Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Djevv said:
For once could you actually attack the SUBSTANCE of the site rather than the purpose. Just because it is Christian doesn't make it WRONG. Christians can and do have opinions about science, philosophy and the like.

The purpose of the site is to pretend to be about science, when it is clearly about Christian attacks on science. That is intellectually dishonest. In this case it's completely appropriate to be critical of the site's purpose, because the site's purpose is clearly to hijack people who are curious about some aspects of science and then lead them gently down the path of Christian Apologetics. As Marshall McLuhan said, "the medium is the message".

I'll get onto the substance of the sites later today - busy busy busy..

I think you may believe the interpretation of the facts on certain sites is incorrect. I certainly see that in mainstream sites as well as Christian sites. That doesn't make the conclusions LIES. I don't believe any of the sites I have cited are dishonest, but feel free to disagree with their substance. It comes across as arrogant to say sites are no good because they are Christian, Athiest, Agnostic or even have poor graphical design. It's all about the substance.

Oh yeah, the George Costanza approach to lying - "Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it to be true".
:hihi

These specific sites (not referring to all of your sites) ARE dishonest because of the reasons I've stated. You still haven't convinced me otherwise.

For the record, I have never criticised a site for "being Christian" or anything else you mention (excepting poor usability and web design is one of my pet hates - comes with my profession, sorry). Of course any site presenting an intellectual argument should be judged on the content of that argument, true.

176 pages dedicated to atheists?

gee whiz

for people who don't believe in god, they sure have a lot to say about religion, don't they?

Pickles said:

gee whiz

for people who don't believe in god, they sure have a lot to say about religion, don't they?

Nice try Pickles but if you look harder you'll see that a lot of these pages are our Christian brethren proposing reasons why atheism, science and rationality are wrong because they feel it threatens their dogmatic approach to the universe.

Feel free to join in though! It's fun when you get the hang of it.

i believe in god, satan, and everything in between (including science) 8)

Disco08 said:
However presenting it to a wider audience without also offering the widely available evidence that counters these tales seems disingenuous at best to me.

Does that mean you support teaching kids creation theory parallel to evolution in schools?

antman said:
Nice try Pickles but if you look harder you'll see that a lot of these pages are our Christian brethren proposing reasons why atheism, science and rationality are wrong because they feel it threatens their dogmatic approach to the universe.

I personally don't feel threatened at all. There has not been one skerrick of evidence that has disproved the existence of an omnipotent God on this thread.

Pickles said:

gee whiz

Hah, Hah, Hah. That's funny because it's true!

Actually what happened was that once the Christianity thread took over from the Krakouer thread as PRE's most popular the Atheists didn't like it and wanted naming rights of their own thread to try to outdo the interest in Christianity. So now what we do is discuss exactly the same issues over two different threads. ;D

Tiger74 said:
Does that mean you support teaching kids creation theory parallel to evolution in schools?
I support as long as they give equal time to teaching evolution in Sunday School.

jayfox said:
Hah, Hah, Hah. That's funny because it's true!
Well for someone who doesn't believe in the explainatory power of evolution theory you guys have alot to say about that.

So you know...

Tigers of Old said:
There hasn't been much to support it either. ;) :spin

Should it be the job of Christians to prove there is a God? My POV is that if it is reasonable to believe something then one should have the right to do so. So to me the question is, is the Christian faith reasonable? I think if nothing else on this thread, I have made a good case (and Jay as well) for it being thoroughly reasonable and even logical!

antman said:
The purpose of the site is to pretend to be about science, when it is clearly about Christian attacks on science. That is intellectually dishonest.

This begs the question. Surely the sites are simply presenting facts about God from a theistic POV. Are they really attacking science? Maybe they are attacking materialists that are trying to make science say things about the nature of man which are beyond the scope of the data. This is not intellectually dishonest.

Djevv said:
Why? Good question. Perhaps God tweaked an original flagellum design to make it useful in many different species :). Perhaps He is a keen molecular engineer and wondered how many viable flagella He could make :). Perhaps Devolution has modified an original flagellum in different bacteria by essentially natural means :). Perhaps God got carried away with an artistic urge when it came to flagella :).

Is it more reasonable to believe that each flagellum from each prokaryote was individually evolved by each species? Sorry, I am tempted to commit the incredulity fallacy again :hihi.

So on one hand we have an god (with no real evidence of their existence) showing distinct signs of OCD and this is but one of the billions of examples of convergent evolution, let alone imperfect design, vestigial features and the existence of pathogenic organisms (whatever for?).

On the other hand we have the evolution of a basic sectretory system (which shows evidence of having become widespread via horizontal transfer....that is between species) which has evolved in different lineages and niches in different manners into flagella for motility. All of these systems share the core proteins that are found in the secretory system, but then have evolved different ways of generating motility via the flagella. That is exactly what evolutionary theory predicts! A number of different solutions to the same problem, each evolved seperately and each selectively advantageous to their respective species. No need for any incredulity here. :)

A form would be a functionally viable individual that has a selectictive advantage. I'll make sure that genomics reading goes on my 'to do' list :).

I was interpreting your term "form" to mean species. We generally look at traits as selectively advantageous producing the species adapted to their particular environmental niche. Depending on how closely related the two species are the actual molecular differences between them can be quite minor.....over time these become greater due to random genetic drift and the lack of gene flow between the two species.

OK, but does the demonstration that a simpler system exists that might be co-opted to form a flagella mean it is definitely able to be assembled stepwise with all fully functional intermediates? The point here is is that it is not difficult to invent a somewhat plausible story about how a complex machine like biological structure possibly formed as long as some of the the details are missing. This might have occured, we infer that this must have happened. Is a somewhat plausible story enough to prove that evolution produced a structure which to seems to require a certain number of functional parts to all work together? I think it remains a somewhat plausible story, and no more.

This is shifting the goalposts though. The criticism that ID proponent made was that some biological systems couldn't have evolved via Darwinian mechanisms as they are too complex and required too many cooperating parts (ie. irreducible complexity). This research doesn't aim to necessarily prove how they evolved, just to show that they are 'evolvable'. Examination of the individual proteins in these systems can provide insight into the 'how' though and the timing of such events. The fact that you claim that is plausible defeats the ID position.

Isn't it easier to imagine that a a TTSS system that is useful for only a minority of bacteria might have developed from a working flagellum? Certainly it is possible.

Yes, it is possible, although the evidence presented in that paper makes it far less likely. Examination of the proteins making up TTSS systems and bacterial flagella, strongly suggests that the TTSS system is more ancient than the flagellum.

I read the article, but not in the kind of detail you need to fully comprehend the force of the evidence and arguments, so not being and expert in the field I won't comment except to wonder about this section:
'Second, the suggestion that a simpler system
(TTSS) is derived from a more complex system (flagella) is
quite odd in an evolutionary context since it runs against the
progressionist grain that pervades evolutionary thought
since the days of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck. As was pointed out
by Aizawa (2001): “The flagellum is a beautifully designed
architecture almost completed in evolution. Why should
those sophisticated skills be abandoned to go back to boring
soluble proteins?

This seems to be indicating that the paper has an a priori progressionist evolutionary bent that it wishes to promulgate.

To be honest, I didn't particularly like that section in the introduction either. It was unneccesary and didn't add anything to their argument. That aside the actual research presented in the paper clearly demonstrates that the TTSS is a more ancient system than the flagellum, based on analysis of the proteins that make up these structures.

I agree, natural selection ought to have taken care of this creature at its inception, but it didn't. Why?

??? Um, the bombardier beetle doesn't explode and the system is advantageous and has become fixed in the population. Any of these beetles that generated a system that led to self destruction wouldn't survive to pass it on! Only those that had a workable solution survived and passed on the adaptation.

Well, the Bible is the revelation you were after. I know that is not original thinking on my part, but it is tried and tested.

To me all roads in life hinge on the question, who do you say Jesus is. Can you answer that question?

However there are serious questions over the stories in the Bible. How can you tell the difference between literal truth and allegory?

Why do you think the Jesus question is confined to Christian cultures? I know that sounds stupid, but the lives of individuals in other cultures hinge on other questions with equal validity to yours. This is the problem with faith-based positions.

Finally since the topic is intellectual honesty - do think it is honest of ID proponents to question evolution in terms of irreducible complexity. I agree they have not proved their case, but I don't think it is dishonest to try.

No, irreducible complexity is a valid hypothesis that has been discredited, and like all discredited scientific hypotheses must be discarded. Some of the actions of the big 'players' in the ID world though are clearly dishonest, ranging from partial presentation of facts, distortion of evidence, misrepresentation of their goals (to get creation 'science' back in the classroom), quote mining amongst others.

BTW I am still waiting to see any evidence contradicting evolutionary theory.

Tiger74 said:

Creationism is not a parallel to evolution. One is a scientific theory the other is a religous proposition.

I have no problem with creationism being taught in schools in a class dedicated to teaching religions and their histories. I actually like Daniel Dennett's proposition that all children should be taught about different religions and their histories, allowing them to make an informed decision, instead of a single religion being presented uncritically. Parent's can teach them whatever they like, but at least they will be exposed to other ideas.

Evolution should be taught in the science classroom where it belongs.

Djevv said:
Should it be the job of Christians to prove there is a God? My POV is that if it is reasonable to believe something then one should have the right to do so. So to me the question is, is the Christian faith reasonable? I think if nothing else on this thread, I have made a good case (and Jay as well) for it being thoroughly reasonable and even logical!

People can believe what they like.

There are plenty of illogical and unreasonable dogmas in Christianity that have been discussed ad nauseum on this thread.

Djevv said:
I think if nothing else on this thread, I have made a good case (and Jay as well) for it being thoroughly reasonable and even logical!

*chortle*

jayfox said:
There are many reasons. The fact that works alone can not get you to Heaven which is a distinction between Christianity and every other religion.

This says nothing about the validity of your belief....just an idiosyncracy of Christianity.

The fact that Muslims regard the Old Testament as gospel but the Old Testament contains around 100 prophecies of the Messiah's coming, all of which Jesus fulfills.

The New Testament authors wrote in full knowledge of the OT prophecies. Convenient eh?

The fact that The Bible is a consistent record of many people's experience's with God - the Koran is one mans, and even then he didn't actually write it himself.

And muslims would say that the Bible was written by man and subject to change over time, whereas the Koran is the transcribed word of God. What is wrong with their position compared to yours?

It is also the teachings of Jesus in the New Testament and the fact that Christians are supposed to try to follow His example in their lives. I believe that Jesus moral teachings are far better than many that are in the Koran.

Again, muslims would disagree. Don't you find it a tad convenient that you, as a Christian, prefer the teachings of Christ?

Why is your position more valid.

The list goes on and on but I am sure that this gives you and idea.

It gives me an idea that your beliefs are no more valid than those of other faiths.

Tiger74 said:

Not at all. What scientific evidence is there that supports creation thoery?

Panthera tigris FC said:
There is no God.
We are nothing but pattern seeking apes.
Life is meaningless
Morality is subjective.
One religion is as good as another
Faith is irrational
Evolution makes athiests 'intellectually fulfilled'.