Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson, Clarke...how do they do it? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson, Clarke...how do they do it?

Hungry1962

Tiger Cub
Mar 16, 2014
I understand that we are not aware of the inner sanctom trading strategies but Geelong have reacted to missing the 8 with an amazing quartet of trades.....which if were added to our squad would just about make us premiership favourites.

The only news for us is a disgruntled Blues downhill skier and a GWS reject. That puts a fair bit of pressure on our young guys to improve and not a lot of depth as shown by the pathetic performances of our VFL team.

I am scratching my head in confusion. Our window is open and we aren't even cleaning the glass!!

Considering we may have had up to $1 million in the cap and then Foley, Knights, Pettered and Newman retired giving us around anorher million on top of that to spend one may think that we would be a club that would attract good players seeing we have made finals 3 years running.

Just hope something is brewing behind the scenes otherwise next year may be irrelevant.

How did they do it?

they just traded out all their 2015 picks, their first 2016 pick and a kid they drafted just last year.
In three years They will have a hole in their list That you could fly a plane through.

I believe one of their signings is also a disgruntled blue.

Selwood was just a free agent

Hungry1962 said:
That puts a fair bit of pressure on our young guys to improve and not a lot of depth as shown by the pathetic performances of our VFL team.

I'm not following all the gossip about our trade week and am happy to judge when it's over. There are usually very few trades done each year considering the time and effort put into it. I wouldn't have a clue what our powers to be are planning behind the scenes.

It will be interesting to see how much our young players step up next season. We have Deledio Riewoldt Edwards Cotchin Rance and Vickery from the Wallace era. Yet to see if we have any waiting in the wings who will end up with that kind of class. Crossing my fingers and toes the injury gods don't visit our top players or we could struggle.

roywoj said:
I would be more worried about Collingwood. Adams, Crisp, Treloar, Howe and maybe Aish in 2 seasons.

I don't think we have much to worry about as long as Buckley remains their coach.

SkillzThatKillz said:
Considering we may have had up to $1 million in the cap and then Foley, Knights, Pettered and Newman retired giving us around anorher million on top of that to spend one may think that we would be a club that would attract good players seeing we have made finals 3 years running.

Just hope something is brewing behind the scenes otherwise next year may be irrelevant.
We can't have that much cap space, don't you have to spend 95%? Besides why wouldn't we offer Lennon a better deal money wise if we had that much or/and offer Treloer an extra 150k that would have got him over the line. Like someone said before our window is open now! we need to be pro active not asleep at the wheel like we seem to be.

roywoj said:
I would be more worried about Collingwood. Adams, Crisp, Treloar, Howe and maybe Aish in 2 seasons.

Adams can't kick
Crisp their version of Ellis
Treloar good but is he worth 2 1st rounders?
Howe mitch Morton part 2
Greenwood ok

Still will finish 9-14

Hungry1962 said:
I understand that we are not aware of the inner sanctom trading strategies but Geelong have reacted to missing the 8 with an amazing quartet of trades.....which if were added to our squad would just about make us premiership favourites.

Man are these players being overrated with the exception of Danger. As has been noted in other threads they got lucky with Danger in that he only ever wanted to go to Geelong. Likewis Selwood wants to play with his brother and isn't much chop anyway, and neither is Henderson.

Selwood stinks. Has even more surgery booked in. Clark has shown little, and his off field issues make him a precarious proposition.

Henderson and Danger will be handy pick ups.

Bottom half of the 8.

Apart from Padwa, these are 3 risky trades. But because it's Geelong everything is genius.

Cats lost James Kelly, Stevie J and Stokes. Granted they were all getting to the stage of their careers to finish up. On top of this they have lost 2015 first rounder, 2016 first rounder, 2015 second rounder, Dean Gore, Rivers, HMac, even Dawson Simpson.

Tired of hearing how well Cats have done. Danger was pure luck! Scooter had ankle reco #3 2 days ago. Henderson is not good and definitely not a first round pick. Zac Smith... are you serious????? He is rubbish and wasn't good enough to be number 1 ruck at Gold Coast.

Much rather smart trading. There are plenty of great go home options in 2016. Saints will use their first rd pick to get Carlisle. Pies and Cats dont have a first round pick next year. Roos have said they want to use their first round pick this year because after 2016 they are cactus. Hold and go hard next year if our targets are gone in 2015!

How did they do it?

They did it all wrong.

FA Dangerfield, offered a peanuts deal for a player of his quality and had to trade out of this years draft for a guy they could get for free.

Traded out of next years first round for a hot and cold Carlton player. I don't rate the Cats, and think the Blues could end up with a top ten pick after 2016 is finished.

Selwood is an injury prone tagger who wasn't best 22 for the Eagles.

:blah :blahRFC lack of on field success maybe a reason why players (A graders) do not want to play for the club. Three elimination final loses in a row. A Premiership is a long way off, club is not good at developing players, lack of leadership that includes the coach. Dimma will not be our next premiership coach! most likely will not be at the club in 2017! All AFL clubs, except GC & GWS have won at least 2 finals since we last won a final. Hawthorn who had the bum out of their pants in '96 have won 9 flags since we last won a flag. Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood attract the better type of players.

wayne said:
How did they do it?

They did it all wrong.

FA Dangerfield, offered a peanuts deal for a player of his quality and had to trade out of this years draft for a guy they could get for free.

so the cats are the 1st club to trade for a player they could have signed for free as a FA?
and have traded a pick that could be anywhere from 1 to 18 for Henderson?
and want a ruckman who cant get a game at his current club?
and have signed a player that wasnt in the Weagles best 22 at the end of the year?

looks like a brilliant trade period so far for them.

Brodders17 said:
so the cats are the 1st club to trade for a player they could have signed for free as a FA?
and have signed a player that wasnt in the Weagles best 22 at the end of the year?

Very well put

rosy23 said:
I'm not following all the gossip about our trade week and am happy to judge when it's over. There are usually very few trades done each year considering the time and effort put into it. I wouldn't have a clue what our powers to be are planning behind the scenes.

It will be interesting to see how much our young players step up next season. We have Deledio Riewoldt Edwards Cotchin Rance and Vickery from the Wallace era. Yet to see if we have any waiting in the wings who will end up with that kind of class. Crossing my fingers and toes the injury gods don't visit our top players or we could struggle.
Very good points Rosy. And extending on this, a large portion of our list has been built by drafting during the compromised draft era, which will be our core going forward. And as you correctly ask, are there many from this pool whom will eventuate into the same class as Deledio, Riewoldt & co.

Brings me back to the points we were discussing post GF, that this compromised era has made it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for middle and lower sides to close the gap in depth that top sides had already built up prior to this period. Artificially holding the current tops side/s ahead of the pack for longer.

Brodders17 said:

It does indeed, they're playing the game very well.