Back Line Restructure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back Line Restructure

Phar Ace said:
I'd be prepared to back Westoff for a game(s) this season. He's an absolute competitor (check out some of his highlights from the SANFL last season - tenacious), so Tango's call is not as silly as it seems IPHO ;D

I liked those highlights as well. Looks a goer who has some potential to make the grade.

How has he gone this year? Like Grimes, I have heard very little.

pebsy54 said:
Our guys down back are no doubt a bit traumatised by the speed with which the ball can and does come back

Their lack of foot skill is the biggest reason why the ball comes back so quickly and then they are too scared to run off their opponents. Is self perpetuating.
Hardwick is meant to be building a team from defence. I have seen more impriovement in the mids and fwds than defence. Hardwick will struggle to build a united defence with the current backline cattle.

Barnzy said:
Cats: Scarlett (192cm, 94kg), Taylor (193cm, 92kg), Longergan (197cm, 99kg), Milburn (189, 92kg), Enright (187cm, 91kg)

I got those stats off Superfooty and those tend to be outdated so the difference size wise might be even worse if they added on some kg's. Richmond stats I remember from the Herald Sun booklet from the preseason that are up to date.

Compare that to Richmond: Thursfield (192cm, 89kg), McGuane (192cm, 90kg), Moore (190cm, 86kg, Deledio rotates through there (188cm, 88kg).

So need a Lonergan and we're the equal of Geelong. Reckon lack of true class has a bit more to do with it than raw height.

Barnzy said:
Westhoff? Well that would certainly be one from left field. I think Griffiths is more likely to play first, Leppa on radio said he will play in the next couple weeks.

Barnsy
When did you here Lepa on the radio?
I must have missed this one.
BTW I rate Lepa as a good bloke

Michael said:
Barnsy
When did you here Lepa on the radio?
I must have missed this one.
BTW I rate Lepa as a good bloke

He was on 3AW before the Essendon match.

Tango said:
i think we need to get gourdis and westhoff into the side

Westhoff and Grimes for that matter are still a long way off imo.

Westhoff is very raw and both he and grimes are quite skinny from what I have seen. I would be surprised if either got a gig this year.

Size and strength across the ground is an issue for us and will continue to be so until we turn over the list and/or a greater emphasis is placed on strength. The players we have are there for the year and maybe more. Its easy to say, bullet him him and him, but it won't solve our problem if players come in to take similar roles. I think the roles need to change and our back line needs to be given more freedom (this assumes that they're not) to attack, take risks and run off their man even if it is just to create space.

Barnzy said:
He was on 3AW before the Essendon match.

Thanks
Anything interesting?
Probably wouldnt have had a chance to get a word in with that lot

Michael said:
Thanks
Anything interesting?
Probably wouldnt have had a chance to get a word in with that lot

Just a few little things like we have 20 rules the players have to follow, if they don't they won't get a game.

Leppa impressed by Farmer and is his favourite backman so far. Dunno what he was getting at but I guess he has a good attitude towards his footy.

Also other little things like Griffiths will play in in the next couple of weeks, Nason has good GPS numbers, etc.

Key position backmen is our biggest weakness. If Jack, Griffiths & Ashbury are going to be the key forwards, then we better hope that Post is going to stand up as a key back. He has the size to play on the monster forwards. I just about given up on Rance I was hoping he would make it as a key back and it looks like Polak is finished. It would be nice if we could draft a Hurley type in the next draft.

SAF said:
Key position backmen is our biggest weakness. If Jack, Griffiths & Ashbury are going to be the key forwards, then we better hope that Post is going to stand up as a key back. He has the size to play on the monster forwards. I just about given up on Rance I was hoping he would make it as a key back and it looks like Polak is finished. It would be nice if we could draft a Hurley type in the next draft.

Restructuring the back line is one thing, what annoys me is that our kick in plan is so damn readable. Its either a chip side kick or short kick up the middle, with maybe a long kick out to the flanks. Given that say Newman gets 10 metres start in the goal square, how about the odd long bomb torpedo straight up the guts, with a tall waiting for it and a small with him to grab it if it comes to ground. Newman by rights should be able to get the ball some 70 metres out from the oppositions goal, also by passing the "zone" defence and forcing the opposition not to flood into their forward 50 area. Our defence is too damn predictable, restructuring the defenders is one thing that needs to be addressed, it would be nice to see our kick in defender mix it up a bit with penetrating kicks to outside the 50 arc as well, keep the opposition thinking and it would have to take a little pressure off our defenders at the same time I would have thought.