Changing from Coburg to Richmond | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changing from Coburg to Richmond

CK

Tiger Rookie
Apr 3, 2009
Looking at the Coburg line-ups last weekend, it seems that we have quite a few players in the Coburg ressies when in fact a few of them have enough form to play in the seniors (eg Contin, Hicks, Westhoff). This seems to be due to the limit of RFC listed players that are permitted to play in the one side (I believe it's 12 off the top of my head).

Although I know it is more expensive to play a stand alone side (ala Collingwood) in the VFL, surely it would be of benefit for our players development to play in the 1 side. Also not sure if the Coburg sides are being taught Hardwicks game plan (although stand to be corrected by someone that does know).

Anyone know if this has been discussed at club level?

I would be all for this, they should really look at it IMO. Has so many advantages to it it's not funny, only downside is the cost obviously.

Cost is a primary issue I believe. I would be all for having our own team but not at the expense of cutting costs in other important areas.

You make a very good point. I've always hated this VFL/AFL reserves setup. Our reserves should get game time against other AFL reserves, and play the same style as our senior side. They should also play in the positions WE want them to, and play as much minutes as WE want. Not the other way around. No offence, but who gives a rats about Coburg as a football club?

I did hear somewhere that a few influencial people in footy circles are asking for a return to the AFL reserves comp, particularly reserve games before the seniors.

Ahhh those were the days. I believe from memory they took this away simply because AFL clubs couldn't afford it?

I wonder if it's possible to bring these back...

I'm pretty sure Collingwood and Geelong are still restricted to the 12 AFL players rule. Regardless, the rule only applies when playing Frankston or Port Melbourne.

mld said:
I'm pretty sure Collingwood and Geelong are still restricted to the 12 AFL players rule. Regardless, the rule only applies when playing Frankston or Port Melbourne.

I'm not too sure but here's Collingwood's VFL team vs Melbourne's VFL affiliate Casey last week.

B: Reed, N.Brown, Rounds
HB: Buckley, Reid, Goldsack
C: Blight, O'Bree, Barham
HF: Hunter, Dawes, Corrie
F: Blair, Rusling, Anthony
Foll: Wood, Cook, McCarthy

Int: (from): Carter, Sundeberg, Young, Liston, McNamara, Rinaldi, Colbert, Frost.

Nearly every single player named is on the Collingwood Senior List or Rookie List. Certainly a lot more than 12 there.

Barnzy said:
I'm not too sure but here's Collingwood's VFL team vs Melbourne's affiliate Casey last week.

B: Reed, N.Brown, Rounds
HB: Buckley, Reid, Goldsack
C: Blight, O'Bree, Barham
HF: Hunter, Dawes, Corrie
F: Blair, Rusling, Anthony
Foll: Wood, Cook, McCarthy

Int: (from): Carter, Sundeberg, Young, Liston, McNamara, Rinaldi, Colbert, Frost.

Nearly every single player named is on the Collingwood Senior List or Rookie List. Certainly a lot more than 12 there.

As I said, the rule only applies when playing Frankston or Port Melbourne.

mld said:
As I said, the rule only applies when playing Frankston or Port Melbourne.

Oh right, misread what you said.

Certainly would be good to have our own team. Must be pretty costly though.

i ve often thought of this.
Must have been way to expensive in the past,and with us losing the Royal Oak lease
may be to much for us right now?
Sounds like the Coburg coaches play them to their advantage to win games
and not for whats best for Richmond.

Barnzy said:
Certainly would be good to have our own team. Must be pretty costly though.

I agree with this, and I hope it happens in the long term. More pressing financial concerns at the moment though.

marsinvenus said:
Sounds like the Coburg coaches play them to their advantage to win games
and not for whats best for Richmond.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case, given our development coach is installed as the Coburg coach.

mld said:

Then why bother with the increased expense?

CK said:
Although I know it is more expensive to play a stand alone side (ala Collingwood) in the VFL, surely it would be of benefit for our players development to play in the 1 side. Also not sure if the Coburg sides are being taught Hardwicks game plan (although stand to be corrected by someone that does know).

there was a quote in an article suggesting both coburg sides were following the hardwick 'game plan' not sure where i read that, it may have come from the coburg coach?

CK said:

For other reasons, obviously. Pride in having a stand-alone reserves side, not having to deal with / massage egos of VFL sides (and most sides don't have as smooth a relationship as we have with Coburg).

CK said:
Exactly - we get Coburg to play our game style, our players play where Richmond want them to at Coburg , get limited time if they are coming back from injury and we can fill the side with Richmond listed players except against Frangaston and Pork Melbourne with less expense.

Good situation for us.

Wish the ressies would come back before the main games too.

bringbakflemmo said:
Exactly - we get Coburg to play our game style, our players play where Richmond want them to at Coburg , get limited time if they are coming back from injury and we can fill the side with Richmond listed players except against Frangaston and Pork Melbourne with less expense.

Good situation for us.

Wish the ressies would come back before the main games too.

I was under the impression that with the GC and GWS teams coming in that the current VFL setup is definitely close to its expiry date. The AFL are worried that the QAFL and AFL NSW were of a poorer quality so they're aiming to bring back the AFL reserves in some capacity, whether its just an east coast setup or whatever?

The restrictions that the Coburg marriage places on our development of young talent is prohibitive. We should get out of this arrangement as soon as possible, or at least lobby to be able to play more of our list in the Coburg seniors.

The costs of running your reserves cannot be that significant that it is a burden we simply must share. I can't believe our financial situation is so dire that we need to go halves in cost with a dinky suburban club.

The VFL is not the VFA, it is actually the Reserves for the AFL and we need to rid ourselves of this anchor on youth and gameplan development now

The tooth said:
The restrictions that the Coburg marriage places on our development of young talent is prohibitive.

This is a strong claim, given that Richmond staff dominate football positions at Coburg. Can you provide evidence for this claim?

Frankston vs. Coburg Tigers (Reserve Grade)
Sunday 18th April
Frankston Oval at 11:00 AM

Coburg Tigers

B Rayson Fahey Morris
HB McErlain Bisetto O'Rielly
C Measures Duhau McMahon
HF Roberts A. Meroli Grimes
F Warren Lawton Hicks
R Dahl Contin Lucin

Int Saville Sardo El Houli
Pope Kandilakis Ezard
Jordon Griffiths Groves