Another milestone game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Another milestone game

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Hard to believe we cop these milestone games.

Now we have Kane Cornes in round 8...against us.....with a 300 game milestone, possibly retirement game as well.

Hard enough to try and win a bit of respect when playing Port, but this is just an added complication. Would not be expecting to win of course but was hoping for a decent effort.

Am I wrong or do we cop these milestone games more than any other club???

Geez we love to play the victim. Milestone games are a dime a dozen so we are bound to cop a few. Results are not influenced by whether one team has a milestone game.

Besides, we are playing a farewell game for Newman every week.

jb03 said:
Geez we love to play the victim. Milestone games are a dime a dozen so we are bound to cop a few. Results are not influenced by whether one team has a milestone game.

:hihi

But...he just won't leave...

jb03 said:

Agree with this. Get over it people ... I'm sure every club could rattle off the milestones they've been up against.
In any case, if there is a deliberate manipulation by an opponent to manufacture a milestone to be against the RFC, isn't that a back-handed compliment?
Who needs a milestone to get their players up for a game against the Tiges???

Agree with JB.

I reckon Dimma will make a joke of it, bit that would just show where his head is at.

Milestones shouldn't worry us at all.

Carter said:
Agree with JB.

I reckon Dimma will make a joke of it, bit that would just show where his head is at.

Milestones shouldn't worry us at all.
We'll lose the game and probably by a fair bit, as we never ever get over the line
when its a crunch or milestone game.

Favorite milestone game of all time was Hird & Sheedy's Melbourne farewell.

Meh. Milestone game. The only milestone the club should be worried about is the round where we can no longer make the finals.
My pick is round 15.

tommystigers said:
Meh. Milestone game. The only milestone the club should be worried about is the round where we can no longer make the finals.
My pick is round 15.
What about the milestone game where we win a game?

Teams love playing us in milestone games because more often than not, they get rewarded with an easy win.

We did roll Essendon on Sheedy's farewell game, although it was a milestone game for us, I think Andrew Raines played his 50th that day. We also beat Carlton in Silvagni's 300th. I can remember a Carlton supporter at work lamenting that they never won milestone games. We don't get them anymore than anyone else, though. It always seems that way when we're not travelling well. North always seemed to have these emotion charged games against us, the one for Mick Martyn's dad, the Jason McCartney comeback game.

Baloo said:
Favorite milestone game of all time was Hird & Sheedy's Melbourne farewell.

Agreed, loved it. Remember my Bomber mate saying to me in the bar post game we had no sense of occasion, i told him yes we did, it was Rainsy's 50th game !

The Dyer/Richards Cup, the Jack Dyer game and the Tommy Hafey game stick in my mind from the modern era. We failed big time to fly the flag for our true champions. I get nervous when there is any kind of pomp and ceremony. Pre game cavalcades scare me. My perception is that we go to water once the spotlight is on. Our recent finals reinforce that perception in my mind.

rosy23 said:
The Dyer/Richards Cup, the Jack Dyer game and the Tommy Hafey game stick in my mind from the modern era. We failed big time to fly the flag for our true champions. I get nervous when there is any kind of pomp and ceremony. Pre game cavalcades scare me. My perception is that we go to water once the spotlight is on. Our recent finals reinforce that perception in my mind.
Not the only one to do things like that. The Bulldogs couldn't get it done for EJ, either. I do agree that for whatever reason certain circumstances do seem to affect our players adversely, it also doesn't matter how often we turn the list over either, the same things continue to happen.