be nice.

DS

Actually, I may have focused on the hardware a little too much now that I think about it. I have 2Gb FTTH so the wireless speeds are noticeably slower than my wired connections. On NBN, I do wonder if there would be that much difference.

As soon as the 10Gb prosumer kit becomes more affordable, I'll be upping my internet connection to 10Gb. At $60 a month, it's hard to say no.