Alroy Gilligan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alroy Gilligan

DiscoStu

Disco Stu doesn't advertise
Nov 15, 2003
Melbourne
Reliably informed from a club contact that young Alroy has "gone walk-about" (not being funny, that is the quote) and the club is in the dark.

Explains why he has not been a regular (at all?) during the praccy matches. It'd be fair to say he's not in the Round 1 plans.

:afro

Geez.The news out of Richmond gets worse each day and we havn,t started the season yet :eek:

Gone walk about? You mean he's just left? ???

Sounds similar to the Chirs Yarran rumours of walking out on the club last year back home home to WA which turned out to be false (he was just there for a funeral or something).

DiscoStu said:
Reliably informed from a club contact that young Alroy has "gone walk-about" (not being funny, that is the quote) and the club is in the dark.

Explains why he has not been a regular (at all?) during the praccy matches. It'd be fair to say he's not in the Round 1 plans.

Come on guys, lets all keep positive. I am sure the coaching staff know what they are doing

DiscoStu said:

You do mean not in the Round 1 plans for Coburg right?? Cause he aint getting promoted.

He's not a nominated rookie anyway, so round 1 not an option for him.

If he has some sort of problem, hopefully he can get sorted to be back in contention if we get a long term injury.

We are all human, and he may just have a few problems to sort out.

Jack said:
He's not a nominated rookie anyway, so round 1 not an option for him.

If he has some sort of problem, hopefully he can get sorted to be back in contention if we get a long term injury.

We are all human, and he may just have a few problems to sort out.
Hmmm .... couple of ways to look at it. Graham Polak had some problems - a tram hit him in the head and near killed him. But he fought out of it from day 1 and has now earned the right to be called a Richmond player again. Now that's overcoming a problem.

If Alroy has shot through just because he lacks the appetite for the task of becoming an AFL player then one could argue that we should cut him loose pronto.

hopper said:
Hmmm .... couple of ways to look at it. Graham Polak had some problems - a tram hit him in the head and near killed him. But he fought out of it from day 1 and has now earned the right to be called a Richmond player again. Now that's overcoming a problem.

If Alroy has shot through just because he lacks the appetite for the task of becoming an AFL player then one could argue that we should cut him loose pronto.

Let's cut him some slack, at least until we know the full story. I think he has always been exemplary til now (or so far as I've heard). I am of the Kevin Sheedy belief that we need to handle indigenous players slightly differently. That isn't necessarily just a race thing; it partly reflects that they have often come from a very different culture, part of the country, etc etc to some of the city boys. I know Alroy is from a small, remote community, so if it turns out things have gotten a bit much for him, even for a short while, we should roll with it - bring him back, try and address any issues that make him uncomfortable, and move on. Harsh penalties aren't the way to keep a player like this.

HeadandShin said:
Let's cut him some slack, at least until we know the full story. I think he has always been exemplary til now (or so far as I've heard). I am of the Kevin Sheedy belief that we need to handle indigenous players slightly differently. That isn't necessarily just a race thing; it partly reflects that they have often come from a very different culture, part of the country, etc etc to some of the city boys. I know Alroy is from a small, remote community, so if it turns out things have gotten a bit much for him, even for a short while, we should roll with it - bring him back, try and address any issues that make him uncomfortable, and move on. Harsh penalties aren't the way to keep a player like this.

Nicely said :clap

HeadandShin said:
No worries with any of that. Of course the full story is required. It's just that Alroy has not yet grasped an opportunity and this is a very important time for him to take off. As many will know, I have great sympathy for the cause of our Indigenous people - but the RFC doesn't owe Alroy any AWOL time when it suits him. And it offers him no favours by tolerating it. Anyway if, as you say, he's been exemplary so far, then he deserves a chance to make amends.

tigertough12 said:
this is not a rumour.... its FACT... RFC have no idea where he's gone

Okay, so I guess Alroy has been at training and is committed to the RFC for the long haul.

Thanks for the news, TT12. :clap