Commentary | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Commentary

Big Cat Lover said:
They are paid to "entertain" so you will hear things that may be deliberately exaggerated or inflammatory. Simple solution - don't listen.

If you think they should somehow sugarcoat our performances I'm a little surprised.

Sure we are all looking for some positives but the stats are showing we have put in one of the worst starts to a season in AFL/VFL history so lets not go making too much strawberry jam.

i thought they were paid to inform rather than entertain, at least a little of both. i chose the abc cos it wasnt geelongs own krock, nor sen. i listen because there is no other choice to know how we are going.
i certainly was not suggesting they sugarcoat our performance, im not sure how you drew that conclusion, i would just rather they talk facts than talk crap.

I don't blame the commentators for having fun at us etc... because yesterday's game, and our form over the past 25 years have been an absolute disgrace.

I fell asleep watching it, it was that mundane. I actually felt sorry for the commentators who had to stay there and try and make the game even slightly entertaining.

thejinx said:
I don't blame the commentators for having fun at us etc... because yesterday's game, and our form over the past 25 years have been an absolute disgrace.

I fell asleep watching it, it was that mundane. I actually felt sorry for the commentators who had to stay there and try and make the game even slightly entertaining.

Yeap those poor underpaid commentators who have to sit calling a footy match....we weren't the only team this year to get smashed by 100 points. Port got smashed by Geelong down there and they're supposedly years ahead. Yesterday's game was unacceptable but let's not forget the fact that we played a geelong team hell bent on ritualistically cutting us up and feasting on our young skinny carcass. You just had to see before the start of the third quarter when the cats players were grouped together arm in arm that they were wanting pure tiger blood and really all in all the 2nd half was no where near as bad as what it could've been. If the commentators can't stay professional then that's their problem, we know where we're at and what we have to do, in 3-5 years time it could be us destroying the cats like they did to us. The wheel will turn with the correct management and I think after 30 years we finally have that, we'll end up having the last laugh and I can't *smile* wait!

Panthera Tigris said:
Is it just me or did Melbourne and Carlton not cop the same level of bagging in the media when they were going through the same pain in recent seasons.

This is a bugbear of mine. We're in a very similar position to what Melbourne were in for the past two years, but the tone is decidedly more negative, occasionally tending towards nasty, when discussing Richmond. Who knows where the hatred comes from?

I'd prefer this to being pitied though. And yesterday was sheissenhausen.

Big Cat Lover said:
They are paid to "entertain" so you will hear things that may be deliberately exaggerated or inflammatory. Simple solution - don't listen.

The ABC comms aren't paid to entertain.

Dwayne Russel is one of my favorite commentators but he just loves sticking the boots in. He was complaining about an unpaid mark to Geelong when we had to similar marks not paid in the first quarter. I don't mind it when they pump up the winning team but to tell us what we already know about richmond over and over again is a bit low b

Frawley and lynch are always good value, they aren't arrogant and they know what they are talking about. I know frawley was pumping up newman when he had a shot from outside fifty.

Commentating in this country is not a profession as such, infact the only half professional commentator on any channel tv or radio is Tim Lane. He unfortunately is a mad Carlton supporter, but despite that fact he always manages to keep a professional unbiased approach even in the most one sided of games. In fact i would dare to say he loves the game above all else.

Now for the rest of them, to a man all unemployed footballers looking to keep themselves under the spotlight of the AFL and the money that comes with it.It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be factually based, it doesn't have to be even handed and unbiased, it just needs to be headline worthy and topical.

Realistically, how many of these guys would get a job in any other industry.

At best the majority were average players, with average careers and all to a man had there share of being absolutely belted by the mighty tigers.

Unfortunately it is a memory and an experience they can not overcome. Poor Poor Bastards..

Mappa said:
Commentating in this country is not a profession as such, infact the only half professional commentator on any channel tv or radio is Tim Lane. He unfortunately is a mad Carlton supporter, but despite that fact he always manages to keep a professional unbiased approach even in the most one sided of games. In fact i would dare to say he loves the game above all else.

What about Dennis Commetti or Bruuuuce? Both are pretty professional. Huddo is as well. Re Tim Lane's bias, while he was at the ABC it was as you say, but he's definitely showing bias in the 10 commentary.

Mappa said:

Now for the rest of them, to a man all unemployed footballers looking to keep themselves under the spotlight of the AFL and the money that comes with it.It doesn't have to make sense, it doesn't have to be factually based, it doesn't have to be even handed and unbiased, it just needs to be headline worthy and topical.

Realistically, how many of these guys would get a job in any other industry.

At best the majority were average players, with average careers and all to a man had there share of being absolutely belted by the mighty tigers.

Unfortunately it is a memory and an experience they can not overcome. Poor Poor Bastards..
RIP Clinton Grybas

Jones is a loser, he hates Richmond for some reason, must have played for a side that got towelled up by the Tigers at some point in his relatively unimpressive career. Dwayne Russell is a pathetic Dennis Cometti wannabe.

CarnTheTiges said:
Jones is a loser, he hates Richmond for some reason, must have played for a side that got towelled up by the Tigers at some point in his relatively unimpressive career. Dwayne Russell is a pathetic Dennis Cometti wannabe.
Agree 100%.....aussie who ? My favourite saying is "he who is without sin let him cast the first stone"How the heck did Aussie become part of a commentary team anyway.....I dont see his name on the high achievers list and Im sticking with the boys and damien....I KNEW it was going to be a tough year I KNEW it when all the hype was being lauded last year before Caaarlton ....nah Im gonna take my lumps and when the Tigers finally kick ass again it will be sweet believe you me...they will....hang in there guys.....

hellenictiger said:
Dwayne Russel is one of my favorite commentators

Really? He's good a good voice for it but his calling is so contrived, it's sickening.

Peter McKenna for example never had the polish or delivery to get the Match of the Day, but he'd make a game between the bottom two sides watchable because his passion for football was evident in his commentary. These days commentary is too often characterised by personality competitions or cheap sensationalism. Perhaps the game itself is getting boring.

IanG said:
What about Dennis Commetti or Bruuuuce? Both are pretty professional. Huddo is as well. Re Tim Lane's bias, while he was at the ABC it was as you say, but he's definitely showing bias in the 10 commentary.
Gotta laugh a Tim Lane. Refused to go to 9 and commentate with Eddie because of his Collingwood Bias (and Conflict of interest) But he is just as bad as Eddie!! Only difference is he doesn't work for Carlton!!

It's frustrating to listen to the commentators constantly lay the boots in, but what can I say.......we're easy targets at the moment..

I expect plenty of " I new they would come good" comments when we finally do in fact come good!

Panthera Tigris said:
In this world there are bad loosers and bad winners. Often bad winners are worse than bad loosers. I always maintained that due to my hatred of bad winners I would never become this way, but I tell you what the current bagging we are copping......if I live to see this club a power one day, they've driven me to be the most rabid, arrogant, loud mouthed winner they have ever seen >:D!

I've tried to bring my kids up to be good losers and even better winners 'cos I know how much I hate a smart arse winner but I'm with you on this Panthera, if we ever get good again I'm gonna be yelling it from the hilltops for all to hear when we win!!!

Definetly considering watching the game with silence next week. So sick and tired of everyone hating on us.

premiers2010 said:
I've tried to bring my kids up to be good losers and even better winners 'cos I know how much I hate a smart arse winner but I'm with you on this Panthera, if we ever get good again I'm gonna be yelling it from the hilltops for all to hear when we win!!!
Me too. I am so over having to cop it from everyone, even people who don't normally take an interest in the footy are giving me unwanted advice.