Back Line Restructure | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Back Line Restructure

pebsy54

Tiger Rookie
Jun 28, 2004
It struck me on Saturday how desparately our full backline needs to be re-structured when we have the ball. I am well aware that we do not have the players on our list to change all that is broken but our full backline is horrible in terms of its creativity and drive moving forward. i am not sure what the answer is but i suspect it lies in players taking more risks and moving those that have no skill out of the line of fire.

McGuane- an excellent stopper and contester, terrible kick, needs to moved up the ground to create space for others
Thursfield- an excellent stopper and contester, slow and careful with the ball, at kick ins should become the short middle of the ground option
Moore- versatile, fast and skilled, does not take risks and run hard to create for the team, at kick ins should be the next option running hard to create
King- fast but lacking in skill and now a bit gun shy, does not take chances
Farmer-solid and honest, but not creative

All these guys are similar in regards to there lack of creativity and run. They do not threaten the opposition and hurt us frequently through turnovers and lack of creativity. Connors will slide back there and Newman should stay back. Delidio is going well but in my opinion we are robbing Peter to pay Paul with him their. Moore is one that has skill and speed and needs to change his attack on the game for us to have more options. Thursfield also needs to move into space more to open the game up and also needs to move the quickly. McGuane should never be the target unless it is a get out kick 50 mteres up the line to a contest.

Our guys down back are no doubt a bit traumatised by the speed with which the ball can and does come back and no doubt are a bit scared to leave their opponents. Until they change or we get better players, others like Delidio, Cotchin, Newman and Martin will continue to get the ball on the last line of the defence and won't be the option we need further up the ground to attack and create.

Thoughts?

Agree pebsy. Was just suggesting in another thread how much our defence is struggling this season.

Farmer & King have been found short of the level. Cousins is struggling for run.
McMahon is elsewhere.

I think Tambling(if fit?) needs to go to the back pocket for three reasons.

1) Playing him on a small forward ala Betts/Milne gives him focus and responsibility.
2) If fit he has the pace to keep up with these players.
3) He's one of our few players who's creative forward of the ball.

Connors on the HBF will help. He and Newman are good users of the ball.
Tambling, Connors & Newman gives us creativity. Still a little concerned re pace but it'll do for the short term.

IMO we need to gradually weed out Thursfield & McGuane as neither have enough strings to their bows to make it IMO.
Both are good spoilers but show little else. McGuane tries hard but has highly questionable skills and Thursfield is a limited player.
Astbury looks a natural forward but may have to be used back there if Post & Rance don't make it.
Our tall backs are still an issue going forward.

My defence in the short term would be along the lines of:

Tambling Thursfield Moore/Astbury
Newman Deledio Connors

Might be alright in theory ToO but I don't know about Lids at CHB. You can't have him playing on the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Brown, Franklin etc, he'd be wasted. Thursfield and Moore do top jobs stopping these blokes I reckon. Best we've got at the moment anyway.
Lids on the HBF, to crumb, feed and create off the spillages that Thirsty and Moore create.

I like Tambling in the back pocket though although of late, he's been a bit unaccountable.

Our backline soley watches the player and not also the ball.
Our backline are like sheep, following the opposition...and therefore always second to the ball. They can't make a judgement call themselves.
Our backline aren't smart enough to put a loose man in the goalsquare when teams bomb towards the goal or even raise their arms to contest or spoil a mark. (Moore is an exception)
We never dictate the play.
We cheat and go backwards and NEVER look UP the field.

Our backline is dumb, reactive and all the RESTRUCTURING in the world or new players will not help when our backline is ALLOWED to play dumb football. This ethos is set at the RFC.

Our Backline is a group of deaf, dumb and blind lemmings!!

sashback said:
Might be alright in theory ToO but I don't know about Lids at CHB. You can't have him playing on the likes of Nick Riewoldt, Brown, Franklin etc, he'd be wasted. Thursfield and Moore do top jobs stopping these blokes I reckon.

Agree. Not expecting Lids to do the stopping job on Riewoldt etc.

pebsy54 said:
McGuane- an excellent stopper and contester, terrible kick, needs to moved up the ground to create space for others
Thursfield- an excellent stopper and contester, slow and careful with the ball, at kick ins should become the short middle of the ground option
Moore- versatile, fast and skilled, does not take risks and run hard to create for the team, at kick ins should be the next option running hard to create
King- fast but lacking in skill and now a bit gun shy, does not take chances
Farmer-solid and honest, but not creative

The longer the above collection of duds play senior football for Richmond, the longer it will take us to win a game! Even Thursfield is becoming a dud this season in sympathy with his mates Moore and McGuane. Get rid of the lot of them for God sake, Dimma!!

tiger12 said:
The longer the above collection of duds play senior football for Richmond, the longer it will take us to win a game! Even Thursfield is becoming a dud this season in sympathy with his mates Moore and McGuane. Get rid of the lot of them for God sake, Dimma!!

Circle work!

I can understand the call for a backline restructure afterall it still resembles what Wallace has put together and we'll expect the attrition of these key backs to be replaced in time.

checkside said:
I like Grimes. Hopefully he can replace McGuane.

I like him too. Has a massive learning curve in front of him. Players at the lower level do look good but once they hit the big time they seem to buckle under pressure, Dea is a perfect example.

Maybe skills means Ash McGrath

Or Jarrod Harbrow

or Graham Johncock

or maybe David Wirrpunda Tooheys. ;D

i think we need to get gourdis and westhoff into the side

id still like to see our side look like this

B: Nason Gourdis Connors
HB: Newman Grimes/Post Deledio
C: Cousins Martin Webberley
HF: Taylor Riewoldt Astbury
F: Edwards Westhoff/Griffiths Morton
R: Browne Jackson Foley

Tango said:
i think we need to get gourdis and westhoff into the side

id still like to see our side look like this

B: Nason Gourdis Connors
HB: Newman Grimes/Post Deledio
C: Cousins Martin Webberley
HF: Taylor Riewoldt Astbury
F: Edwards Westhoff/Griffiths Morton
R: Browne Jackson Foley

Westhoff? Well that would certainly be one from left field. I think Griffiths is more likely to play first, Leppa on radio said he will play in the next couple weeks.

Barnzy said:
Westhoff? Well that would certainly be one from left field. I think Griffiths is more likely to play first, Leppa on radio said he will play in the next couple weeks.

Agree that Griffiths is more likely, but I'd be prepared to back Westoff for a game(s) this season. He's an absolute competitor (check out some of his highlights from the SANFL last season - tenacious), so Tango's call is not as silly as it seems IPHO ;D

Tigers of Old said:
Tambling Thursfield Moore/Astbury
Newman Deledio Connors

Would want to be very short-term my dear friend, ToO. That backline is way too small.

I was looking at the top teams backlines and noticed they all have on thing in common - at least 1 extra tall than us and more height in general.

Saints: Dawson (195cm, 94kg), Gilbert (194cm, 92kg), Blake (191cm, 88kg), Fisher (192cm,92kg). Goddard (191cm, 92kg) also rotates through there.

Dogs: Williams (196cm, 101kg), Lake (195cm, 105kg), Hargrave (190cm, 85kg), Morris (190cm, 92kg), Everitt rotates through there (193cm, 87kg).

Cats: Scarlett (192cm, 94kg), Taylor (193cm, 92kg), Longergan (197cm, 99kg), Milburn (189, 92kg), Enright (187cm, 91kg)

I got those stats off Superfooty and those tend to be outdated so the difference size wise might be even worse if they added on some kg's. Richmond stats I remember from the Herald Sun booklet from the preseason that are up to date.

Compare that to Richmond: Thursfield (192cm, 89kg), McGuane (192cm, 90kg), Moore (190cm, 86kg, Deledio rotates through there (188cm, 88kg).

Too small, too light and not enough talls in general. I hope they experiment in the 2nd half of the season and give Gourdis/Grimes/Post, etc extended time up there and try to develop a real backline for the future. I don't think this current combo is taking us anywhere soon. Some food for thought anyways, was interesting comparing our backline to some of the better teams.

We lack a quality key defender who can anchor the defence and provide some leadership and direction to those around him.

Geelong have Scarlett
Western Bulldogs have Lake
St Kilda have Fisher
Collingwood have Maxwell

I don't think we have anyone capable of that role on our list at the moment (prove me wrong Post, prove me wrong) and in my opinion this is this biggest whole in our perfurated list.