Campbell may take 'back' seat | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbell may take 'back' seat

How to create an argument in one easy step (volume two)

Step 1: Post any of Wayne Campbell's comments

Now watch the fur fly

:rollin

I'm not sure I want to get involved in this one. Maybe later.

LOL, it always makes me laugh when people talk of Wayne Campbell's poor disposals. This guy has probably had the least clangers out of anyone at the club. And i'm not even talking percentages per disposal, i'm talking totals. and now considering he gets twice as many disposals as anyone else at this club, it definitely makes a statement about the intelligence of our supporters, who regularly orgasm when a doofus like matthew richardson pulls off one of the most uncordinated plays in the history of the game.

Your a breathe of fresh air John. Keep up the good work. We need more people like you on this board.

;)

Campbell might not be the best captain in the league, he might not be the best midfielder or half back for that matter.

But, for the last 10 years he has easily been our best and most consistent player. The fact that he has been seen to struggle in the big games (i personally think he's done ok), is the fact that he has been the only player in our midfield who really needs to be tagged and has therefore been double and triple teamed through the game.

Going back to half back will allow him to create run, set up attack and use his experience to guide some of the younger guys. His kicking might look a bit awkward, and he does throw it on the boot quickly out of the middle, but he hits the target more regularly than most players in our team.

Get off Cambo's back and just let him play footy. It's what he does best.

Get off Cambo's back and just let him play footy. It's what he does best.

Maybe we should try that approach with all of our players DF. :mad:
You know who I mean too, ha. ;D
Discussion of players is fine by me, outright bagging isn't.

I started writing another defence of Campo and rebuttal of Diggler's dismissal of Campos performance but as I wrote it it became clearer and clearer that , Oh my god, Diggler was probably right.

I suppose it comes down to a definition of "excelled". Personally, I rate that as being in the top 10 to 12 midfielders in the comp and, while he's very good, I wouldnt put Campo in that league.

Honestly, over the past couple of years would you select Campo in front of Black, Voss, Ackermanis, Riccoutto, MacLeod, Bickley, R Harvey, Buckley, Bradley, West, P Kelly, Cousins, Kemp, Crawford, Woewodin, .......

I dont think so.

Having said that, he has certainly been the best at the tiges for most of that time and has had to do a lot with little support so perhaps he could have been better in another team.

In my opinion, these are the best 15 midfielders in the comp over the last ten years.

Peter Matera
Robert Harvey
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Paul Kelly
Scott West
Brett Ratten
Andrew McLeod
Greg Williams
Wayne Campbell
Adrian Fletcher
Craig Bradley
Darren Jarman
Matthew Knights
Anthony Stevens

Of the current bunch, i think Wayne is better than Jason Johnson, Ratten, Bell, Lappin, Crawford, Woewodin, Ricciuto, Stevens, Yze, Cousins, West, Goodwin, Brent Harvey and Nathan Brown. And I could even argue the likes of Akermanis if we are talking consistency. I rate him just behind the likes of Buckley, Voss, Black, Harvey, McCleod and Francou.

Posted by: Dean3 Posted on: Today at 3:31pm
If you rate Adrian Fletcher in your top 15 of the past decade, then you've got problems.

I could have added Nathan Burke, Darryn Creswell or Tony McGuiness. But what was wrong with Adrian Fletcher? if you can't see he has up there amongst the best, you have a problem Dean, its called ignorance.

Posted by: froars Posted on: Today at 3:13pm
You're deluded.

About what exactly?

How many clubs dumped Fletcher? 3, 4? You don't let "top 15" players go that easily.
Even mentioning blokes like McLeod, Voss, Kelly and even Burke in the same breath as Adrian Fletcher is very very surprising. As far as ignorance goes, I'm not sure who is displaying that right at the moment. I'm happy to let others decide.

So are you going to leave out Greg Williams too? He was "dumped" by a couple of teams too, Geelong, Carlton, Sydney and went on to be in the AFL team of the century. Fletcher went to many clubs yes, but in his prime he played for Brisbane and Fremantle and was amongst the leading ball winners in the comp for many years and was probably one of the best handballers seen in a while. The only ignorance i feel is in leaving Gary Hocking out of the best 15, he shoould be in there for sure.

In my opinion, these are the best 15 midfielders in the comp over the last ten years.

Peter Matera
Robert Harvey
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Paul Kelly
Scott West
Brett Ratten
Andrew McLeod
Greg Williams
Wayne Campbell
Adrian Fletcher
Craig Bradley
Darren Jarman
Matthew Knights
Anthony Stevens

Of the current bunch, i think Wayne is better than Jason Johnson, Ratten, Bell, Lappin, Crawford, Woewodin, Ricciuto, Stevens, Yze, Cousins, West, Goodwin, Brent Harvey and Nathan Brown. And I could even argue the likes of Akermanis if we are talking consistency. I rate him just behind the likes of Buckley, Voss, Black, Harvey, McCleod and Francou.

Fletcher had good hands but was too slow for AFL footy. That's why he ended up at 4 different clubs.

Comparing Campo with Jason Johnson, Riccuito, ...tank-built inside ballwinners is like comparing apples with oranges. Totally different types of players.

Campo's definitely better than Woewodin, West,Yze. Slighty better than Brown (although Brown is offensively more damaging), Crawford. On par with the others. Behind Voss, McCleod. Hard to judge these things as some of the above have talented teammates in the middle to share duties whereas Campo for most of the time has not. Hopefully we'll see that change this year beginning tonight .

Interestingly, remember seeing somewhere he statistically measueres up quite well against buckley.

Re: Campbell may take 'back' seat.

Comparing Campbo with Ricciuto, J Johnson is, I agree, pointless. But leaving loyalties aside for a moment, I would swap Campbo for either of those blokes in a heartbeat. But that only goes to show what kind of player I prefer, nothing else.
I know that every team needs the outside midfielders, like Wayne. My problem with Campbell is that he has never had great disposal. He has been our most prolific ball winner for 10 years, but has rarely been truly damaging with his disposal. For the first few years he had the most annoying habit of kicking it further up than long. Thankfully those days are gone. I think it is a great move to run him off half back where he can pick a target and deliver it - that suits him more than the ruff n tumble of the midfield. And don't get me started on the captaincy.

Fletcher was another of those ball magnets who just didn't quite have the class to consistently finish the good work. As you say MT, he was slow, very one-sided and was not a great goal-kicker. A good player for a few years, but nowhere near the elite class IMO.

Interestingly, remember seeing somewhere he statistically measueres up quite well against buckley.

Thats my que!

Since 94'

Buckley
Games - 184
Disposals - 4675
Goals - 181
Clearances - 543
Clangers - 230*

Campbell
Games - 194
Disposals - 4667
Goals - 118
Clearances - 569
Clangers - 149*

*clangers only since 98'

Even I the self appointed Wayne Campbell defender cannot justify putting him ahead of some (ok alot) of the midfielders mentioned in previous posts but that doesn't make him any less a player. He is clearly richmonds best performed and most consistent player of the last decade, deserves every one of his b&f's and should be given more respect from a significant majority of supporters.

Buckley
Games - 184
Goals - 181

Campbell
Games - 194
Goals - 118

IMHO This is why he isn't rated by so called experts and supporters as highly as he could be. He doesn't kick too many goals as compared to other midfielders in the comp and so isn't considered as damaging. This is most likely due to us before this year having a woeful midfield that doesn't allow players upfield to push forward to kick goals and expects Richo and Otto to be the main contributors but nevertheless it reflects on how others perceive Campo.

I also feel that his lack of goal kicking prowess has made many fans/experts ignore him as one of the best midfielders. Maybe this is a result of Wayne getting tentative just outside the 50 metre line and opting for passes or just popping it up too often for a mark to be taken in the square. However i think it is more accurate to say that it is as a direct result from Campbell never getting to play his free running game often enough because he is the only one worth tagging at Richmond and that moreover he has had no one to dish out the ball to him, ala Greg Williams/Gerard Healy, Ratten/Camporeale. Anotehr reason is that the whole tiger team, who with the exception of a few players couldn't hit a target with a grenade. So when Campbell takes a rest in the forward line his time is wasted because no body can honour his leads or succesfully get the ball in the tiger forward line consistently. Others midfielders who kick plenty of goals, often don't have to deal with such ineptitude.