Campbell may take 'back' seat | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Campbell may take 'back' seat

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Howard Kotton
afl.com.au
4:06:25 PM Mon
13 January, 2003

Richmond captain Wayne Campbell may not spend so much time in the Tigers’ midfield this season. Campbell played several games towards the end of last year off half-back and the Tigers’ midfield options have been bolstered by the off-season recruitment of experienced pair Kane Johnson and Justin Blumfield.

Campbell admits the midfield has been a weakness for several years, but Johnson and Blumfield are premiership players and key additions in this area.

“With some new midfielders and some younger guys showing more capabilities in there, I’m happy to play half-back, half-forward or back pocket, depending on where they need me,” the veteran told afl.com.au

But Campbell said while he enjoyed playing in defence, he preferred the midfield, where he has excelled for many years. “There’s a bit more pressure in there,” the skipper said.

Campbell said the Tigers had more options, with Greg Tivendale, Mark Chaffey and Mark Coughlan able to be rotated through the midfield. Another recruit, Tim Fleming from Carlton, could prove valuable in this area.

Campbell, 30, is on the Tigers’ veterans list for the first time this season and coach Danny Frawley has him on a modified program during the pre-season.

He ran laps with Duncan Kellaway in the heat at Sandringham, then completed the sprints with the rest of the group before going for a well-earned dip in Port Phillip Bay.

“I think it’s just a different program to what the younger guys do,” Campbell said. “I’ve still done all the extra stuff, the swimming, boxing and weights. I’m just holding it back for a little while and hopefully next week will get back into full training.”

Mr Kotton has obviously not seen many Tiger games and Cambo. Excelled in the midfield. You have to be joking! ;D

Diggler

You have the brain capacity of a chimp.

Over the past couple of years, Campbell has been the one shining light in a team full of power shortages.

He is the only player at Richmond that stands up week in week out, whether we are losing or whether we are winning.

What is the fascination with the backline guys ???

Campbell to the back half, hell back pocket if need be.

Rory wants to go back there as well. Matty Rogers will probably spend some time there too. And let's not forget Fiora, Tivendale, and the rest.

I am getting a mental picture of our entire midfield all standing across the half-back line and Staff saying "Can one of you guys just make your way into the centre square pluuzeeee!" ;D

Diggler, I love your honesty. Brutal ... but honest nonetheless. It's a harsh reality you live in Diggler. Still, I'd rather have you on our side.

What is the fascination with the backline guys ???

Sounds like Danny and the rest of the coaching staff have told the guys they need to be more flexible in terms of where they play. They just can't stay in the same postiion for the whole day. They need to be able to play in multiple positions to give the coaching staff more options on matchday as well as being part of the midfield rotation. If Campo starts across half back then goes into the middle or up forward then someone else needs to push back.

Also getting easy uncontested possessions across HB makes you look like a star. Just ask Jason Cloke ::).

I am getting a mental picture of our entire midfield all standing across the half-back line and Staff saying "Can one of you guys just make your way into the centre square pluuzeeee!" ;D

Wasn't that our 2002 game plan ???.

Let me clarify. Cambo is an ok player, but has never been a dominant midfielder. Remember, this has been a big weekness at our club, or have you all got sunstroke. Cambo has gone missing/exposed in so many big games when he played midfield that its a joke.

A few stats from some big games where Campbell has "gone missing/ been exposed"

Average disposals against quality opposition since 97'

Carlton - 24.5
Essendon - 24.4
Brisbane - 23.2
Port Adelaide - 27.1*

*This has been boosted by huge stats in early games when Port were still establishing themselves.

Average disposals in 6 finals played ( 3 in 95', 3 in 01' )

Big games when Richmond directly played off for position in top 8

Rnd 22 96' North Melbourne
22 disposals

Rnd 22 98' Melbourne
22 disposals

Rnd 21 00' Sydney
29 disposals

Rnd 22 00' Carlton
20 disposals

Not bad for someone with such a poor record in big games.

Source http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/

And i bet they have all been quality possessions TF.

Now where do i find a smiley that says "tongue firmly planted in cheek"

And i bet they have all been quality possessions TF.  

Beat me to the punch Froars.

The number of possessions is irelevant if they are not of quality. That was always my biggest arguement regarding Daffy in the mid-field. 30 possessions but 25 straight to the opposition.

No Dean, just the same one :)

Yes, KL: Lies, Damn Lies and Wayne Campbell statistics sort of sums up my feelings too.