3rd quarter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

3rd quarter

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
3rd q goals
22 goals for us - 32 goals to the opposition

That's a pretty significant negative differential for a team that's win 6/ lost 4.

I wonder how we tighten up our third quarter issue.

Ill look up the differentials for the other quarters tomorrow (Later today).

1st qs 28- 27 = +1
2nd q 35-25. +10
3rd q 22-32 -10
Final 39-25. +14

Total 124 - 109 (+15)

Actually we need to lift our game starts too, according to the stats, although last night told a different story

DirtyDogTiger said:
3rd q goals
22 goals for us - 32 goals to the opposition

That's a pretty significant negative differential for a team that's win 6/ lost 4.

I wonder how we tighten up our third quarter issue.

Ill look up the differentials for the other quarters tomorrow (Later today).
It generally seems to be our worst quarter for some reason. We do always come out real hard in the last, though. I'd like to tighten up the 3rd quarter and put the games away, but our last quarters are showing that we're about as fit as I can ever remember and are also an indication of a growing mental hardness.

These last few games has shown that we may wilt at times in a match but we don't break. Something I have noticed that generally each player knows he has support from his team mates in a given situation. Something that was missing in the first few matches

Might be the result of some left-field thinking by the coaching staff. 3rd term traditionally known as the "championship quarter"... maybe we put up the shutters and conserve energy for the last?

Or it might simply be down to bad football.

It is interesting , in a winning game you can understand that you dont win every quarter , But why is the third the worst ?

If you hadve asked me beforehand , I wouldve guessed our first was the worst ,

Did the freo win and the big first quarter there help those stats , Im guessing they were in negative before this game ?

CarnTheTiges said:
It generally seems to be our worst quarter for some reason. We do always come out real hard in the last, though. I'd like to tighten up the 3rd quarter and put the games away, but our last quarters are showing that we're about as fit as I can ever remember and are also an indication of a growing mental hardness.

It's the maturity I'm loving this year.
Dynasty approaching.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Might be the result of some left-field thinking by the coaching staff. 3rd term traditionally known as the "championship quarter"... maybe we put up the shutters and conserve energy for the last?

I think things have changed a bit from thinking the 3rd is where it all happens. I now think that the team that get on top in the second often go on to win the game. Geelong (back at their peak) seemed to make a move mid second quarter and kick a run of goals - you would often see a weaker team come out - put up a fight for a qtr then the better team would then grab the game during the second qtr and not wait to do it in the second half.

There are exceptions obviously as not all teams or games follow the same script - eg North seem to win against us in the 3rd as they have done that to us in both the last 2 games against us.

I have no stats for this, just a hunch

I agree on the low scoring 3Qs but the 7 - 1 quarter against Nth which hopefully was an aberration is making that stat look worse than it is. Whilst we've been holding clubs I'd certainly like to see more 3Q goals. I think as the confidence grows we may see this stat turn around as our slingshot develops into a missile battery!

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

I reckon it's Sheedy thinking, L2. Particularly 2000.

The thinking was that a premiership team consistently had the class and planning to put the game beyond doubt in the third and simply had to hold out in the final quarter. Good thinking.

Sheedy rightly decided that the smart thing to do was to blitz the game in the second (or even first), ambushing third quarter planners but exposing the defensiveness of the second quarter blitzer in the third.

That's us. We're a first half blitzer, third quarter sandbagger, fourth quarter rally side. Our third quarter is not just about defensiveness, it's about sapping the other team of energy while we rest up from our blitz and recover for our rally.

We had a short lapse against North but that was the game we started to get all this right. And but for that little period when we let them play their filthy filthy brand we were tight, super aggressive, disciplined and drilled. But it was the third that *smile* us.

Everybody is onto this. It was fascinating to see if we could do it to Freo. We blitzed the first. Had to in Perth. Kept it going into the second sealing the match. Game over in theory.

We leaked a bit too much after that. Our third was exacerbated by the monstering of Ivan at the CBs. (Considering that it was ok.)

And we squandered simple goal shots in the fourth, the rallying quarter. (Ivan. Griffiths. *smile*.)

The beauty of was that even though Lyon knew exactly what we would do we were too experienced for Fremantle.

year of the tiger said:
I think things have changed a bit from thinking the 3rd is where it all happens. I now think that the team that get on top in the second often go on to win the game. Geelong (back at their peak) seemed to make a move mid second quarter and kick a run of goals - you would often see a weaker team come out - put up a fight for a qtr then the better team would then grab the game during the second qtr and not wait to do it in the second half.

There are exceptions obviously as not all teams or games follow the same script - eg North seem to win against us in the 3rd as they have done that to us in both the last 2 games against us.

I have no stats for this, just a hunch

I like your hunch, yott.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

I think its something like this but only when we're ahead as we have been in these last 4 weeks.

In the last 4 games we are +14 goals

2 games Against this years top 4, and 2 against last years top 8.

First q + 7
Second q +8
for the third q we are - 6.
Fourth + 5

our first qs have improved and our 4th had dropped back a little

Good thought L2R and dyer

Dyer'ere said:
That's us. We're a first half blitzer, third quarter sandbagger, fourth quarter rally side. Our third quarter is not just about defensiveness, it's about sapping the other team of energy while we rest up from our blitz and recover for our rally.
That nails it. It's also worth remembering that the lead in the Collingwood game did change in the last after our second quarter blitz, and we had to wrest it back, and we were able to do that. Since then we've established a lead earlier that we think we can defend when the opposition comes at us. The only game in these 4 where we haven't blitzed at some point was Essendon, and even then there were periods where we looked to be taking it away from them. Hardwick has also started to coach on his feet, he's adapted to injuries during the games which throw his own structures out, and he's countered opposition moves, as well as worked out specific plans to combat them. Essendon like to run and carry, so we slow it down and play tempo against them, which frustrates them. Almost allowed Freo to get the clearances, but countered it by making them ineffective. Forced Port to go for low percentage shots at goal in the 3rd.

sausage_meat69 said:
I agree on the low scoring 3Qs but the 7 - 1 quarter against Nth which hopefully was an aberration is making that stat look worse than it is. Whilst we've been holding clubs I'd certainly like to see more 3Q goals. I think as the confidence grows we may see this stat turn around as our slingshot develops into a missile battery!

Yeah 7-1 against North and 5-1 against Melbourne. We've outscored Geelong, Brisbane, Carlton in the 3rd and all other games were just 1 or 2 goals difference. For me it's the final score that's important. I don't think there's too much to read into the 3rd quarter stats personally.

Still think we make our move in the second for some reason - like rd 1 v Carlton as the example although port and dockers games they clearly aimed to take the crowd out of the game early

year of the tiger said:
Still think we make our move in the second for some reason - like rd 1 v Carlton as the example although port and dockers games they clearly aimed to take the crowd out of the game early
Collingwood's a really good example of making the move in the second. Looked dreadful in the first and then unleashed an 8 goal second. Very few, if any, at the ground on the day saw that coming.