Commentary | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Commentary

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
One thing that really got me angry listening to the radio coverage of yesterday's game was the commentary. The fact the commentators make sport out of just laughing and taking the *smile* out of us the whole game. I think it was Aussie Jones who even took it a step further and took personal offence at the way Richmond were playing. Just got really sarcastic and nasty, he thought he was a real commedian ::) I get it, we're crap at present. But can they commentate objectively and professionally for once, just gets a bit tired after a while.

Is it just me or did Melbourne and Carlton not cop the same level of bagging in the media when they were going through the same pain in recent seasons. Speaking to work colleagues this morning who are non-tigers people that heard the call and they agreed. Even a Melbourne bloke said he doesn't recall the Dees copping what we are in the media.

In this world there are bad loosers and bad winners. Often bad winners are worse than bad loosers. I always maintained that due to my hatred of bad winners I would never become this way, but I tell you what the current bagging we are copping......if I live to see this club a power one day, they've driven me to be the most rabid, arrogant, loud mouthed winner they have ever seen >:D!

I normally prefer to listen to the ABC broadcast. They don't sensationalise the mundane as often, and are more accurate calling the play. However I had to turn the ABC off yesterday. Their disinterest and the contemptuous way they talked about the Tigers was too much.

I turned it over to SEN and, apart from that little guy with the big head whose name escapes me, were pretty listenable.

We've been crap for 30years. We are a joke.

Respect needs to be earned and until Beavis turns us around we'll be laughed at.

Huh ? another panthera tigris ?

Commentators without any remarkable speaking talent or football insight will generally resort to the cheap shot and sarcasm. It's great they do it because it's pegs them out and it is as good as them calling out 'hey look at me I am insecure in my ability here'. Richmond of course is an easy easy target - we don't really have much of a comeback - 'hey you shut up we won a grand final in 1980 - so there'.

Panthera Tigris said:
One thing that really got me angry listening to the radio coverage of yesterday's game was the commentary. The fact the commentators make sport out of just laughing and taking the p!ss out of us the whole game. I think it was Aussie Jones who even took it a step further and took personal offence at the way Richmond were playing. Just got really sarcastic and nasty, he thought he was a real commedian ::) I get it, we're crap at present. But can they commentate objectively and professionally for once, just gets a bit tired after a while.

Aussie Jones is an *smile*, the ABC is dragged down by him. Was Maclure commentating? He hated Wallace and thus hated us when Wallace was coach but has he moderated his stance?

Baloo said:
We've been crap for 30years. We are a joke.

Respect needs to be earned and until Beavis turns us around we'll be laughed at.

Like Panthera said other clubs didn't cop it in the past. What some in the media do is more than just a lack of respect. What about young players like Astbury etc. do they deserve to be laughed at merely because Richmond chose them? For those who look closely Hardwick appears to be doing the right thing, does he deserve to be laughed at?

Tiger_4_Life said:
Duaaaaaaaane Russel was pathetic on fox yesterday too, unprofessional and taking the pi$$.
He always has regardless of how we are travelling. Remember back when he was on K Rock his favorite phrase was "Toothless Tigers!" Somone must have belted him when he played against us or something!

The media hate us and that is that.

They would love another "save our skins " scenario.

Then if we died,all the media would be so happy.

We as a nation used to stick up for the underdog.

Now look at us and the immature media.

The media hate us more than Hitler hated the Jews.

I thought Lynch & Frawley (fox sports) considering how poor we are were at least finding some positives & not just putting us down.But it's a competitive world & some are calling it as they see it

French Tiger said:
I thought Lynch & Frawley (fox sports) considering how poor we are were at least finding some positives & not just putting us down.But it's a competitive world & some are calling it as they see it
Agree

No need to get upset what Jones says. He is no brain surgeon and was a gutless wonder when he played and is the same now.

it is a bit annoying when commentators talk crap. one of them on the abc reckoned the bush team he coached would beat us. what utter rubbish, its as stupid as those on here who claim a vfl side would smash us. either shows a complete lack of football knowledge, or a need to boost ones ego by making big, but unprovable statements. either way, stupid.

Brodders17 said:
it is a bit annoying when commentators talk crap. one of them on the abc reckoned the bush team he coached would beat us. what utter rubbish, its as stupid as those on here who claim a vfl side would smash us. either shows a complete lack of football knowledge, or a need to boost ones ego by making big, but unprovable statements. either way, stupid.

They are paid to "entertain" so you will hear things that may be deliberately exaggerated or inflammatory. Simple solution - don't listen.

If you think they should somehow sugarcoat our performances I'm a little surprised.

Sure we are all looking for some positives but the stats are showing we have put in one of the worst starts to a season in AFL/VFL history so lets not go making too much strawberry jam.

The one thing I had to laugh at was one of the commentators on fox yesterday saying we need to get a few mature age recruits like the Pods or like Sydney & Brisbane have done. So instead of being 0-6 we may have been 1-5 (& that's being generous) & then we would have been bagged for not biting the bullet & building from the draft..... can't win with some of these bozos. For the record I'm all for building with kids through the draft... unless for free through the PSD.