Best goal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Best goal

Son of Francis

Tiger Rookie
Jun 5, 2010
I hear many people rating Buddy Franklin's last quarter goal as one of the greatest ever. I think on the scale out of 10 of best ever goals its a 8 out of 10. The goal was similar to other great goals - Ray Gabellic in '64 (a Collingwood GF loss :cutelaugh) and Phil Mannassa (in another Collingwood GF loss :rofl). I'd rate many of the goals of Ablett, Leon Davis, Daicos and Milne equal or better than Franklin's.
The three best goals that took my fancy and have stuck in my memory (these are the 9.5/10 pointers) are:
1. For the award of quick thinking and adaptability - the winner is Matthew Lloyds 'back heeler' facing away from the goal while being tackled in a crowded goal square.
2. The intercontinental missile award goes to Malcolm Blight. His 80 metre bomb from the centre of Princes Park after the siren to win the game gets two votes.
3. The three votes and the Leyland Brothers award goes to the little Richmond dynamo Michael Mitchell. He traveled further than any other player I can remember to kick a goal. He got the ball near full back at the SGC (I know its not a long ground) and ran and weaved for about 90 metres (7 bounces) and nailed it from 35 -40
metres.
I might be biased, but in my opinion that's the best.

I think there are too many commentators that speak first & think second. You're right - all of those goals were classics & Mick McGuanes was a good un too. I think it's the recency rule coming into play..."that's the best goal I can instantly remember".....

What Buddy's goal had that Mitchell, Gabelich's, Manassa's and McGuane's didn't have was the fact that after such a long run, he still had to kick 50 metres from the boundary line....a hard enough shot to take with a set shot let alone after sprinting 50 metres or so.

IMO Buddy's better than all of those...not necessarily the best ever, but I reckon better than those I have mentioned above.

The Gabelich goal is the most overrated sporting highlight of all time. Big lumbering ruckman gets the ball 20 metres in the clear, only 30 metres from goal, has a couple of wonky bounces, fumbles, picks it up still 10 metres in the clear and goals from the square. Meh. If it wasn't in a grand final and two camera angles weren't spliced together to make it look like he ran twice as far, none of us would ever had heard of it.

spook said:
The Gabelich goal is the most overrated sporting highlight of all time. Big lumbering ruckman gets the ball 20 metres in the clear, only 30 metres from goal, has a couple of wonky bounces, fumbles, picks it up still 10 metres in the clear and goals from the square. Meh. If it wasn't in a grand final and two camera angles weren't spliced together to make it look like he ran twice as far, none of us would ever had heard of it.

The fumbles were what made it famous. Imagine e.g. Mark Blake doing that and putting Geelong in front with five minutes to go in a GF. But I agree that, at face value, it's nothing special.

Son of Francis said:
1. For the award of quick thinking and adaptability - the winner is Matthew Lloyds 'back heeler' facing away from the goal while being tackled in a crowded goal square.

You're kidding, right?

ToraToraTora said:
Son of Francis said:

You're kidding, right?

Why would I kid TTT. As I said they're the ones that took my fancy. It's all very subjective. Why don't you tell us which ones tickled your fancy?

spook said:

Maybe in '64 it was a great goal but I just looked at in on Youtube and it's not much.

Son of Francis said:

You must be joking, that was incorrect disposal, not a goal
Can't believe it was goal of the week, let alone goal of the year and certainly in no way one of the best ever

I always felt Matera's goal against the Cats in 1992 in the GF was one of the finest I have ever seen. Full pace off the wing, he just lets rip with a monster bomb and it keeps going straight through. Broke the Cats hearts that one. I reckon he hardly broke stride in kicking it.

Richo kicked some beauties 50 metres out on the boundry line - the ones where he just banged it on his foot and didn't have to think about it.

TigerArmySoldier01 said:
matty knights in 95 finals... maybe im biased :)

I certainly like the set he kicked as one of the greatest collection given the context of being down in a final.

1988 goal of the year from Matthew Larkin of North was a ripper

I agree with ZeroGame about Luganis's goal being incorrect disposal

Saw Gary Lyon and Daicos both kick monster torps for goals in wet weather at VFL park from inside the centre square. They were massive goals.

I like McGuanes better than Buddy's becuase it had more elements to it with dodging, faking and direction changes - looked smoother too. Buddy's was a better kick at the end of the run, but McGuane's had finals context aswell.

and yeah...Michael Mitchell's was a bewdy. It looekd like he got so sick of clearing the ball only to have it rebounded that he just made up his mind to do the whole damn thing himself to stick it up his teammates almost as much as the Swannies. Had a real "do I have to everything myself?" about it.

Too many to remember...I prefer the cool in crisis ones over the flukey ones (flukey like the one Wankerneen did I think against us where he volleyed it from the boundary line and it banana-ed through)

One more...Gary Ablett Sr in the 89 GF where he plucked it from the throw in and snapped a goal from the boundary in one motion. Fantastic.

My favourite is Andrew Bews when he played for Geelong at Kardinia. He dodged about 4 tacklers, dropped the ball, got it back, dodged another player and kicked a ripper.
Another was Craig Bradley at Princes Park where he had a few bounces on the boundary, handpassed it, got it back then kicked the ball with the outside of his boot from outside 50 on the boundary line and it went straight through the middle.

I'd rank Buddy's second goal as a 10/10, just magnificent. What a freak.

Mac said:
One more...Gary Ablett Sr in the 89 GF where he plucked it from the throw in and snapped a goal from the boundary in one motion. Fantastic.

That one, and the one from Daniel Wells at the MCG, which was a similar one action goal.

The point about Buddy on Friday night, and what makes him one of the most amazing players, is that he did it twice in three minutes.

This article says it well: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-bursts-into-another-dimension-20100621-ysax.html