A special night at the footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A special night at the footy

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
Please indulge me to start a new thread for this good news story.

I had one of my all time great nights at the footy last night. Went with tigersnake and my three kids (11,9,6). We saw a really hard fought, promising victory where so many of our supposed second string youngsters showed so much (White, Edwards, Nason, Angus, Farmer). Lids, Martin and JR starred. JR took a screamer right in front of us that had my 6 year old leaping out of his seat as he yelled R-E-I-W-O-L-D-T as he went up. I had sufficient of my hard-earned on us at $3 to pay for our petrol, tickets and a slap-up feed in the big city after the game AND to top it all off Daniel Jackson handed my 11 year old a signed black and yellow Sherrin after the siren! He is now in a quandary over whether his favourite player is Jacko or big Angus Graham! BTW, I shook Jackos hand after he gave my boy the ball and he has hands like anvils. I am a farmer and a stone mason and have a pretty good calloused grip, but Jacko nearly busted my hand!

I love the footy

Fantastic TGW. Kids (and you!) will remember and talk about it forever...and you will follow Jacko's fortunes on the field with more than passing interest!

He has his detractors, but Jacko is a club man who does more than his bit to promote the club off the field. My 7 year old son has a photo from a few years back taken with Jacko in Perth. Just a top bloke.

Also has a photo with Cotch, Dan Connors, Polly, all taken on the same day. Walked 10 feet tall for about 6 months after.

Streak said:
Also has a photo with Cotch, Dan Connors, Polly, all taken on the same day. Walked 10 feet tall for about 6 months after.

Brings a smile to my face :).

At the end of the day, that's what footy is all about.

Streak said:
He has his detractors, but Jacko is a club man who does more than his bit to promote the club off the field.

That says more about them than it does about Daniel.

Great post gollywog. Glad your night was made so special. A great way to top off our great win up there. I bet your son will treasure that ball, as will the hundreds of other kids who've received them in the past and the many thousands who will receive them in the future. :D

A colleague was telling me last week how he was in the rooms post match after the WCE game. His son had met Jacko before, and upon seeing the boy again Jacko came over for a word and rubbed his hair and told him to 'hang tough' - a reference to both of them being red heads, and the understanding of what it can be like to be a red head at school!

tigergollywog said:

I had one of my all time great nights at the footy last night. Went with tigersnake and my three kids (11,9,6). We saw a really hard fought, promising victory where so many of our supposed second string youngsters showed so much (White, Edwards, Nason, Angus, Farmer). Lids, Martin and JR starred. JR took a screamer right in front of us that had my 6 year old leaping out of his seat as he yelled R-E-I-W-O-L-D-T as he went up. I had sufficient of my hard-earned on us at $3 to pay for our petrol, tickets and a slap-up feed in the big city after the game AND to top it all off Daniel Jackson handed my 11 year old a signed black and yellow Sherrin after the siren! He is now in a quandary over whether his favourite player is Jacko or big Angus Graham! BTW, I shook Jackos hand after he gave my boy the ball and he has hands like anvils. I am a farmer and a stone mason and have a pretty good calloused grip, but Jacko nearly busted my hand!

I love the footy

Great Story and thanks for doing your bit up North for the Yellow and Black.

Great thread listening on the radio it seemed there was a decent amount of tiger supporters up there. :clap

WJP said:
Great thread listening on the radio it seemed there was a decent amount of tiger supporters up there. :clap
Not bigger in number, but alot bigger in noise.
Queenlander supporters seem to go missing when their team isn't winning every week. Unless they follow the RFC.

Just got back from a sortie to The GABBA for the first time. Sat in the Eastern Stand lower, just behind the point post. Had no idea we were going to be amongst so many Tiger Faithful.

This was THE best feeling at a game I have had in years.

Loved Matt Whites absolute sprint mark and goal. Highlight for mine. Special mention to Luke McGuane's crack into Buchanan's ribs, Dusty Martin's brilliant goal on the run, Fev's fresh airy on the goal line, and all our boys high fiving the crowd at that end of the ground after the game.

Thank you Richmond, I just could not believe how hard we were at the ball !

tigergollywog said:

I love the footy
:clap :clap :clap

Some days are diamonds

LOL.
I was in a party in Werribee last night and everyone was watching the Carlton game.

I raced out :hihi and walked anywhere to try to find a pub and found Werribee Plaza and in the bar they had the Tigers game on!!!!
There were 6 Tiger fans in there and a few randoms.
Only 6 of us but we made a big racket singing the song hehe. ;D

I missed the first half bugger but have it on iq to watch.

Cousins was unreal in the 3rd quarter.

Looked like the Cuz of old.

Great stuff about getting the ball of Jackson Googs.

Kids are Tigers for life now. :clap

tigergollywog said:

I love the footy
Was sitting just behind you.Was a great night.

WHAT a fantastic night! I'm not sure if that's 3 or 4 in a row up here. Met heaps of Melbourne people on Saturday. Thanks to all who came up and made our Pre-match and after match party a Great success. Highlight s from me.. Fev's point blank stuff up, Matty White's trip and Jumpin' Jacks grab. Lets not forget that we WON... Heartfelt thanks on behalf of the Qld Richmond Supporters Club to all you Tiges who helped make it a night we will Never forget. and dont forget next year.

3rd trip to the Gabba for Mrs. HB and I, and we are unbeaten :clap Gotta love these trips up from the Melbourne winter.

Had a great night. Thanks to Obelix for navigating us to the Broadway (I wasn't in condition to read a map :p)

Red Sea Tiger said:
Just got back from a sortie to The GABBA for the first time. Sat in the Eastern Stand lower, just behind the point post. Had no idea we were going to be amongst so many Tiger Faithful.

This was THE best feeling at a game I have had in years.

Loved Matt Whites absolute sprint mark and goal. Highlight for mine. Special mention to Luke McGuane's crack into Buchanan's ribs, Dusty Martin's brilliant goal on the run, Fev's fresh airy on the goal line, and all our boys high fiving the crowd at that end of the ground after the game.

Thank you Richmond, I just could not believe how hard we were at the ball !

That Matty White sprint to mark and goal was a huge highlight for mine - couldn't stop smiling after witnessing that - pure speed - NO one else could have done that.

Hartbalme said:
3rd trip to the Gabba for Mrs. HB and I, and we are unbeaten :clap Gotta love these trips up from the Melbourne winter.

Had a great night. Thanks to Obelix for navigating us to the Broadway (I wasn't in condition to read a map :p)

Great to hear. You're our official mascots for Gabba games from now on. Glad Obelix did his bit to help the winning streak continue. :clapping