Changing from Coburg to Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changing from Coburg to Richmond

thejinx said:
You make a very good point. I've always hated this VFL/AFL reserves setup. Our reserves should get game time against other AFL reserves, and play the same style as our senior side. They should also play in the positions WE want them to, and play as much minutes as WE want. Not the other way around. No offence, but who gives a rats about Coburg as a football club?

+1. i grew up a williamstown supporter and i hated coburg passionately after they beat us in 2 grand finals in the late 80's.

oh yeah, and it does make sense to have a stand alone team... no doubt it would benefit the RFC greatly. would be great to see the craigieburn tigers play in the VFL next season.

mld said:
For other reasons, obviously. Pride in having a stand-alone reserves side, not having to deal with / massage egos of VFL sides (and most sides don't have as smooth a relationship as we have with Coburg).

coburg was gonna die before we aligned with them, so we dominate the relationship. other afl teams don't own their VFL affiliates. it's more of a 50/50 partnership. so we do have a slight edge there.

My issue is about players developing by training together as a team/club.
Does the whole Richmond list train together or not?

Collingwood and others who stand alone, would train together 'in house', which would be a huge advantage.

The tooth said:
Frankston vs. Coburg Tigers (Reserve Grade)
Sunday 18th April
Frankston Oval at 11:00 AM

Coburg Tigers

B Rayson Fahey Morris
HB McErlain Bisetto O'Rielly
C Measures Duhau McMahon
HF Roberts A. Meroli Grimes
F Warren Lawton Hicks
R Dahl Contin Lucin

Int Saville Sardo El Houli
Pope Kandilakis Ezard
Jordon Griffiths Groves
Cattapan Westhoff M. Ambrose

That post does not support your claim. As I pointed out, the 12-10 rule would apply to a Richmond VFL side just as it does to a Coburg VFL side, so you would see the same thing when a Richmond VFL team played Frankston or Port Melbourne.

At the moment i believe nearly all vfl teams run at a loss and rely on handouts from the AFL. For Richmond to take on another project that, at present, isn't viable would be wrong financially for the Club. Until the VFL can become viable and at the very least break even then we shouldn't consider taking this route

Richmond aleady have a big enough debt. They don't need to add to it.

If that money is spent on development coaches, i think it would balance the onfield education of players overall especially with all the young players.

In the end the players need to learn different playing styles anyway and be able to take on different roles which they can through Coburg as it stands. The coach, David Newitt works alongside Hardwick so there is a lot of input in that regard.

Either way - we've got to get away from those almost-Essendon jumpers. It confuses the little ones. :headscratch

Imagine going to Punt Road Oval to watch the Richmond tigers reserves team, then stroll over to the G to see the Seniors :hihi

mld said:
That post does not support your claim. As I pointed out, the 12-10 rule would apply to a Richmond VFL side just as it does to a Coburg VFL side, so you would see the same thing when a Richmond VFL team played Frankston or Port Melbourne.
My point is simple - all Richmond listed and rookied players not selected in the seniors should play in a single team, always.

Anything other than that is suboptimal in terms of development of players and gameplan.

The tooth said:
My point is simple - all Richmond listed and rookied players not selected in the seniors should play in a single team, always.

Anything other than that is suboptimal in terms of development of players and gameplan.

Then you will have to change the rules of the VFL, because a Richmond VFL side would be bound by the same rules as every other VFL side with AFL-listed players is.

I don't think it matters much at all. The Eagles and Port have won flags this decade and they have their players scattered all over the place in the WAFL and SANFL.

shamekha said:
At the moment i believe nearly all vfl teams run at a loss and rely on handouts from the AFL. For Richmond to take on another project that, at present, isn't viable would be wrong financially for the Club. Until the VFL can become viable and at the very least break even then we shouldn't consider taking this route

Richmond aleady have a big enough debt. They don't need to add to it.

If that money is spent on development coaches, i think it would balance the onfield education of players overall especially with all the young players.

In the end the players need to learn different playing styles anyway and be able to take on different roles which they can through Coburg as it stands. The coach, David Newitt works alongside Hardwick so there is a lot of input in that regard.

last I heard (via the media) was a stand alone VFL costs around an extra $500-800k a year. Thats 2-3 development coaches, recruiters, list analysts or the like.

Heard on the radio that some teams may be forced to go alone to better nurture their own lists especially with GC and WS comming into the comp.

Would love to rock up to punt road and catch the last half of a few Richmond ressie games.

I think the 800k extra ( 2010 cost of McMahon and Tuck alone) to gain full control of our list is worth it !! $800K is 2 decent players salary!

Bring back the ressies Richmond .... We owe the Burgers nothing!!!

:clap

Tiger Pops said:
Heard on the radio that some teams may be forced to go alone to better nurture their own lists especially with GC and WS comming into the comp.

Would love to rock up to punt road and catch the last half of a few Richmond ressie games.

I think the 800k extra ( 2010 cost of McMahon and Tuck alone) to gain full control of our list is worth it !! $800K is 2 decent players salary!

Bring back the ressies Richmond .... We owe the Burgers nothing!!!

:clap

It isn't about owing Coburg anything; we don't. As Tiger74 points out, $800k isn't to be sneezed at, it is the difference between having the extra couple of scouts that discover the Nasons, Webberleys etc for us. Short term feel good versus doing what it takes to get us better, I know what I'll take every time.

mld said:
This is a strong claim, given that Richmond staff dominate football positions at Coburg. Can you provide evidence for this claim?

Who are the Richmond staff that dominate football positions at Coburg?

tigertim said:
Who are the Richmond staff that dominate football positions at Coburg?

David Newitt coaches at Coburg and is a Richmond development coach

it would be a good idea to have a stand alone team, but $$$ wise our present debt is and has been a big issue. We need to attack and eliminate this approx 4 million a.s.a.p not add to it.

shamekha said:
David Newitt coaches at Coburg and is a Richmond development coach
Fair enough, if that defines domination then.