A question for fellow Old Timers? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A question for fellow Old Timers?

bowden4president said:
Browny on the Sunday Footy show also compared to Royce Hart saying it was on a footy card somewhere.
I saw that too. It was a hell of a mark. I was sitting there on Friday night when he took this and everyone there just jumped up and shouted. Jack puts in a contender for mark of the year every week.

monteath said:
Nothing will match Royce Hart's mark in the last quarter of the 1967 Grand Final. Hot day, 15 mins to go. All leap, no ride. This turns game and we win flag. From a 19 yo in his first season.

Nevertheless Jack's mark was good. His game was better. We finally have a forward around whom the forward line can be rebuilt.

Thought I'd post here for the context of my avatar. Actually I think it was somewhat less than 15 - like about 10, and at the time scores were level.

Jack's mark was great, Royce's mark was better, but Roachy's mark was the best that I have seen.
He jumped so high it took him a week to come down ;D

Royce Hart had a unique way of drifting across the front of a pack, coming in from the side and leaping into the mark. I've never seen another player, from any team, take marks like that. He used to do it regularly.

Jack's mark the other night was a beauty.

TT33 said:
Jack's mark was great, Royce's mark was better, but Roachy's mark was the best that I have seen.
He jumped so high it took him a week to come down ;D
Michael Mitchell's wasn't bad either.

Hart's sideways leap was unique. Also very hard to defend against.

Some of Jack's skills remind me of Wacko Jacko. I'm waiting for a celebratory handstand sometime soon!

Hayfever said:
Some of Jack's skills remind me of Wacko Jacko. I'm waiting for a celebratory handstand sometime soon!

There is a bit of Wacko Jacko there.

He is becoming a bit of a nightmare matchup because he can take that special mark, but he can also get his hands on the ball when it hits the ground. He is more dangerous if he drops the mark than if he takes it at present because he sill has the kicking yips on the set shot. His creativity with the bouncing ball is very awkward.

He'll be a very dangerous player if Griffiths can stand up over the next couple of seasons and provide the big, contested-marking presence.

As the proud flyer of the Royce Hart fan club happy to have his name mentioned again so the younguns realise we were once a very good team.

JR this season has taken a huge step forward and it he can fill a RH role then we are on our way.

In the air it was Royce like, the legs up, the back arched, the float to the ball.

But lets face it, Royce rarely seemd to use other players as step ladders. He seemd to just float across the front of a pack or a contest and pluck the ball from mid air.

BillyJean17 said:
I reckon JR8 plays FF an awful lot like Tony Modra did :clap
i've made a similar comprison but only loosley based on 3 traits: ariel skills, ground skills and excitement value. must be said thay Jack's a gun in his own right and is unique in his own talents.

Jack is a star.

Just about the best forward in the country at present.

Has confidence, reads the flight of the ball ahead of EVERYONE else in the game, is strong, timing his leap perfectly & does what not many can & thats take the ball at the top of his leap.

Only thing he lacks is a quick yard. But his dual sidedness (massively underrated) & everything else above more tha makes up for it.

We are a lucky club to have him & the chimp to lead us through the next decade.

Leysy Days said:
Jack is a star.

Just about the best forward in the country at present.

Has confidence, reads the flight of the ball ahead of EVERYONE else in the game, is strong, timing his leap perfectly & does what not many can & thats take the ball at the top of his leap.

Only thing he lacks is a quick yard. But his dual sidedness (massively underrated) & everything else above more tha makes up for it.

We are a lucky club to have him & the chimp to lead us through the next decade.

I sat behind the goals during the Richmond-Hawthorn game and the first thing that struck me was how much attention he was getting when setting up for marks. He had two or three Hawk defenders surrounding him who were trying to push him off his line before the ball was even kicked, a sure sign that there was a fair amount of respect for what he could do. He held his position strongly despite teh buffetting and still managed first hands on the ball when it came in.

Respect for Francis Jackson is warranted. It was clear at that 2006 Draft Night that he rated him extremely highly and he recognised a talent that other recruiters didn't see. Collingwood, for example, took both Ben Reid and Nathan Brown before him and neither looks to be quite in the same class.

That mark by Jack was one of the best I have seen by a Richmond player for many years.

I think Hart used to float throw the air more than Jack, he was one of the greats. His ability to lift his intensity and play at his best when the game was in the balance was outstanding, he was the definition of "when the going gets tough the tough get going". Back in those days nearly every mark taken in the forward line was contested and Hart took some beauties.

If Jack could be as good as Hart then we'll all be very happy.

Hate to compare anyone to Royce but if Jack can carry on the number 8 mantle from Michael Roach I would be wrapped. Roachy could take a screamer or two himself. Hundred goals would also be pretty handy.

poppa x said:
Speaking as an old-timer..

In marking contests Hart was a ballet dancer
Jack is a Mack truck

2c

True.

Did you see any resemblence to the arch in the back - the floating through the air - the knee on the opponents shoulder - and the single vice like grab? That mark by Jack just reminded me of Royce Hart.....

He's like hart in that he seems to have arrived very young. Apart from that, as others have said, the Hart levitational sideways leap was unique, although Petersen's mark last week was Hart-esque for Hawforn.

I was at the dome for the first time last Friday. If Jack maintains this form, wow, the mind boggles. He's very good at a lot of things, Leap, leading under, contested, roving a pack, the lead, the clokey-like arse-bump, and a big one for me that I've only ever seen Buddy do, maybe Richo at times, rove a spilt ball from a pack that he himself has crashed. He was amazing last friday, you knew he was gunna take the mark regardless of the situation, and they were tough situations that he was able to manipulate to his advantage.

Oh and as rT said, he's one grab, gold.

I am an old timer and saw a lot of Royce's games. He floated across the front of packs whereas JackR's marks looks more traditional (yes a bit like Richo).

I do like what I see.
:) ;) :)