Competition-Win a copy of "Our Footy-Real Fans vs Big Bucks" | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Competition-Win a copy of "Our Footy-Real Fans vs Big Bucks"

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Cherylbook.jpg

OUR FOOTY: REAL FANS VS BIG BUCKS
By Cheryl Critchley (Wilkinson Publishing, $24.95)

Australian Rules has some of the most dedicated – and crazy – fans in the world. Where else would you find someone who hasn’t missed a game for 47 years, or another who flew around the world for the Grand Final without a ticket?

Our Footy; Real fans vs big bucks celebrates and gives a voice to some of the many diehards who go above and beyond for their beloved clubs. Some do so despite being taken for granted or treated badly by paid officials who don’t appreciate their worth.

Author and Richmond tragic Cheryl Critchley spent years gaining the confidence of these gems, who have told their stories in an honest and revealing look at AFL footy from the grass roots.

Our Footy profiles some amazing characters and looks at “the good old days”, the corporatisation of footy and how it has made the game more comfortable to watch but harder to access for many families and those not flush with cash.​

Competition-Footy fan trivia related to Cheryl's book.

Thanks to Miranda from Wilkinson Publishing, and to Cheryl, we have a copy of the book to give away.

The questions and answers can be discussed on this thread. It will be interesting to read. The first person to e-mail the 10 correct answers to [email protected] will win the copy of Cheryl's new book.

1) When did Richmond Cheer Squad president David Norman take over that role?

2) What do you call the cut up paper (mostly phone books) cheer squads used to throw into the air after each goal?

3) Which Victorian ground can kids still have a kick on after an AFL game?

4) After Di Waddingham lost her beloved Fitzroy in 1996, she decided to barrack for the AFL’s biggest underdogs. Which team was that?

5) Which milestone banner did Kevin Bartlett trip over, thanks to a pole malfunction?

6) What activity which fans used to do to put off opposition goal kickers is now banned at most grounds?

7) Who formalised the Richmond cheer squad in the early 1960s and still helps to run it?

8 ) What happened at the MCG in 1999 while Richmond Cheer Squad members were in the rooms revving up the players before the game?

9) What was temporarily banned after a near riot among opposing fans at a Collingwood-Essendon Victoria Park game in 1972?

10) What could fans do after a game until the 1970s that no AFL grounds allow now?

If you don't know the answers for sure have a guess. We'll work them out through the process of elimination then.

I knew/guessed 1-3-5-7-8 but won't post them because I have the answers here.

For starters surely someone can tell us about KB's milestone banner trip up?

I think the only one I know an answer to is Q5. I'll say it was his 400th.

I'd guess at Q8 and say the scoreboard caught fire.

Think I had better just buy the book :hihi

I listened to Cheryl's interview on SEN but cannot remember much

1) When did Richmond Cheer Squad president David Norman take over that role?
I think she said he hadn't missed a game in ages so i'll say 1981

2) What do you call the cut up paper (mostly phone books) cheer squads used to throw into the air after each goal?
Membership tickets

3) Which Victorian ground can kids still have a kick on after an AFL game?
Kardinia Park (Skilled Stadium)

4) After Di Waddingham lost her beloved Fitzroy in 1996, she decided to barrack for the AFL’s biggest underdogs. Which team was that?
I would've thought that Fitzroy would be the biggest underdog after 1996, too bad University weren't around then ;D umm... did Port come in, in 1997 i'll go Port

5) Which milestone banner did Kevin Bartlett trip over, thanks to a pole malfunction?
I remember her talking bout that one, I think it was the games record banner, don't know what that was at the time though so i'll say in his 400th...time he changed the rules

6) What activity which fans used to do to put off opposition goal kickers is now banned at most grounds?
Spitting, Biting, Throwing dangerous objects, Saying 'Your mum's going out with Squeak' or for Chris Judd making eye contact

7) Who formalised the Richmond cheer squad in the early 1960s and still helps to run it?
That old lady that had a crack at the media after Dimma's first presser as Richmond coach ;D

8 ) What happened at the MCG in 1999 while Richmond Cheer Squad members were in the rooms revving up the players before the game?
They revved up the boys so hard they all passed out and consequently the Cheer Squad had to sub in...nobody was the wiser

9) What was temporarily banned after a near riot among opposing fans at a Collingwood-Essendon Victoria Park game in 1972?
Teeth, unfortunately Collingwood fans didn't realise it was only temporary

10) What could fans do after a game until the 1970s that no AFL grounds allow now?
Burn down the stands after a disappointing loss

You guys may as well, not bother as I've got this one in the bag

davidrodan said:
WHAT! that must mean you have 7 incorrect answers ;D

Actually you were right about KB too, so 2 correct. Any more guesses while you're on a roll?

YinnarTiger said:
Freo was struggling in the mid 90s. She probably went for them.

Spot on Yinnar. That's 4 of the questions answered.

Q6) either the laser light pens or the big pom poms being swayed up and down but hmmm just having a guess.

No to laser lights smasha. The pompoms aren't the answer to Q6 but they are the answer to a different question. (I think pompoms are called floggers?)

Correct with Alice Streaker.

Banging on the advertising hoardings/fence.

Taking your own alcohol to the ground?

Run onto the ground to greet the players (but that finished in the 80's)

rosy23 said:
No to laser lights smasha.  The pompoms aren't the answer to Q6 but they are the answer to a different question. (I think pompoms are called floggers?)

Correct with Alice Streaker.

Didn't floggers get banned after fans set fire to them (Q9)?

Been looking for a copy of this book over the last week but nobody seems to have it.

Tigerdog has Q6 and 10 correct

L2 is correct for Q9

We still need answers (and e-mail of all answers) for questions 1 & 2.

Alice Wills, man, that's a blast from the past. She signed my up as a Cheer Squad member when I was about 12, so back in the 70s.