Coburg Best Players | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coburg Best Players

Tiger Crikey

Tiger Cub
May 22, 2009
North-East Vic.
Watching the whole match on TV today 3 players are worthy of a place in AFL next week

Morton, Post
and Polo

King played well and could get a shot next week. Goudis played consisnently

Browne was much improved.

Definately Roberts and McMahon no way

Hmm!

King's kicking is still a worry.

I'd like Polo as a defensive forward flanker, with the freedom to kick goals.

Morton has to be in a FP, close to goal.

Post looked good and just needs time to develop into AFL.

Browne looked good too and I look forward to his next opportunity in yellow & black. He'll make it.

ZeroGame said:
Connors deserves a mention too, Polo won the BOG medal, but Connors was great down back.

The brains trust should be telling Polo it's the Anzac weekend every time he plays as i think he won the medal a few yrs back playing on Buddy.Connors though should have got it imo.

Very much enjoyed watching todays game. Most obvious to me is the talent we have on our list in Connors and Polo. It was clear they are a class above this level and should be regular senior players. For mine you could do a lot worse than having these to play as permanent half back flankers in the firsts. Both can be creative have the skill and provided they can be hard at it all the time and get their heads right they could help our club to many future wins.

Good game from polo and conners,
but what i got out of the game if theres any chance of us chasing beau dowler or beau munston at the end year, wouldnt be bad both of them playing in our forward line.
overall good game, improved performances by brown and coudis,
great mark gus, just another 5 of those per game...

Tiger Crikey said:
Watching the whole match on TV today 3 players are worthy of a place in AFL next week

Morton, Post
and Polo

King played well and could get a shot next week. Goudis played consisnently

Browne was much improved.

Definately Roberts and McMahon no way

Connors clearly BOG. Polo's opponent, did you notice him?

Gourdis again impressed.

BARS said:
Very much enjoyed watching todays game. Most obvious to me is the talent we have on our list in Connors and Polo. It was clear they are a class above this level and should be regular senior players. For mine you could do a lot worse than having these to play as permanent half back flankers in the firsts. Both can be creative have the skill and provided they can be hard at it all the time and get their heads right they could help our club to many future wins.

Agree BARS, both should be in the senior team. Connors in defence but I think Polo should be across half forward. He still seems to get a bit flustered in the last line of defence and is better further up the ground. Connors is so close to putting his stamp on the game, we can all smell it. He needs to just keep working hard, get back into the seniors when he has done his time and with current form is going to be an absolute gun. Has the confidence to be anything.

Thought Graham was good today. That pack mark in the last quarter was worthy of a recall to the seniors. Haven't seen Simmo get up like that for 3 years.

Not sure why Morton was dropped (must of gone against team rules last week). Should be back in next week.

Special mention to King, 4 goals last week and 3 this week. Thank God he is not butchering the ball in defence but he seems to know where the goals are. That goal on his left foot from 45 was a cracker. Nahas needs to pull his finger out this week.

Webberly looks like he will be a player but on today I think he is not ready. Gets the ball and reads the play well but disposal was all over the shop. Yes it was blowing a gale but still didn't come close to a Coburg play in 3 or 4 inside 50s I saw. But hey, how much like Hardwick does this kid look. Could be his love child. Will play this year though.

Post, good game and good run out of defence. Will do his confidence wonders. There is certainly something to be said for giving a player a run in the twos to find some touch.

And BARs check out Amber and Hailey. Der.

Connors easily bog - great game. 6 more games like this at coburg and then straight back into the firsts. class above anyone on the park.

polo, webberly, post, gourdis and morton were good.

contin was neat when he got the ball but didn't get it enough. needs to get used to the increased pace. leave him in the coburg firsts.

orielly didn't do much and roberts is nowhere near fit enough. touched it twice i think.

graham was ok. browne less so.

Great result for the boys they really fought the game right out in that last qtr.
Connors BOG for mine, did a power of work constantly setting up trying to ram the boys home. Just gotta give the *smile* away and concentrate on being a quality AFL player.
Thought for a while that no one was going to have the agates to slot that goal and seal the game for us, guess we've gotta be glad that a few seniors were doing some time at Coburg.
Stumpy went o.k but would still leave him work his way into some confidence at Coburg for a few weeks, grabbed a few marks and found some options to share the ball with but VFL leaves you a little bit more time than AFL to find your targets.

Harry said:
Connors easily bog - great game. 6 more games like this at coburg and then straight back into the firsts. class above anyone on the park.

Good to see that Connors hasn't dropped his head.

The whole group was pretty terrible in the first qtr.

Seemed that Morton was moved to FF at qtr time and improved out of sight. Dunno about players that have to be picked in a certain spot to perform. Hope it's not that type of attitude.
Ruckmen are still jumping early and worrying about their opponent more than the ball. In a lot of contests they spent so much time wrestling they didn't touch the ball at stoppages.
Young rucks should be just told to get after the ball ala NicNat. Couldn't believe they both kept wrestling, giving away frees and coming from the upwind side.
Thought Browne was much better than Graham but his mark was a beauty at the critical time and thus it was enough to make Graham the better player.
Polo was great at stoppages and terrible at HBF. Breust, his opponent at HBF, was Box Hills best player. Think Connors also spent time on Breust.
Gourdis was very very good in the last line and unlike Post showed desperation all the time, not part time. Gourdis also showed good judgement, marking/spoiling skills and good disposal.
O'Reilly was OK as was Webberley.

As per my first line the group was better for the final three qtrs. Note that I use the term group because they certainly are not a team. With very few exceptions, the players were prepared to play the ball in their area and not worry too much about anyone else. Not much interest in any work that did not result in a possession to themselves.

Connors is definatley a keeper and has loads of talent. I have always like polo because he is a genuine hard nut with talent we just need to find his position and with a bit of confidence can be a really handy player for us. I wish angus Graham would pull his finger out he is a monster of a bloke and would be an excellent back up ruckman.

Connors was the best with Morton, Polo, King contributing aswell.

Polo is not a HBF. Just butchers the ball evertime he tries to bring it out of the D50. Needs to play midfield where he can use his smarts and less so kicking.

IrockZ said:
Connors was the best with Morton, Polo, King contributing aswell.

Polo is not a HBF. Just butchers the ball evertime he tries to bring it out of the D50. Needs to play midfield where he can use his smarts and less so kicking.

Yep agree.

He has really good hands in close. Whether he has the physical attributes to consistantly play midfield at AFL level is another matter.

My summary of some players performances-

Connors - his superior fitness showed, some beautfully timed runs to receive off HBF. His kicking for goal was poor but he really stood out as too good for this level.

Morton - also showed he is a class above. Whether he can make it as a permanent HFF at AFL is another matter. Meeds to improve his fitness to get some time through the middle.

Bit surprised at the praise of Webberly. He butchered it a number of times and went to ground too easily. Miles off AFL. McMahon would have better body strength.

Polo was pretty ordinary at HBF but improved when he went to the middle. He lacks leg speed but was very good in close. His go may be as a run with tagger in the Rawlings/Ling mould (wishful thinking !). Definitely will never make it as a HBF and will have to get past Jackson as the number 1 tagger. Personally would prefer Polo to Jackson (and White/Hislop/Tambling for that matter)

Kahdiefelt knows how to get it but some of his decision making was terrible - will be interested in his progress.

Roberts - jeez he is fat. Good speed but unable to get to enough contests. And he refused to physically compete for 50/50 ground balls a couple of times. Needs to train hard and start getting more involved at Coburg before he should be considered for AFL. Should not be gifted another game. I'm a fan from his highlights reel but he is a fair way off.

Tough day for all players but very impressed at the spirit showed. An odd game in that more goals kicked into what was initially a 4-5 goals breeze.

If Connors comes back into Richmond after his suspension would he play well enough for us to get a first round pick for him come trade week?