David Parkin canes RFC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Parkin canes RFC

fitchy86 said:
settle down guys. The bloke is just calling it as he sees it. At the moment we are probably without a doubt the worst team in the comp. And consequently its prety inevitable that the bombers kicking efficiency was going to be high against us. People need to stop being so precious. If you guys watched the rest of the segment he then went on the say that we do have a bright future in the likes of cotch, dusty and jack. I hate it as much as anyone when people put down the tiges but i thought tonight at least he was fair in his judgements.

From a person in the media be it Parkin or anyone criticsm is one thing and where the club is at the moment it is to be expected but cheap shots like that are poor and if I wanted to see poorly thought out rubbish comments like that I would just log into BF.

Spanish Prisoner said:
He is allowed to express his opinion, as an individual he has experienced significantly more success than the entire RFC during his time in football...

Actually, since his debut in 1961 he's won 5 premierships as player/coach.

Since 1961, the entire RFC has also won 5 premierships.

This must be some application of "significantly more success" that I'm not aware of...

skybeau said:
Actually, since his debut in 1961 he's won 5 premierships as player/coach.

Since 1961, the entire RFC has also won 5 premierships.

This must be some application of "significantly more success" that I'm not aware of...

Point taken, but since 1980?

I saw the segment and felt David Parkin was being his usual astute self. He remarked about Essendon's efficiency rating and added that it might be out of proportion as it was against a young undersized Richmond Team - adding that we have a bright future if we can build a team around the likes of Cotchin, Delidio and Martin.

There are three ways a conversation occurs

1. The way it was said - in this instance David Parkin was just talking fact and added some opinion on the Tigers future

2. The way it was heard - you believe he said the Richmond team is weak (which is not entirely true in what he said - he said the Bombers were up on efficency but that may have been because it was against a young Tiger outfit - that is not really taking a pot shot at Richmond)

3. The way it wanted to be heard - this mongrel Hawk player and Bluebagger coach just wants to bag the Tigers when he can - that is more your problem as a listener rather than his as a speaker IMO

Stop looking for the arse hole in others and they won't show it to you.

Spanish Prisoner said:
Point taken, but since 1980?

Wow, the RFC been rubbish since 1980. How original.

You know, if you weren't actually a troll, you wouldn't have added that 1980 bit. So why did you put it in?

Spanish Prisoner said:
He is allowed to express his opinion, as an individual he has experienced significantly more success than the entire RFC during his time in football...
Gee, you just get more and more obvious, and your knowledge of all things football has been weighed, measured and found very much wanting.

RemoteTiger said:
I saw the segment and felt David Parkin was being his usual astute self. He remarked about Essendon's efficiency rating and added that it might be out of proportion as it was against a young undersized Richmond Team - adding that we have a bright future if we can build a team around the likes of Cotchin, Delidio and Martin.

???Rewatched the tape and beg to differ.

He said exactly what i quoted when talking in the Bombers game segment and it was not until a later segment when he had to do the richmond side that he mentioned they have a bright future.

RemoteTiger said:
3. The way it wanted to be heard - this mongrel Hawk player and Bluebagger coach just wants to bag the Tigers when he can - that is more your problem as a listener rather than his as a speaker IMO

Don't forget he took Fitzroy to a preliminary final...

RemoteTiger said:

There are three ways a conversation occurs

1. The way it was said - in this instance David Parkin was just talking fact and added some opinion on the Tigers future

2. The way it was heard - you believe he said the Richmond team is weak (which is not entirely true in what he said - he said the Bombers were up on efficency but that may have been because it was against a young Tiger outfit - that is not really taking a pot shot at Richmond)

Stop looking for the arse hole in others and they won't show it to you.

Spot-on RT.

Yep agree with RT as well. I find David Parkin very articulate and I have rarely seen him show bias when he speaks. Parkin was making a valid point and if you concentrate on the primary point of his argument, I dont think too many would disagree.

David Parkin was involved in the coach-selection process when we got Wallace.

Enough said. :(

On the field, we are and have been pathetic for soo long, what do people expect commentators to say?

We are on track to be the first side since the 1960s to go through a season winless.

Some people around here are far too sensitive to criticism of this club. I would have thought we would all be used to it by now.

Once we pull up our socks, they will move onto the next failures. that is the nature of it.

Club culture is probably partly why we chose Wallace. There is no doubt that Wallace was highly credentialled in the eyes of many. Just go back to 2004 and read some of the comments then. I was personally happy that we had finally chosen someone with some experience, rather than first timers like Frawley and Geischen.

The biggest mistake was probably Day 1, thinking that our list just needed topping up to be competitive (look at Brisbane for deja vu right now). From that point forward, Wallace had dug his grave because he had now painted himself in a corner and was on a path to success that was impossible with the cattle at hand and the approach chosen. But that over-valuing of the list is what the club wanted to hear when choosing a coach.

We're now back at square 1, and we now have once again an untried coach, but at least one with much assistant coach experience at a successful club. And the best part of it, after witnessing the Frawley, Geischen and Wallace eras is that we haven't laid any unreasonable expectations on Hardwick.

Personally I think Frawley left Wallace a list with much less growth potential than the list Hardwick now has to work with. The key is continued logical recruiting moving forward. Here's hoping anyway.

blx said:
hes right, we deserve all the jokes and put downs.

when we come good they will rightly change their tune.

its all part and parcel of being the worst team in the comp.

Absolutely spot on.
Parkin is a legend of the game and very well respected throughout the football world.

We haven't won a game yet!

Give me parkin's comments over walls anyday. I confess i started to get annoyed too last night, but he did balance it by talking about a bright future for us. I have no problem with parkin, i think he deliberately doesn't go as hard as he could - i think he considers the fans.

In effect he was bagging the bombers, by saying that their stats last week are meaningless because they were against the worst team in the league. I don't have a problem with bagging them - even if at our expense.

And (for now) we ARE the worst team in the league. But that won't be forever. I can't wait for the resurgence!

se7en said:
David Parkin was involved in the coach-selection process when we got Wallace.

Enough said. :(
The whole coach selection committee in hindsight was a joke. Unless they were privy to our the financial position and its impact on football department they shouldn’t have been involved.

How Richmond’s board could be so derelict to spend all our money on an experienced senior coach at the expense of any full-time recruiting staff is beyond me. Really is staggering. Hope all those involved have been flicked or that Benny flicks ‘em soon.

Elmer said:
The whole coach selection committee in hindsight was a joke. Unless they were privy to our the financial position and its impact on football department they shouldn’t have been involved.

How Richmond’s board could be so derelict to spend all our money on an experienced senior coach at the expense of any full-time recruiting staff is beyond me. Really is staggering. Hope all those involved have been flicked or that Benny flicks ‘em soon.

If any one remember Parkins talked to Sheedy into taking the Richmond job on at the time, but for "whatever reasons" Sheedy didn't want it.

Second time Sheedy turned down the richmond coaching role. (That we know of)
:p

grumpytiger said:
Give me parkin's comments over walls anyday. I confess i started to get annoyed too last night, but he did balance it by talking about a bright future for us. I have no problem with parkin, i think he deliberately doesn't go as hard as he could - i think he considers the fans.

In effect he was bagging the bombers, by saying that their stats last week are meaningless because they were against the worst team in the league. I don't have a problem with bagging them - even if at our expense.

And (for now) we ARE the worst team in the league. But that won't be forever. I can't wait for the resurgence!
Agree he did highlight some good points at RFC but not many, because there aren't many. It was balanced.

Sir said:
No different to what Melbourne was getting a few years ago.

Actually it is. Melbourne and other fans have noted the fact that we are getting a lot more bad press than they got.