Booing the Watson-Goodes Media | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Booing the Watson-Goodes Media

B

Bill James

There is an article in the West Australian today decrying the booing of these players. I don't know either of the players nor have I booed them. That said I can understand why crowds do boo them.

Watson is in the invidious position of having been injected with substances by his club and not being able to substantiate exactly what he was injected with. While he was under this regime he won the competitions premier individual award. Your average Joe thinks the reality is what it is. Watson, or Hird, or Essendon, can't prove what he took and should put their hands up and say so. Watson is a massive media asset, and lets remember the media makes up 50% of the revenue of the whole AFL. The media, led by his father (of the year 1993), have mounted a serious sympathy defence for Watson as one of its better assets. I don't think this sentiment is shared by your average punter. The booing public thinks the whole situation is a little disingenuous and voices opinion in the only medium they have.

Goodes is a different but similar case. Your average punter is undecided whether the AFL career is promoting the indigenous heritage or other way round. The suspicion is that Goodes benefitted from affirmative action on Monday and Tuesday nights throughout his career. He demonstratively highlights that he is indigenous to the crowd, but is not receptive to the crowd highlighting the same fact. Again he is a massive media asset and the media is sympathetic to his first Australian (of the year 2014) heritage but less sympathetic to the less advantaged sitting in the outer. The booing public again thinks the whole situation is a little disingenuous and lets everyone know.

The crowds are not so much booing the players, who are both fine young men and undoubtedly very good players, but are booing the exaggerated media defence of two prime media assets. The media would do well to remember who the real asset is that provides a return on its $250M investment each year. If they listen they will hear them booing. If they are smart they will stop talking about it.

Good post

Pre supplements I really respected Watson Post I still like him on and off field but have no problem in booing him as he represents their cheating and scheming

Goodes I have no problem with him and would never boo him. Having a good year on field as well

I was at the North / Sydney game on Saturday night. There was a big boo at the start of the game for Goodes. Then i didn't notice the booing until around the 3rd quarter. It seemed the better Goodes was playing .... the more incessant the booing got.

He muffed an entry into the 50 and the crowd in front, all North fans, were going ballistic at him. I couldn't really work out what the issue was - i just think people don't know ...or are undecided. But they were angry. He gave it back to the fans after a goal resulted if i remember rightly.

But really in the early stages of the game and as he was warming into it ... the booing wasn't obvious from where i was but as he got his goals and got more involved. The more the booing rose and the angrier folks became towards him.

So i didn't see it as racist ....just tall poppy syndrome.

Interesting take Bill. More than a grain of truth I reckon.

Wildcat said:
I was at the North / Sydney game on Saturday night. There was a big boo at the start of the game for Goodes. Then i didn't notice the booing until around the 3rd quarter. It seemed the better Goodes was playing .... the more incessant the booing got.

He muffed an entry into the 50 and the crowd in front, all North fans, were going ballistic at him. I couldn't really work out what the issue was - i just think people don't know ...or are undecided. But they were angry. He gave it back to the fans after a goal resulted if i remember rightly.

But really in the early stages of the game and as he was warming into it ... the booing wasn't obvious from where i was but as he got his goals and got more involved. The more the booing rose and the angrier folks became towards him.

So i didn't see it as racist ....just tall poppy syndrome.

Yep. Just putting him off his game. Most players would use this as motivation to show how much better they can play. When he retires, I'm sure everyone will be applauding while standing up. I'll be one.

tommygun said:
Goodes is one of the greatest to ever play the game...but a total flog!
Agree. The shame is in this overly pc world your labelled a flog for having a sledge at him.
People need to forget skin colour, isn't this what we all want, for all to be treated equally??

Legends of 1980 said:
I believe if people weren't told to stop booing, this would have blown over by now
Agree
Why weren't we told to sop booing Hayden Ballantyne or it was fine to boo Milne?

Yes both these players are undoubted champions of the game, and as you pointed out Bill the punters do. to want the media engineering there thinking.
We all have ability to judge each situation with the same degree of presented evidence as the vast majority of the media, and make these judgements without the "PC" bridle that the media seems to think they need to apply to every opinion.
The public takes particular exception when they are accused as being racist or bigoted, when the common judgement is far from racist or bigoted and also as you pointed out Bill only way they can give voice to there opinion is by booing whoever they disapprove of wether that be a player, umpire, AFL CEO, coach, team or whoever has earned it.
The customer is ALWAYS right.

At games I regularly boo poor umpire decisions, players kicking from goal as a result of poor umpiring decision and I used to boo players who hit players off the ball or illegally.
However I haven't felt at all inclined to boo Watson or Goodes at all and don't really understand the media connection thing.

That said I would be much more inclined to boo Watson of the two.

zip-mouth.jpg

I seem to remember Wayne Carey copped a lot of booing and quite often l thought he played better when he was booed.

The reason Goodes was booed at the Hawthorn game was because of his sniping in the Grand Final when the game was done. Good player but gets away with alot and wish Richo got as many free kicks as he does...

casper68 said:
I seem to remember Wayne Carey copped a lot of booing and quite often l thought he played better when he was booed.
They brought up the issue with Brent Harvey on Sunday on the Sunday Footy Show, and his response was that the more they talk about it, the more likely it is to keep happening, or actually increase. He cops plenty too, but he actually said it spurs him on.

Goodes thinks he's above everyone else in a country that hates tall poppies. Of course he gets booed. It's become funny and popular now so people will do it even more.

Barry Hall slinked into a GF he shouldn't have got to after getting an easy go for a very dirty cheap shot. What kind of poppy was he? How loud was the booing?