Best goal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best goal

LidsBling&Cotch said:
buddy is 196cm and still outran a mid

This was what was so striking about it.

I think Barge put Buddy's goal in perspective well the other night.
It wasn't necessarily the best goal ever but it was possibly the best goals ever by a tall player.

Id have Richo's vs sydney about 5yrs ago over buddys any day. Run & bounced in the wet at the SCG & slotted it from nearly 60 i recall. 1 of 7 on that day i think.

The comments on radio this weekend about buddy being the greatest athlete ever to play AFL *smile* me off, Richo was a far superior athlete, far superior.

Franklin's ok. Media's always into the latest as 'the best ever'.

Aker a few years ago playing for Brisbane running at the boundary with the goals to his left and kicking across his body with his right from almost on the boundary line then doing it again not long after is one that stands out for me.

Bloody hell! How did Hymie Lloyds accidental heel nudge ever get rated as an elite goal? Nothing better than an opportunistic toe poke in the goal square.

AZZAMOOT said:
Id have Richo's vs sydney about 5yrs ago over buddys any day. Run & bounced in the wet at the SCG & slotted it from nearly 60 i recall.

That was a ripper goal that day at the SCG from Richo. I was there that day and the conditions were atrocious.
Still I rate Buddy's 2nd goal the other night just a little better personally given it was kicked from the boundary.
No doubt that Richo goal was a beauty though and a favourite highlight of mine from his career.

Don't forget the context of the game for buddys as well as the fact it was the end of the game and everyone was buggered, great effort to run that far bouncing let alone slot it from the boundary

One thing buddy does not seem to have is a leap - richo kills him in that department

brigadiertiger said:
Aker a few years ago playing for Brisbane running at the boundary with the goals to his left and kicking across his body with his right from almost on the boundary line then doing it again not long after is one that stands out for me.

Ah yes I forgot that one/two, that was also in the wet i think. Didnt he then turn to the crowd with his hand over his mouth, classic aker. I think he kicked 5 that day.

jimbob said:
I think there are too many commentators that speak first & think second. You're right - all of those goals were classics & Mick McGuanes was a good un too. I think it's the recency rule coming into play..."that's the best goal I can instantly remember".....

There are couple of serial offenders - Hutchy and Quartermaine - who use "No doubt about that" way too much and for things that there is plenty of doubt about! Admittedly my two least favourite people in the footy media, but it's really bloody annoying.

Back to the thread - Lloyds was naff. I have to agree with most on Blights torp ( Newman might replicate it one day.....maybe ;) ). Ablett senior has a plethora of them. Can't give the Maggies credit for anything or my throat swells up and I need and adrenaline shot so no bikkies for me on the McGuane goal.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
ummmm, no offence man but in OUR game the mids are usually quicker

Really?
Brad Moran? Lance Franklin? Matthew Richardson? Nic Naitanui?
Franklin was hardly outrunning fast small players anyway, Cale Hooker and Mark McVeigh? Gimme a break!

ZeroGame said:
Really?
Brad Moran? Lance Franklin? Matthew Richardson? Nic Naitanui?
Franklin was hardly outrunning fast small players anyway, Cale Hooker and Mark McVeigh? Gimme a break!

I think you may be struggling here.

Richo was behind Lids, Foley, White, Jacko & King - over 100m. And that's just our 'mids'

and the others?

Brad Moran has the fasted 20m sprint at the draft camp (done at state screening) and he's 200cm
The record at Draft Camp is Danyle Pearce with 2.79 secs, Moran's state screening time was 2.78 secs.

for me there's a some vital components in the goal of the year;

excitement value
x factor
pressure
baulks
distance ran
angle

Buddy's goal/s had plenty of excitement value (given the state of the game and the fact he did it twice), x factor, distance ran, angle.
Blights torpedo had excitement value, pressure and xfactor.
McGuane's (Mick), Farmers, Monassa's, Mitchell's had the baulk and distance ran factors which i rate highly.
Daicos kicked plenty of angle goals.

Don't rate the clever stuff near the posts like Milne, Lloyd backheel, Wells Jackie Chan types and all the soccers (except Jacks v Port 2010 :hihi). It's a one off reflex action.

best goal - Mick McGuane although i hate to admit it.

Mac said:
and yeah...Michael Mitchell's was a bewdy. It looekd like he got so sick of clearing the ball only to have it rebounded that he just made up his mind to do the whole damn thing himself to stick it up his teammates almost as much as the Swannies. Had a real "do I have to everything myself?" about it.

It was halfway through the last quarter of the last game of the year, and we were comfortably in front. That match supplied a number of Richmond highlights, including Tony Free's monster shirtfront on 'Moose' Henwood. Kept a recording of the full game for years but accidentally taped over it.

Robert Wiley's snap from the boundary at Arden St late in 1980 is one of the great goals I've witnessed. Would love to see the replay.

Jimmy Jess's best that I saw were in a night series game v Fitzroy in 1978 or 79 from the true half forward flank, and with a waterlogged ball at the MCG against Footscray ~1983.

Bernie Quinlan kicked a humongous goal on the run at the Junction Oval v North about 1981.

For sheer skill, a couple from Daniel Motlop in recent years are up there with anything I've seen.

If Franklin's "single" goal wasn't the best (and I tend to think it was) - there could hardly be a better "pair" of goals.