Dea & Astbury | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dea & Astbury

Tigerbob said:
I thought Dea demonstrated he has the tools to become a player in the AFL last night. Brave, athletic and showed the poise he demonstrated at lower levels. His kicking will come, had one bad error but that was more through decision than skill. His kicking at the lower levels has been very good, in fact for Coburg one of the things I noted was his ability to kick the ball to an angled lead from defense to cause an effective switch. Cannot remember him missing a target at Coburg.

While I think Dea's attack on the ball is commendable, at this point he hasn't showed me any attacking instincts or creative ability. We are devoid of any creative players coming out of our backhalf and have been forced to try Deledio and Cotchin. If Dea is to become a part of the back six moving forward he is going to have to show some creative flair. We cannot add him to an already bland and unskillful group of defenders. Actually firstly I would like to see him get the ball and move it forward by foot. At the moment he is playing hot potato by hand and selling others into trouble. Really is showing all the traits of someone who hasn't played much football and has a long, long, long way to go.

Astbury needs to be played. My knock on him is his speed and power. He has smarts though.

Dea was good last night. He plays a little like Newman; hard, competitive and decent kicking skills. He deserves a go ahead of Farmer as pointed out.

Good signs from both boys at this stage, wouldn't mind seeing Dea have a few run with roles on good players over the next couple of seasons, also like to see Astbury have 5 or 6 AFL games across half back on good forwards

SCOOP said:
While I think Dea's attack on the ball is commendable, at this point he hasn't showed me any attacking instincts or creative ability. We are devoid of any creative players coming out of our backhalf and have been forced to try Deledio and Cotchin. If Dea is to become a part of the back six moving forward he is going to have to show some creative flair. We cannot add him to an already bland and unskillful group of defenders. Actually firstly I would like to see him get the ball and move it forward by foot. At the moment he is playing hot potato by hand and selling others into trouble. Really is showing all the traits of someone who hasn't played much football and has a long, long, long way to go.

I agree and I don't.

Lower expectations on these kids.

His defensive output has been very good. He has shown he has the athletic ability, bravery and defensive mind to make it. Sure he has things to work on like his creative play from defense but as I have said, he was showing that at VFL level. His recovery skills are first class and I thought he was growing into the role he was set. Was happy with his game last night. He played Hot potato against Melbourne, very little evidence he did that last night, I was looking to see if his composure had improved from his first game and was very pleased to see it had. Again, at VFL level, his poise and composure from defense was a strength, so I have no doubt it will come naturally for him.

Long way to go no doubt for Dea, but considering he is our youngest player and also nearly as new to the game as our Irish lad, his development so far has astounded me.

I am very confident he will make it as a player.

Tigerbob said:
Lower expectations on these kids.

I don't think I expect too much, expecting Dea to confindent and capable of using the ball by foot. Quite clearly, at this stage he doesn't trust his own footskills enough to take the ball and charge forwad. Everything is collect and sideways or backwards by hand. Dea did look slightly more comfortable at the level but until I see some confidence and skill by foot I will not be sold. For far too long we have had players coming out of our backhalf that attack the contest but then fail to be able to launch attacks and be the springboard to attack. Dea, is still a question mark.

Happy to give both another game against the benchmark side of the comp
We need as much tall timber down in the forward line as we can get and Dea could be set to play on someone like Chapman or Steve Johnson, the negating side of his game seems pretty solid

SCOOP said:
Dea is looking like a typical Richmond player of the last generation.

Puts his head over the ball and charges into a contest but looks very uncomfortable with the ball in his hands.

Astbury, young forward, will have ups and downs but looks to have natural football IQ.

We have to keep playing both.

good posting. Dea's kicking is a massive worry IMO.

Needs to play at coburg and back himself with his kicks. playing him in the firsts atm is killing the little confidence he had in his kicking.

we don't want to mould him into a player that only goes in hard and dishes off by hand - he needs to have the confidence in his feet.

Looks like he is thinking about his kicking, which is slowing down his decision making.

No issue for me if he goes back to Coburg for a bit to get some confidence in himself.

Harry said:
good posting. Dea's kicking is a massive worry IMO.

Needs to play at coburg and back himself with his kicks. playing him in the firsts atm is killing the little confidence he had in his kicking.

we don't want to mould him into a player that only goes in hard and dishes off by hand - he needs to have the confidence in his feet.
I disagree, his kicking at VFL was ok, he just needs to adjust to the speed of AFL level and the only way he'll do that is to play more AFL level games.
That being said, I don't mind if they drop him back down to play more game time and apply what he's learnt from the faster pace of senior level at VFL level.

Astbury looks to have ability. Is clearly a boy playing against men & will improve as he puts on some size (albeit not at the cost of speed hopefully). Don't mind the look of Dea - he has playee stuff all football. From what I gather - must be about as inexperienced a player as has ever played at AFL level - bearing in mind he was playing basketball until very recently. I am lamenting the non promotion of Gourdis though. Hope he gets his chance soon.

ZeroGame said:
I disagree, his kicking at VFL was ok, he just needs to adjust to the speed of AFL level and the only way he'll do that is to play more AFL level games.
That being said, I don't mind if they drop him back down to play more game time and apply what he's learnt from the faster pace of senior level at VFL level.

Zero, I cant see how Dea can actually kick wth any penetration or accuracy on the run without falling over. He leans back in delivery and basically 7 irons his kicks. He decelerates and leans backward on delivery.

I remember when we drafted him - he had played three TAC games and had 30 possesions in total which basically constituted his highlight reel. On my viewing a lot of his kicks were chips which failed to hit targets in the clear. I was told our recruiters had done extensive analysis which determined he was an above average kick. Absolute bunkum. He needs to work hard to become an average kick.

I dont mind a speculative pick and Dea does show good strength speed and agility, but he is a speculative pick and he does look like a player who hasn't played the game much. Reminds me very much of an irish type recruit with his frequent misjudging of the ball in flight and the bounce of the ball. A terrier though. Prefer him to Farmer.

yep, let's not lose sight that most picks >40 are speculative in a sense. I'd suggest the club see's a fair amount of upside in him given the progress he has shown in last 18mths...and on Farmer, I'm a tad worried...he sure doesn't look to be a BP...panics under pressure to the point of just collapsing with the ball in his hands when corenered..maybe he needs to be played up the ground some to sample his true ability

lamb22 said:
Zero, I cant see how Dea can actually kick wth any penetration or accuracy on the run without falling over. He leans back in delivery and basically 7 irons his kicks. He decelerates and leans backward on delivery.

Amazing then that I have seen him kick with penetration numerous times at Coburg.

Tigerbob said:
Amazing then that I have seen him kick with penetration numerous times at Coburg.

Is that with or without the beer goggles on?

;D

Seriously though I look forward to the day he does that at Richmond (without falling over).

PS also was he on the run? I just cant see the mechanics working out?

lamb22 said:
Is that with or without the beer goggles on?

;D

Seriously though I look forward to the day he does that at Richmond (without falling over).

PS also was he on the run? I just cant see the mechanics working out?

I don't drink.........anymore ;D

Yes, the times I saw him kick the pill was gathering the ball in a contested situation in the backline and then running out of defence and hitting up a target on the move. Thought for two weeks at Coburg it was one of his strenghts.

BBC said:
Dea was good last night. He plays a little like Newman; hard, competitive and decent kicking skills.
Disagree, on more than one occasion I saw Dea standing next to a Fremantle opponent.